DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Calling all Mavic and Spark users - real world differences?

Jose Ramos

Reactions
Note: I've also posted this on the Spark forum, so that I can gather info from users who have both drones but only participate in one of the forums.

Hello there,

I've had my Dji Spark for two months. Right now I'm sitting on the fence about accepting a deal to add a Mavic Pro to the lineup. The DJI Spark was my first ever drone and, even though I've had a LOT of problems with it (GPS lost issues, currently under warranty processing), I'm loving the possibilities a drone offers to complement my photographic activity.

Since purchasing the Mavic is still a big investment, considering my budget I have a few real world questions about the Mavic Vs Spark:

1) Is the Mavic clearly MORE stable in termos of GPS stability, RC connection, etc, when compared with the Spark?

2) Are there currently any serious issues with the Mavic Pro that might make me think twice about buying it? I've read some horror stories about excessive flare/glare, for example. What do you think? Has it been long enough in the market so that we can now consider it to be quite a stable drone?

3) I've flown the Spark in quite strong winds, and it handled fantastically. Unfortunately, since the gimbal only has two axis, there are some times when I get a small horizontal jitter, which only affects certain parts of the video, which is probably caused by electronic stabilization of the third axis. In strong winds is the Mavic three axis gimbal clearly superior, and footage is always stable?

4) The Spark looks like a toy, that catches people's attention, and they don't seem to feel threatened by it. Do you really think the Mavic might have a more negative reaction in people?

5) I've read the noise of the Spark is higher pitched when compared to the Mavic? Do you think one is clearly louder than the other?

6) Is the RAW file of a Mavic clearly more detailed than a Spark jpeg?

7) Is it true that editing 4K video on an average computer which can easily handle 1080p will be a nightmare?

8) Apart from flying indoors, when do you think the Spark would be clearly more superior?

Thanks a lot for your time! Your help is much appreciated!

My Mavic is a year old in a months time (fly more pack. 0.400 firmware) - has supersports mode.
My Spark is going to be 3 months old (povo pack. 0.600 firmware) - has unlimited wifi flight range.

1) Is the Mavic clearly MORE stable in termos of GPS stability, RC connection, etc, when compared with the Spark?
Wifi sucks balls. Occusync just owns.

2) Are there currently any serious issues with the Mavic Pro that might make me think twice about buying it? I've read some horror stories about excessive flare/glare, for example. What do you think? Has it been long enough in the market so that we can now consider it to be quite a stable drone?
Don't crash it and you will be fine. Use $3 sun visor. Almost a year and no issues. Just be aware of tap to focus and +1 sharpness setting.

3) I've flown the Spark in quite strong winds, and it handled fantastically. Unfortunately, since the gimbal only has two axis, there are some times when I get a small horizontal jitter, which only affects certain parts of the video, which is probably caused by electronic stabilization of the third axis. In strong winds is the Mavic three axis gimbal clearly superior, and footage is always stable?
Not always. On fast yaws, the third axis on the Mavic can lag and cause a slight tilted horizon. the fix is to never pan fast.

4) The Spark looks like a toy, that catches people's attention, and they don't seem to feel threatened by it. Do you really think the Mavic might have a more negative reaction in people? Spark is noisy but hard to spot. Mavic with low noise props sounds sweeter but looks aggressive. Assess the scenario and choose your battles wisely i guess.

5) I've read the noise of the Spark is higher pitched when compared to the Mavic? Do you think one is clearly louder than the other?
Yup. Spark is now more noisier and sounds more annoying. Mavics new props makes it sound elegant.

6) Is the RAW file of a Mavic clearly more detailed than a Spark jpeg?
30mb DNG/RAW vs 5mb Jpeg. Clear winner would be the RAW. Detail wouldn't be the right word. RAW is uncompressed and contains more workable "data".

7) Is it true that editing 4K video on an average computer which can easily handle 1080p will be a nightmare?
Correct. Use handbrake and downscale to 1080p. Keep the 4K when you get a better PC.
I struggle with an i7 with 16 gigs memory and solid state drive.

8) Apart from flying indoors, when do you think the Spark would be clearly more superior?
For quick launches, quick gesture selfies. It takes half the time to setup my spark. Turn on spark, turn on wifi, start app and fly.
Great if you wish to break the law and fly near crowds.
Its also hard to detect the pilot when using phone only controls.

Thanks a lot for your time! Your help is much appreciated!

#1Jose Ramos, 2 minutes ago

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FollyRJ