DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calibration of Mavic Pro compass

Mavic19963

Reactions
I recently moved from DE to NC. When I first took flight with my Mavic Pro in NC, I saw that the compass needed to be calibrated. So as per instructions, I attempted to recalibrate. No luck! Tried everything, but still not able to correct this. One time, with Mavic’s nose pointing away from me, the little ‘radar’ showed it pointing at me.
Anybody got a silver bullet for this?
Thank you.

Did the app tell you that the calibration failed, or are you just going by your interpretation of the arrow?

Where the arrow is pointing relative to you is not an indication of the state of the aircraft compass. Where it is pointing on the map relative to the actual compass heading of the aircraft on the ground is what matters.

Thanks for the reply sar104. When I performed the calibration, it was successful according to the app.
Before all this happened, I would stand directly behind the Mavic with the controller mirroring it’s forward orientation. Without moving the controller, I would yaw the AC and the radar would show the correct orientation the AC is facing but that’s no happening now. When I do a 90 degree yaw counterclockwise, the head of the AC should show a heading of 270 degrees relative to my controller position.
Also, when I go into the GO4 app, the app is still requiring calibration, even though the calibration was apparently successfull.
Hope I’m making some sense.

Did the app tell you that the calibration failed, or are you just going by your interpretation of the arrow?

Where the arrow is pointing relative to you is not an indication of the state of the aircraft compass. Where it is pointing on the map relative to the actual compass heading of the aircraft on the ground is what matters.
Crap! I’m a bit rusty at this forum thing and wondered if I was replying to myself.
Thanks for the reply sar104. When I performed the calibration, it was successful according to the app.
Before all this happened, I would stand directly behind the Mavic with the controller mirroring it’s forward orientation. Without moving the controller, I would yaw the AC and the radar would show the correct orientation the AC is facing but that’s no happening now. When I do a 90 degree yaw counterclockwise, the head of the AC should show a heading of 270 degrees relative to my controller position.
Also, when I go into the GO4 app, the app is still requiring calibration, even though the calibration was apparently successfull.

No - you have to ignore anything relative to the controller position because that convolves other somewhat random variables, including the controller location and your mobile device compass. You need to look at the aircraft arrow on the map, relative to north, not relative to the controller orientation, and check if the aircraft arrow on the map is pointing in the same direction as the actual heading of the aircraft (the direction that it is facing). You can also then turn the aircraft and check that the arrow rotates on the map, relative to north.

So for example, set the aircraft on the ground facing north, power it up, and check the arrow on the map in the app to see if the arrow is correctly pointing north.

Just an old issue that hasn't been addressed in awhile. Make sure your not near concrete or metal as that can effect your compass accuracy and calibration. It may not be related to your problem, but thought you might want to keep that in mind.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
da4o98