DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera issue or ND Filters needed?

xagoras

Reactions
I did some flying today in a nice little forest close to my city. The weather was almost perfect. Nearly no wind. I took several pictures from different altitudes and directions in comparison to the sun.

When I transfered the photos to my PC, I noticed that some of them had a strange redish colored ''curtain'' on the top left corner. That was the direction the sun was located. Is this something that should worry me (camera defect) or is it simply something that was created by sunlight hitting the lence from that corner? Will ND Filters eliminate that?

1.jpg2.jpg

What ISO and aperture? were you using? The MP2 will do this for sure if you shoot into the sun as you did in the 2nd shot and have the sun effecting the left side of the 1st shot. Don't think it's a camera issue.

You really can't shoot into the sun in midday like you have done with a MP2 with a ND filter IMO, as if stop down to F 8 to F11, you will lose too much detail to diffraction.

Also, you can try an AEB series, 5 shot, which will give an exposure spread of -1.34 to +1.34, still not really enough to shoot into the sun, without the lowest ISO and mid range aperture.

Paul C

I think ISO was 100. Can't remember the Aperture. The sun should have been somewhere between 90-60 degrees on the left of the camera.

I had the kids around me at the time, trying to get a pick at the screen, so didn't pay attention to the camera settings too much.

Just overexposure, use histogram to see blown areas and exposure compensation to avoid them.

And shoot RAW to fix it if you get some anyway (if it's not too bad)

ND filter is totally irrelevant for this situation.

Reactions: dtp
On the 2nd shot, the sun is for sure effecting the exposure and has totally blown your highlights. Best way to check, is get back in the air, similar scene, and make sure you are at ISO 100, then go to camera settings, and start at F 2.8 and roll the apeture through the various settings and shutter speed. I forgot to mention that also. For such a shot, I would be at F 5.6 and ISO 100 and shutter speed in 1/2000 or higher.

Paul C

Thank you guys. Will need to play around with the settings next time I'm in the area. I'll try it again in a couple of days, if we don't get any rain.

I did some flying today in a nice little forest close to my city. The weather was almost perfect. Nearly no wind. I took several pictures from different altitudes and directions in comparison to the sun.
Will ND Filters eliminate that?
The sun is very bright. The rest of your pictures is much less bright.
The camera can't properly expose for darker areas and the bright sun.
Changing settings won't help in that situation.
ND filters won't help at all.
ND filters aren't any use for shooting stills with a drone.
Use more care when composing your images to avoid having the sun in the frame if the subject is much darker.
Try shooting with the sun behind the drone so it lights the subject.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stormy2024