DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Changeout Mavic 2 Pro

I have a Zoom setup coming Friday. The Question is, should I wait until the warranty is over on my Pro to swap out, or it doesn’t matter?

If you are going to do it yourself, and you skilled enough to not be concerned about breaking anything, you can try it now. Just be VERY careful with the ribbon connector coming off the gimbal. Dont snag it, and be gentle with the connector going to the core board.

Not a bad idea. Instead of swapping an M2P gimbal to an M2Z, you can buy an Air for the same price. But the question is, after flying an M2, who wants to fly an Air? lol

At less than half the size/weight (much smaller/lighter accessories too) with the same image quality as a M2Z I find it a much more attractive option for me personally, especially since I also own a M2P. I never fly either drone out beyond 4KM so range is a non-issue for me, and the battery life is a reasonable compromise with such a significant size reduction - pretty rare that I can't get my shot in ~15 mins. I travel and hike a lot, so the size/weight is a bigger consideration for me than it might be for someone else. Some countries also have very strict rules on drones over 500g, and the Air is conveniently under 500g. I also think the Air is a much better overall design, I was hoping the M2 series would look more like a bigger Air than almost identical to the original Mavic, but that will have to wait for the 3rd generation :)

At less than half the size/weight (much smaller/lighter accessories too) with the same image quality as a M2Z I find it a much more attractive option for me personally, especially since I also own a M2P. I never fly either drone out beyond 4KM so range is a non-issue for me, and the battery life is a reasonable compromise with such a significant size reduction - pretty rare that I can't get my shot in ~15 mins. I travel and hike a lot, so the size/weight is a bigger consideration for me than it might be for someone else. Some countries also have very strict rules on drones over 500g, and the Air is conveniently under 500g. I also think the Air is a much better overall design, I was hoping the M2 series would look more like a bigger Air than almost identical to the original Mavic, but that will have to wait for the 3rd generation :)

Who knows what the 3rd generation might look like. Maybe in 2020 or 2021.

I just never got used to the Wifi on the Air. Even my Phantom 3 Standard got further than any of my Airs.

Who knows what the 3rd generation might look like. Maybe in 2020 or 2021.

I just never got used to the Wifi on the Air. Even my Phantom 3 Standard got further than any of my Airs.

Obviously depends on the environments, but at 1-2KM I always still have a great signal on my Air, even in urban areas locally or while traveling. Range was never an issue for me, and therefore was not a consideration when I bought a M2P either. There is no scenario for me personally where I would ever fly out 4+ KM as it's rare I am able to get a dedicated spotter to accompany me to stay legal, but I understand that some people like to. For other applications like Search & Rescue it might be critical. I might have a different opinion if I flew in high interference areas but I haven't come across one yet in all my travels, and the M2 series isn't immune to interference either, it just tolerates it better. No doubt the M2 chassis is a step up, but you pay for it in size/weight and it's really nice to have the options we do. For me, the two compliment each other much better than if I owned both M2 products.

Reactions: Former Member
Obviously depends on the environments, but at 1-2KM I always still have a great signal on my Air, even in urban areas locally or while traveling. Range was never an issue for me, and therefore was not a consideration when I bought a M2P either. There is no scenario for me personally where I would ever fly out 4+ KM as it's rare I am able to get a dedicated spotter to accompany me to stay legal, but I understand that some people like to. For other applications like Search & Rescue it might be critical. I might have a different opinion if I flew in high interference areas but I haven't come across one yet in all my travels, and the M2 series isn't immune to interference either, it just tolerates it better. No doubt the M2 chassis is a step up, but you pay for it in size/weight and it's really nice to have the options we do. For me, the two compliment each other much better than if I owned both M2 products.

We're getting a little bit off topic, but hopefully in the future, before I turn 90, DJI will come out with a Mavic with truly swappable gimbals. Every photographer carries multiple lenses, especially if they own a $1450 camera body. In fact, many photographers carry multiple bodies as well as lenses depending upon what their mission is.

Several times a week I get asked what would be a good second drone. No matter what your first or second drone is, if youre doing it for money, anything is good as a backup.

We're getting a little bit off topic, but hopefully in the future, before I turn 90, DJI will come out with a Mavic with truly swappable gimbals. Every photographer carries multiple lenses, especially if they own a $1450 camera body. In fact, many photographers carry multiple bodies as well as lenses depending upon what their mission is.

Several times a week I get asked what would be a good second drone. No matter what your first or second drone is, if youre doing it for money, anything is good as a backup.

I guess they sort of have that already with the X5/X7 gimbals for the Inspire series. Changing lenses is usually what people are trying to accomplish with swapping gimbals anyway. In the 'consumer' realm though there isn't really anything. I wouldn't be surprised if that's where they take the Phantom 5.

To your last point, the amount of people doing paid work without a backup has always astonished me, especially in the professional photography realm where I also work. There are people out there shooting weddings with a single body (no backup) and it blows my mind. They are too cheap to rent/buy something else even though the proceeds from a single job are more than enough to cover it. They are willing to risk ruining the wedding and getting sued for the cost of a re-do which can be enormous (obviously not ideal for the couple/guests) for a couple hundred dollars. Lots of people think they are a professional just because they can afford professional equipment.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
magic31