DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cambridge University at sunrise - something a little different from usual.

Beautiful vid! I was just there this past summer. Drove right through.
First thought was it would be awesome to fly the drone through this area. But I thought I checked my apps and it was within an airport zone or something. Could be wrong, but let me know (as I will be back there again next year).
Also, it was about 2:00 in the afternoon and people everywhere! So didn't want to upset the natives!

Reactions: Ping^Spike
Beautiful vid! I was just there this past summer. Drove right through.
First thought was it would be awesome to fly the drone through this area. But I thought I checked my apps and it was within an airport zone or something. Could be wrong, but let me know (as I will be back there again next year).
Also, it was about 2:00 in the afternoon and people everywhere! So didn't want to upset the natives!

Thanks! I didn't come across any restricted zones of any type whilst I was flying - but there is an airport in the East of Cambridge, so potentially you were to close to that. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any other no-fly-zones (or anything else restricted) so give it a go!

I flew at 4:45am on a Monday morning, so not many people around...

Reactions: Skippy905
Great video. IMHO the light at sunrise is better than at sunset. I worked in a job that involved 3am starts, captured quite a few sunrises but that was with a DSLR, no such thing as drones then.

Very nice indeed, I was hoping to do something similar with some nice footage of the University I went to, only Coventry could barely give you a few seconds haha.... not worth the Youtube upload! :)

But in all seriousness very nice video, well shot and thanks for posting.
Cheers,

Reactions: Niiik
Great video. IMHO the light at sunrise is better than at sunset. I worked in a job that involved 3am starts, captured quite a few sunrises but that was with a DSLR, no such thing as drones then.

I definitely agree with you, especially when you compare deserted sunrises to crowded sunsets. 3am is unpleasantly early though...!

I definitely agree with you, especially when you compare deserted sunrises to crowded sunsets. 3am is unpleasantly early though...!
Fortunately, or unfortunately, depending on your point of view, I worked for many years at a job with a 3am start time so I've seen more than my fair share of sunrises. Early morning around autumn is a great time to get those lovely misty shots. I agree 100% with your crowded sunsets comment. People don't mind hanging around to get a sunset but most would rather stay in bed than get up at silly-o'clock to take photos.

Very nice indeed, I was hoping to do something similar with some nice footage of the University I went to, only Coventry could barely give you a few seconds haha.... not worth the Youtube upload! :)

But in all seriousness very nice video, well shot and thanks for posting.
Cheers,

Thanks!

Just saw this - very nice. I particularly liked the views of King's. I assume that you launched from the Backs - did you cover John's to King's from one location or work your way along?

Exactly - launched from somewhere close to the Garret Hostel Lane footbridge, and flew from there. All the flying was from the same location, but took me a three batteries worth of flying!

Also, the old stone building cut out the signal very aggressively! I wanted to fly lower, and behind, the Mathematical Bridge and the Bridge of Sighs, but couldn't do that from my location.

Exactly - launched from somewhere close to the Garret Hostel Lane footbridge, and flew from there. All the flying was from the same location, but took me a three batteries worth of flying!

Also, the old stone building cut out the signal very aggressively! I wanted to fly lower, and behind, the Mathematical Bridge and the Bridge of Sighs, but couldn't do that from my location.

Right. I'd launch from opposite the Grad Pad to get the Newton's bridge. Tougher to get LOS to the Bridge of Sighs.

Right. I'd launch from opposite the Grad Pad to get the Newton's bridge. Tougher to get LOS to the Bridge of Sighs.

Good shout, I'll do that next time! Although it's getting harder to fly without disturbing people now, with the sun rising so late. Might have to wait until summer!

I think you must have made this for me. My dad went to Cambridge, when my parents saw the video they loved it, were naming all the buildings, etc and the best part is, my mom didn't "get" drones, now she does at least a bit. I owe you one!

Really glad you liked it! :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peehead