DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Call me "Stupid" or Stu. - Mavic Pro Controllers.

stubaz

Reactions
I have a Mavic Pro Platinum with two controllers. I wanted to get my wife involved in flying so purchased the extra controller to use in a buddy system. Just after purchasing the Mavic I was carted off to hospital for 3 months and never got around to flying the Mavic. As I'm now confined to bed, it's been languishing in a wardrobe, still unflown.

Along comes a guy who asks to borrow one of the controllers. I was dumb enough to say OK. The following day he returns and tells me the controller isn't working, so I loaned him the second one. He returned the controllers, both with flat batteries. Which I failed to check before forgetting about them. A month later I got them out to charge them up but found neither would charge. in fact I couldn't insert the plug to charge them. I now know he wrecked the sockets and left me with two unusable controllers.

I've checked Ebay for a replacement and discovered the small PC boards with usable sockets. The trouble is I can almost buy a used controller for almost the same money, BUT do those controllers have faulty sockets? I've been caught on Ebay before.

My question is, does anyone have a controller for sale? Or does anyone know if I can buy a replacement controller to take the place if the standard unit? I'm reluctant to buy the original version again in case it's socket goes the same wacy. Maybe I have no choice, but perhaps someone has had a similar battle with Mavic Pro controllers and can point me in the right direction

By the way, the guy who borrowed the controllers has vanished, it's rumoured he left town to work elsewhere.

Have you looked at replacing just the socket? Be wary they are probably micro USB type A sockets and NOT the type B socket used in phones. See USB hardware - Wikipedia.
You might also need to check whether or not micro USB sockets are automatically OTG sockets but how you would do that I do not know

I too would like to have a second controller for my MPP, and really don't mind buying one from ebay.... except for the prices they're asking. I'm more concerned about a flagging battery on a 6-plus-year-old electronic device than a wrecked USB port.

But in your situation, I would go ahead and buy one and just make sure it has a decent return period listed in the ad.

I've read often over the years of wrecked USB ports on those controllers - and I just absolutely DO NOT understand how that could happen! Unless someone tried to jam a screwdriver in there or something?

If you lived in the US I'd say send them both to me and I'll fix them and send one back.

Good luck.

I too would like to have a second controller for my MPP, and really don't mind buying one from ebay.... except for the prices they're asking. I'm more concerned about a flagging battery on a 6-plus-year-old electronic device than a wrecked USB port.

But in your situation, I would go ahead and buy one and just make sure it has a decent return period listed in the ad.

I've read often over the years of wrecked USB ports on those controllers - and I just absolutely DO NOT understand how that could happen! Unless someone tried to jam a screwdriver in there or something?

If you lived in the US I'd say send them both to me and I'll fix them and send one back.

Good luck.
The problem with the socket is the surround. Normally it's wider on the top and narrower on the bottom. For some weird reason DJI uses a socket which is as wide both top and bottom. This means you can try to insert the plug in either orientation. If you try to insert it upside down and use too much force it bends the pins and makes it unusable. It's almost as if it's been done on purpose, to sell more controllers or make a lot of money in repairs. Why it would cost almost $100 for a board which wouldn't cost any more than a few dollars to manufacture is beyond me.

I had considered replacing the socket, only BUT with which one? THAT, is the question. :) I also find it hard to pay $200 or more on another controller when I already have two in as new condition except for a 50 cent part. I know I sound like Mr. Scrooge, but I'm sure the guys on a war pension know how tough it is when prices on everything is going through the roof, and the pension stays put. The only reason I could have bought the Mavic was due to a 16 year old debt being paid.

With regards to ebay, check the T&C for ebay Australia.
If they are the same as those for eBay UK then an item sold in the "used" condition category must work as the manufacturer intended and that would include the side socket.

The following presumes Australian eBay rules are the same as those in the Uk.

If you bought a controller, sold in the "used" condition category, and the side socket does not work then that is grounds for a "not as described " return. This is at the seller's prepaid expence and the return method MUST be trackable.
On confirmation of the item's return ( hence the need for tracking ), you are due a full refund of the purchase price INCLUDING the original carriage charge which means the seller ends up out of pocket.

I got a refund from eBay for an item that was in the seller's local sorting office, delivery had been attempted and no one answered the door so the item was taken back to the sorting office.

With regards to ebay, check the T&C for ebay Australia.
If they are the same as those for eBay UK then an item sold in the "used" condition category must work as the manufacturer intended and that would include the side socket.

The following presumes Australian eBay rules are the same as those in the Uk.

If you bought a controller, sold in the "used" condition category, and the side socket does not work then that is grounds for a "not as described " return. This is at the seller's prepaid expence and the return method MUST be trackable.
On confirmation of the item's return ( hence the need for tracking ), you are due a full refund of the purchase price INCLUDING the original carriage charge which means the seller ends up out of pocket.

I got a refund from eBay for an item that was in the seller's local sorting office, delivery had been attempted and no one answered the door so the item was taken back to the sorting office.
Actually, every controller for sale in Aus is listed "For Parts" I assume that means it doesn't work. Unless Ebay have once again changed the rules.

The problem with the socket is the surround. Normally it's wider on the top and narrower on the bottom. For some weird reason DJI uses a socket which is as wide both top and bottom.
As I understand things it is a requirement of the USB design protocol for the types of communication that is/are desired. It has nothing to do with DJI's desire to sell controllers because of breakages.
Why it would cost almost $100 for a board which wouldn't cost any more than a few dollars to manufacture is beyond me.
Because that's what sellers can get away with .
Actually, every controller for sale in Aus is listed "For Parts"
Are there none listed in the used category as shown in the first of the attached?
If they are in that "used" category then it is eBay's definition of that category that counts, not any blurb in the seller's text.

If push comes to shove eBay, at least in the UK, go by their definition. The seller's text could say it is for part only but that wouldn't matter, eBay would say well then you should have sold it in the "For parts or not working" category, as shown in the second attachment
BUT with which one? THAT, is the question.
It is a micro USB type A socket, as mentioned in post 2. The only remaining question is whether or not there are OTG micro USB type A sockets AND not-OTG micro USB type A sockets?
There you are on your own, perhaps ask on an electronics forum.

Attachments

• Used condition category.png
    Used condition category.png
    202.4 KB · Views: 6
  • for parts condition category.png
    for parts condition category.png
    388.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
listed "For Parts" I assume that means it doesn't work.
Yes sir, to my way of thinking 'for parts' means non-working.

Regarding the orientation of a micro USB plug and socket, I came up with a foolproof method of always knowing which way to plug in. My old beloved S7 Android phone uses mUSB, with the short side facing up, on many of my other devices the short side is facing down. So I use a single hole punch on a piece of aluminum duct tape with peel off backing, punch out several little round circles and stick it to the cable connector on the short side.20221117_041008.jpg20221117_035221.jpg

Yes sir, to my way of thinking 'for parts' means non-working.

Regarding the orientation of a micro USB plug and socket, I came up with a foolproof method of always knowing which way to plug in. My old beloved S7 Android phone uses mUSB, with the short side facing up, on many of my other devices the short side is facing down. So I use a single hole punch on a piece of aluminum duct tape with peel off backing, punch out several little round circles and stick it to the cable connector on the short side.
I am not being awkward but if the likes of the first advert I posted had "THIS ITEM IS FOR PARTS ONLY" in the advert's text, it would not matter. If the controller etc. did not work as DJI intended then the buyer is entitled to a refund blah blah blah ...... because the item was sold in the "used" category, as shown ringed in read.
If the seller wished for "THIS ITEM IS FOR PARTS ONLY" to carry any weight then the item would have to be sold in the "For parts or not working" condition category, as shown, ringed in blue, in my second attachment.
I checked this once with eBay UK because a seller was advertising something in the used category but had "for parts only, no returns" or something similar in their advert's text.

I have a Mavic Pro Platinum with two controllers. I wanted to get my wife involved in flying so purchased the extra controller to use in a buddy system. Just after purchasing the Mavic I was carted off to hospital for 3 months and never got around to flying the Mavic. As I'm now confined to bed, it's been languishing in a wardrobe, still unflown.

Along comes a guy who asks to borrow one of the controllers. I was dumb enough to say OK. The following day he returns and tells me the controller isn't working, so I loaned him the second one. He returned the controllers, both with flat batteries. Which I failed to check before forgetting about them. A month later I got them out to charge them up but found neither would charge. in fact I couldn't insert the plug to charge them. I now know he wrecked the sockets and left me with two unusable controllers.

I've checked Ebay for a replacement and discovered the small PC boards with usable sockets. The trouble is I can almost buy a used controller for almost the same money, BUT do those controllers have faulty sockets? I've been caught on Ebay before.

My question is, does anyone have a controller for sale? Or does anyone know if I can buy a replacement controller to take the place if the standard unit? I'm reluctant to buy the original version again in case it's socket goes the same wacy. Maybe I have no choice, but perhaps someone has had a similar battle with Mavic Pro controllers and can point me in the right direction

By the way, the guy who borrowed the controllers has vanished, it's rumoured he left town to work elsewhere.
Buy a button board for a M2P controller and swap out the charging port with the MPP board.

The problem with the socket is the surround. Normally it's wider on the top and narrower on the bottom. For some weird reason DJI uses a socket which is as wide both top and bottom. This means you can try to insert the plug in either orientation. If you try to insert it upside down and use too much force it bends the pins and makes it unusable. It's almost as if it's been done on purpose, to sell more controllers or make a lot of money in repairs. Why it would cost almost $100 for a board which wouldn't cost any more than a few dollars to manufacture is beyond me.

I had considered replacing the socket, only BUT with which one? THAT, is the question. :) I also find it hard to pay $200 or more on another controller when I already have two in as new condition except for a 50 cent part. I know I sound like Mr. Scrooge, but I'm sure the guys on a war pension know how tough it is when prices on everything is going through the roof, and the pension stays put. The only reason I could have bought the Mavic was due to a 16 year old debt being paid.
It's so dji can have a semi proprietary plug that will still accept a typical USB cable. But at the same time it's probably a good idea to have a snug fit. But the side plug is only good for charging, not for flying with. The regular USB port on the bottom of the controller is the better option for flying.

It's so dji can have a semi proprietary plug that will still accept a typical USB cable. But at the same time it's probably a good idea to have a snug fit. But the side plug is only good for charging, not for flying with. The regular USB port on the bottom of the controller is the better option for flying.
Perhaps you might look at
in particular the "Plug " section about half way down the page

OK guys, good news. I found a great deal on a "As New" controller and I know I'm going to get shot, Hung Drawn and quartered and probably dropped off a cliff, but it also came with a as new Mavic Pro with a 4K camera. plus all the accessories. Along the way I was tempted to grab a Mavic Pro 2there were a couple of excellently priced units, but I stuck with the Mavic Pro due to the controller problem.

So one mini crisis overcome, now I only have to worry about "She who must be obeyed" If I wake up dead in the morning, I'll know why.

Thank you all for your comments and advice. Happy flying to you all. Stu

I wonder if 2 chargeless controllers are worth anything? and any advice on how to fly two Mavics at the same time? Just joking :)

now I only have to worry about "She who must be obeyed" If I wake up dead in the morning, I'll know why.
You mean you didn't check with your CFO first? 😁

I wonder if 2 chargeless controllers are worth anything?
I wonder how much shipping costs from Australia to GA USA? ;)

I'm sorry, they went within 5 minutes of asking the question. The offer was $100 each which I couldn't refuse.. What the heck is a CFO? As for the shipping, "TBM"

What the heck is a CFO?
In a business it's the Chief Financial Officer... in my case = my wife ;)

Glad you got them sold and for a good price too!

What's TBM?

TBM = Too Bl**dy Much. OK with CFO, My wife is known as "The Bank Manager" but to be honest, not a bad one. She moans and complains a lot, but has the satisfaction of knowing I'm not wasting my money on other women, cigarettes or booze. :) She didn't flinch when I explained my Mavic had gained a brother.

So now I'm the proud owner owner of 3 fully working controllers and two Mavics. Even if the controllers weren't repairable I wouldn't blame my friend for "breaking" them. He wasn't aware of the socket problem any more than I was. He offered to pay for the repairs until I told him they couldn't be fixed and how much a replacement costs, either new or used. I'll probably think twice before loaning them out again, but I doubt the question will ever surface again anyway. In fact I may as well give him one of them, who needs two spares? I'll keep each Mavic's original unit. The Platinum is fitted with a Glass screen protector and a silicone overcoat so it's a keeper. Oh yes, I also have a button board as a spare part as well. I paid almost $40 for it when most sellers are asking closer to $10. Strange when the Mavic Two controller board sells for $10. It looks identical to the Mavic Pro 1, but I'm assuming it doesn't have a non-standard charging socket :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PilotOne