DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Caching maps in DJI Fly and Smart Controller

maggior

Reactions
I have to say I was disappointed when I realized that there is no way to cache maps in the DJI Fly app. I am using a Smart Controller, but the issue seems to be with the app, not the controller. I tried zooming in on areas to cache the maps and it didn't work too well. Honestly that's a kludgy workaround anyway.

I figured out how to set up a hotspot on my phone so I get my maps that way if I need to, but I'd rather not since there are areas I will fly that have very spotty cell coverage.

Anybody have a feel for when/if this capability will be added to DJI Fly? It seems like a significant miss in features since DJI GO has this capability and I can cache maps with my budget drones.

On a positive note, I got my MA2 yesterday and have updated all of the hardware to the latest firmware, activated everything, and got myself DJI Care Refresh to give me some peace of mind. After work today I'm headed out to a familiar wide open field to take it up for the first time.

Reactions: Prismatic
I'm keeping an eye out, too. Since the release of the MA2 and my subsequent purchase of the "Smart" Controller I've been sending requests to DJI Support via chat, email, and snail mail :) ... (obviously to no avail). Similar requests have been made on the DJI Forum, but that's not really a place I'd expect to get anywhere with. The general contention is that the issue is with DJI Fly App, particularly because customers who use the Go4 app on the Smart Controller have that capability.

Reactions: maggior
I have to say I was disappointed when I realized that there is no way to cache maps in the DJI Fly app. I am using a Smart Controller, but the issue seems to be with the app, not the controller. I tried zooming in on areas to cache the maps and it didn't work too well. Honestly that's a kludgy workaround anyway.

I figured out how to set up a hotspot on my phone so I get my maps that way if I need to, but I'd rather not since there are areas I will fly that have very spotty cell coverage.

Anybody have a feel for when/if this capability will be added to DJI Fly? It seems like a significant miss in features since DJI GO has this capability and I can cache maps with my budget drones.

On a positive note, I got my MA2 yesterday and have updated all of the hardware to the latest firmware, activated everything, and got myself DJI Care Refresh to give me some peace of mind. After work today I'm headed out to a familiar wide open field to take it up for the first time.
How are you using a phone with your Smart Controller? It already has built in screen or are you confusing the Remote Controller that needs a phone / tablet with a Smart Controller? 2 different beasts.

Don't bet on DJI Refresh. Go to State Farm or other insurance companies and get a drone policy. Less than $100 typically for a year and they cover far more than DJI will under refresh - esp in case of a crash / lost drone you don't find. Way faster than DJI responding as well.

How are you using a phone with your Smart Controller? It already has built in screen or are you confusing the Remote Controller that needs a phone / tablet with a Smart Controller? 2 different beasts.

Don't bet on DJI Refresh. Go to State Farm or other insurance companies and get a drone policy. Less than $100 typically for a year and they cover far more than DJI will under refresh - esp in case of a crash / lost drone you don't find. Way faster than DJI responding as well.

The smart controller can only connect to the internet through wifi, so when I'm out flying I have no internet connection for DJI Fly to retrieve map data for where I am. To get around this I set my phone up to act as a hostspot and I connect my smart controller to it via wifi. This works, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Reactions: Clarkent

Oh, for pete's sake. I was thinking of upgrading from my MA(1), but this verges on a dealbreaker for me. My most important flights are almost universally out of cell coverage. Satellite imagery can be a make-or-break resource at flight time. The DJI Go4 'caching solution' to the problem is but-uggly and woefully incomplete , but it's a tiny bit better than nothing, and sometimes a lifesaver. Sounds like an Air 2 would upgrade me to "nothing". ?

I hope your Air 2 brings you a ton of good times. Light winds to you!

Oh, for pete's sake. I was thinking of upgrading from my MA(1), but this verges on a dealbreaker for me. My most important flights are almost universally out of cell coverage. Satellite imagery can be a make-or-break resource at flight time. The DJI Go4 'caching solution' to the problem is but-uggly and woefully incomplete , but it's a tiny bit better than nothing, and sometimes a lifesaver. Sounds like an Air 2 would upgrade me to "nothing". ?

I hope your Air 2 brings you a ton of good times. Light winds to you!

The map caching via WiFi may actually work. Over the weekend I went to a location where I had tried the work around to cache the maps. I brought the map up before tethering to my phone and voila, the maps were already there to my pleasant surpirse.

In the experiment I did at my house, I went on WiFi and looked around on the map at an area I fly at. I then disconnected from Wifi and went there on the map but the map data wasn't there. I must not have waited long enough for the screen to update or something because the map data I used over the weekend was what I pulled down during that experiment.

Yeah, my MA2 is really a treat so far. I got another "RC compass needs calibration" message that took me 4 or 5 tries to get past. Hoping that doesn't become a regular thing :) .

Light winds to you as well!

The map caching via WiFi may actually work. Over the weekend I went to a location where I had tried the work around to cache the maps. I brought the map up before tethering to my phone and voila, the maps were already there to my pleasant surpirse.

In the experiment I did at my house, I went on WiFi and looked around on the map at an area I fly at. I then disconnected from Wifi and went there on the map but the map data wasn't there. I must not have waited long enough for the screen to update or something because the map data I used over the weekend was what I pulled down during that experiment.

Yeah, my MA2 is really a treat so far. I got another "RC compass needs calibration" message that took me 4 or 5 tries to get past. Hoping that doesn't become a regular thing :) .

Light winds to you as well!
If you turned off the SC between the time you 'capture' your destination map and actually going there, the destination map was lost. FWIW, I tried something similar, but left the controller on until I got to the destination. It was a test, so loss of battery charge wasn't an issue.

I suppose you could accomplish the same thing and save battery, by keeping it attached to a car charger during the journey. I'll probably try that after good flying returns to my area.

If you turned off the SC between the time you 'capture' your destination map and actually going there, the destination map was lost. FWIW, I tried something similar, but left the controller on until I got to the destination. It was a test, so loss of battery charge wasn't an issue.

I suppose you could accomplish the same thing and save battery, by keeping it attached to a car charger during the journey. I'll probably try that after good flying returns to my area.

I had powered my controller down between caching the map and flying at the location.

Seems there is inconsistent behavior with this. Maybe it will be fixed in the version of DJI Fly that comes out for the Air 2s...one could hope anyway :)

I had powered my controller down between caching the map and flying at the location.

Seems there is inconsistent behavior with this. Maybe it will be fixed in the version of DJI Fly that comes out for the Air 2s...one could hope anyway :)
Don’t know whether it’s a recent update or because I am stupid, but today, for the first time, I was able to cache maps in FLY and LITCHI on my original Smart Controller (yes, I know it was always possible in GO4). And the map was still there after I turned the SC off and on again.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143