DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Pixel distortion

TFO

Reactions
I've had my Mavic Pro for a tad over 2 months now and everything has been working just fine until just recently.

Problem? Video Pixel lag and distortion.

Was unit in a crash? No

What have you tried so far?
Calibrating everything more than 3 times. I've been finding all the tutorials on-line and have talked with more experienced drone pilots. I've studied extensively all the possibilities IE: power settings, gimbal settings, ISO settings etc, etc,

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? Android phone

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? DJI latest firmware updated

What Go app version are you using? DJI Mavic Pro

Any modification?
(if so what) no

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) At the suggestion of re-installing the app to maybe see if that worked....No, it didn't change anything.

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link)
I could but I need to create the problem again. I think the explanation speaks for itself....

What I've found:
When I download the sim card video onto my home computer I notice that the Drone video has "NO" distortion, so I assumed that it was a transmission problem. I flew and researched further and found that when I fly with the sim card (that came with the unit) with just over 6 minutes of previous video data, when I go to fly with or without camera on, the phone screen is smearing or having pixel lag for lack of a better term.
When I clear the Sim card data onto my computer and then go fly gain, all the pixel lag goes away until I fly and put about 6 minutes of video recording back onto the sim card.
I found one pilot who touched on video speed feed to the phone and he suggested going with a larger 64 GB sim card. He didn't however specifically talk about pixel distortion so I'm not sure if I'm on the right track but so far....it seems to be the answer.
I've heard other rumors to it being the Android but the phone works just fine until the current factory given sim card has less than 10 minutes on it. I want to ask if this has been an issue before with anyone or if I'm just imagining things.
Or....whats the fix? Thanks

The micro SD card in that ships with the Mavic should only be 16 GB, which will be OK unless you are shooting in 4K or 2.7K as then it will fill top pretty quick (also for raw files with photos). I would format the SD card in your drone before your flight also.

64GB is the largest card DJI supports but there are a lot of cards and you need to pick a fast one. Lots of info on this site about the correct cards/for best speed. Here is a link to the cards I use. Note I only use 32GB and usually swap out a card after each flight just in case something happens on my next flight. Cards are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYHN68L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also you should have a cache being stored on your iPhone/android phone. You need to check to make sure you are refreshing the cache, there is a setting in the djigo4 app to clear it after it reaches 2GB. Having the cache full will also tend to case some problems with transmission of video.

Video lags, , at least for me, are mainly with pans. Where you will see the video jump back into position as you move or pixelate. I use the iPad pro 10.5 or Crystalsky monitors and both of these appear to have enough horse power to run the djigo4 app and keep the video transmission moving smoothly most of the time.

Paul Caldwell

I suspect it's the phone cache more likely to be causing a problem than the card, but unexpected effects have been noted before if a card is not fast enough or not been formatted in the camera.
Try testing with the phone cache off altogether it might be that extra task causing the problems.
Clearing the cache will likely help.

Sounds good. I'll give that a bash!!! Thanks so much for your help.

Last time I checked only the Mavic air supported 128GB.

However with later firmware MPP might have added supported.

128 is overkill anyway. I tend to swap cards after each flight thus 32GB is plenty. Cards are cheap.

Paul C

https://www.dji.com/mobile/mavic/info
It shows the regular mavic having 128GB support as well. I'm on the other end of the spectrum. I only pull the videos off every once in a while unless I capture something amazing and want to get it off immediately. 128GB is perfect for me. It was annoying having the video stop recording in the middle of a flight because the sd card was full. The likelihood of that happening is much smaller with a 128GB card unless you never empty your card lol.
Cards are cheap
Yep, only $50 for a 128, not bad at all considering the prices a few years ago.

Reactions: Paul2660
Yes you are right. 128 is supported I just had not checked in a while. Good to know.

Paul C

Wow, I was just looking and you can get 128s for around $35 on amazon now. Prices have gone down so much compared to what they used to be. If only I could say that about video cards, then I would be able to upgrade my 980Ti that I have had for 3 years. Not at those prices though!

Wow, I was just looking and you can get 128s for around $35 on amazon now. Prices have gone down so much compared to what they used to be...
Make sure you buy from a reputable seller. There have been reports of counterfeit SD cards on the market.

The micro SD card in that ships with the Mavic should only be 16 GB, which will be OK unless you are shooting in 4K or 2.7K as then it will fill top pretty quick (also for raw files with photos). I would format the SD card in your drone before your flight also.

64GB is the largest card DJI supports but there are a lot of cards and you need to pick a fast one. Lots of info on this site about the correct cards/for best speed. Here is a link to the cards I use. Note I only use 32GB and usually swap out a card after each flight just in case something happens on my next flight. Cards are cheap.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XYHN68L/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also you should have a cache being stored on your iPhone/android phone. You need to check to make sure you are refreshing the cache, there is a setting in the djigo4 app to clear it after it reaches 2GB. Having the cache full will also tend to case some problems with transmission of video.

Video lags, , at least for me, are mainly with pans. Where you will see the video jump back into position as you move or pixelate. I use the iPad pro 10.5 or Crystalsky monitors and both of these appear to have enough horse power to run the djigo4 app and keep the video transmission moving smoothly most of the time.

Paul Caldwell
Hi Again:
Well...I did everything suggested and I'm still getting video feed distortion on the phone after about 10 minutes of flying time. It doesn't seem to matter whether or not I'm recording or just flying.
I now noticed while down loading and viewing the playback that the video results is getting a tad "Jerky" from moment to moment. Almost like a split millisecond of camera viewing getting disrupted???
It's the pixel smear that's got me stuffed. The rest I can live with but maybe I should just return the package and see what happens on the next one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
petravka