DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera settings

I noticed this as well.
I was comparing cam setting with a Mavic Pro flyer. There are several differences.

Why don’t I have 4:3 as an aspect ratio option in my camera settings? I have the Mavic Pro2.
To achieve a 4:3 aspect ratio, the camera would have to trim the image from its native 3:2 aspect ratio (5472×3648 ).
If you want a 4:3 aspect ratio (or any other), it's simply a matter of cutting your image as you choose in Photoshop or similar.
It makes more sense to capture as much as possible and crop later, rather than giving up your options before even taking a still.

Remember when you’re composing to leave some extraneous space on the edges of the frame because you’re going to have to crop one side or the other, or both, to achieve the more square-like shape of 4:3.

Because the sensor isn't 4:3 shaped.
Im glad they got rid of this relic.

The shape of the sensor does not determine what aspect ratios may be available on a camera - in fact there are cameras that don't even use the native sensor area in any capture mode. You can crop a modern sensor however you want at the time of photo capture, DJI just does not implement that feature on the M2P.

The shape of the sensor does not determine what aspect ratios may be available on a camera - in fact there are cameras that don't even use the native sensor area in any capture mode. You can crop a modern sensor however you want at the time of photo capture, DJI just does not implement that feature on the M2P.
Can you give an example of a camera that might not apply the native sensor aspect in any available shooting mode? That sounds like really bad engineering. I think you may really struggle to find one.

Last edited:
Can you give an example of a camera that might not apply the native sensor aspect in any available shooting mode? That sounds like really bad engineering. I think you may really struggle to find one.

Sure - I would not have said that if I wasn't already thinking of numerous cameras that operate that way. Also keep in mind I said area not aspect. You an crop the aspect to whatever you want if you don't care about FOV, which by itself is an extremely common feature and unimpressive (though some major brands like Canon can't seem to figure out a good way to implement it). It gets trickier through when FOV is involved.

There are quite a few cameras that do this, for example the Panasonic LX 100. It uses a 17MP M43 sensor and the maximum available area in any shooting mode is 12.7MP, as low as ~9.5MP depending on the aspect ratio chosen (including it's native 4:3 ratio). There are no modes that use all 17MP, or the entire native sensor area. It's not bad engineering either, It's really quite an ingenious design because what it does is allow you to change the aspect ratio without changing FOV. Panasonic does the exact same things on their professional GH line cameras as well because the same benefits apply for video aspect ratios.

Last edited:
Sure - I would not have said that if I wasn't already thinking of numerous cameras that operate that way. Also keep in mind I said area not aspect. You an crop the aspect to whatever you want if you don't care about FOV, which by itself is an extremely common feature and unimpressive (though some major brands like Canon can't seem to figure out a good way to implement it). It gets trickier through when FOV is involved.

There are quite a few cameras that do this, for example the Panasonic LX 100. It uses a 17MP M43 sensor and the maximum available area in any shooting mode is 12.7MP, as low as ~9.5MP depending on the aspect ratio chosen (including it's native 4:3 ratio). There are no modes that use all 17MP, or the entire native sensor area. It's not bad engineering either, It's really quite an ingenious design because what it does is allow you to change the aspect ratio without changing FOV. Panasonic does the exact same things on their professional GH line cameras as well because the same benefits apply for video aspect ratios.
Yes- many digital cameras don't use the full sensor area. It seems they all offer a shooting mode at the native sensor aspect ratio, the LX100 is no exception here (It does do M43 Native). There aren't any 1" or 35mm full frame sensor equipped cameras that don't do 3:2 either.

Im not sure how important/useful maintaining FOV (for the LX100) might be? What is the real benefit of massaging the frames for all available formats into the same image circle so that you might claim FOV is maintained from corner to corner aside from marketing games? The simple fact must be that the angle of coverage across the frame (left to right) can't be maintained. I would think for most this would prove to be the most important consideration.

I appreciate your taking the time here. I know several people who current use an LX100 and while I was aware it shoots 4:3 I wouldn't have guessed it might not be using the full sensor.

Yes- many digital cameras don't use the full sensor area. It seems they all offer a shooting mode at the native sensor aspect ratio, the LX100 is no exception here (It does do M43 Native). There aren't any 1" or 35mm full frame sensor equipped cameras that don't do 3:2 either.

Im not sure how important/useful maintaining FOV (for the LX100) might be? What is the real benefit of massaging the frames for all available formats into the same image circle so that you might claim FOV is maintained from corner to corner aside from marketing games? The simple fact must be that the angle of coverage across the frame (left to right) can't be maintained. I would think for most this would prove to be the most important consideration.

I appreciate your taking the time here. I know several people who current use an LX100 and while I was aware it shoots 4:3 I wouldn't have guessed it might not be using the full sensor.

You're welcome.

Cameras like the LX100 do not really have a native aspect ratio because it is a multi-aspect camera (every aspect is native) and none of the modes use the entire sensor - so theoretically the sensor could be any shape, provided it was large enough to contain all of the desired aspect ratios at the desired resolutions. It does happen to use a M43 sensor, but that is not necessarily why it has a 4:3 mode.

Maintaining the FOV can be quite useful depending on your personal usage. For example you buy something like the LX100 which has a 24-75mm equivalent lens - being able to change the aspect ratio and not give up any of that range is an advantage. On most other cameras, when you change the aspect ratio you are also changing the FOV. Another example would be on the more expensive GH cameras. If you wanted to change the aspect ratio but the FOV also changed, you might have to go spend thousands of dollars on a new lens to correct the FOV change for video work. But if the FOV stayed the same regardless of the selected aspect ratio, all your lenses will always provide the FOV they are supposed to. Certainly this is not an issue for everyone, but there are advantages to it.

The LX100 II does the exact same thing, but it raises the resolution to 20 MP (maximum 17 MP usable, so it never uses the full sensor either). Another consideration with the compact cameras is that if they did use the entire sensor, the camera, and especially the lens, would be much larger and heavier if they kept the same focal length and aperture. It's still about 1.5X the size of a 1" sensor though, even with it's crops. I actually would have bought one over my Sony RX100 VA if the LX100 II had a fully retracting lens and phase-detect autofocus, but it has neither despite being an outstanding camera in every other way.

As for smaller sensor cameras doing the same thing, the Panasonic LX5 and LX7 both use a 1/1.7" sensor (much smaller yet than either 1" or M43) and also offer the multi-aspect ratio using the same strategy as above.

If you don't care about FOV or resolution, then you can obviously just crop whatever aspect ratio your heart desires into any image. The way Panasonic does it though will always maintain the FOV, but it does bother some people knowing there is a 20MP sensor in their camera and they can only use 17MP :)

****. You are one smart photography cookie. Lol

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone