DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera lens detection

Marcus_54

Reactions
Hello

Some time ago, I crash my mini 3 pro. In the crash I lost the lens on the camera.

I bought a set of lens : polarizing UV DN16 32 64

By putting the UV filter for example, from time to time after takeoff, the radio control tells me that I have a wide-angle lens that is installed! (I don't have a wide-angle lens!)

How is the positioning of this lens detected?

What could I check to correct my problem?

Thank you

@Marcus_54 if by lens you mean the removable cover that fits to the front of the camera body ,then its not actually a lens just a decorative cover over the actual camera lens to fit a filter, this is removed and replaced with the chosen filter
because of the way that light is hitting the actual camera lens through the filter, if the filter is not optically perfect, then the camera detects this and thinks that you have a wide angled lens fitted

Reactions: michaeldallen1
This seems quite random and unreliable as a detection.

Wouldn't there be a small magnet or a small contact that would be in the gimbal of the camera and that would activate with the wide-angle cover?

Filtre-de-Drone-pour-DJI-Mini-3-Pro-acceoires-de-camera-polaire-de-densite-neutre-filtre-UV-CP...jpg

@Marcus_54 so where would that contact be ,can you see one on the front of the camera housing ,from my limited understanding of what a wide angle lens does ,the CMOS sensor and associated camera control components ,can tell that the image coming through the lens is different from what it sees without a wide angle lens fitted ,and it compensates for this
but of course i could be completely on the wrong track ,and i apologise in advance if i am
i am sure that there will be other members with much more Knowledge of how digital cameras work who will chip in at some point

Admittedly, there is nothing visible on the front of the camera, nevertheless it is not impossible that there is a sensor under the plastic cover that detects the presence or absence of a wide-angle lens coded with a magnet or something else. This is only a guess, of course.

Detection simply by the vision you describe could only work with a reference image. I did a test again last night while taking off in the middle of the night (there was a black image on the camera and the drone went into wide-angle mode.

The unstoppable solution is to fly the drone without its cover, nevertheless it is to take the risk of damaging the optics of the camera.

I had same message on my M3P when using these particular filters but when using Freewell filters no message,
I think it has to do with the weight of them

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JReynolds078