DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera system resets mid-flight...?

Last edited:
Try the new firmware v01.03.1000. It purports to fix this camera resets issue.

Update Log...
Fixes and occasional issue here the camera would restart automatically when recording.
That was my old mavic, that went back to the retailer for an exchange. My current mavic will stay on any firmwares .700 and below :) and it doesn't suffer with this issue...yet.

This is the first time they have specifically mentioned a fix. So chances are this has fixed it and solved the great mystery of which you speak.

Just updated now so all good to go. If I recall correctly the issue arrived with firmware .600, so you may eventually be effected and have to bite the bullet if it bugs you. It was a manageable bug though. .

Reactions: EsiMavic and HSK
I've had this random camera reset issue since day one. Im going to RMA it, hopefully they can fix it

Recording did not resume automatically and the home point also changed to where the bird was at the time of the reset (signs of momentary power loss??).

Why would the home point suddenly change to the birds location if it's just an issue with the gimbal/camera subsystem? Has anyone checked the battery stats at the time of reset? Perhaps it's such a quick drop in power that the flight recorder doesn't pick it up.

I found it funny that shortly after I mentioned the battery as the possible cause of the camera reset issue, a new firmware was released with a fix for it and an update for DJI Go was released.

What I find interesting is that right when I was about to update to v1.03.1000 to test it out I was prompted for a DJI Go update and when I started the app after updating a prompt came up saying that inconsistent firmware was found with the slider to update. I did the update, powered down and swapped to another battery and DJI Go again gave me the message about inconsistent firmware.

So it looks like it was the batteries that had the inconsistent firmware and after updating all 3 batteries and before installing the .1000 fw update I ran through those 3 batteries and never experienced the reset issue. The batteries not updating properly during previous firmware updates could cause a power sync issue with any of the ACs subsystems and perhaps the gimbal/camera assembly is most susceptible to shifts in voltage or current.

I'm gonna do a few more flights before I update to the latest fw just to see if my theory holds any ground. And yes it's just a theory, but it makes more sense than others I've read based on my experience.

Last edited:
I've had this random camera reset issue since day one. Im going to RMA it, hopefully they can fix it

Make sure you're connected to WiFi and update DJI Go on your phone or tablet. Let me know if you get a message about inconsistent firmware when you boot up the Mavic and load the app while still connected to WiFi/internet.

Last edited:
....I've said it before and I'll say it again the firmware cannot be the cause...
&
...The core of the issue is a faulty ribbon cable, which sometimes loses contact and causes the reset.
Hey @alexcannas are you inclined to change your position on this yet?

Seemingly the .1000 firmware update has fixed the gimbal reset issue.
I see no reason to doubt DJI when they say the frimware update, "Fixes an occasional issue where the camera would restart automatically when recording". Since updating I have flown numerous flights and nothing untoward had happened at the 4GB trigger, which was invariably when my camera/gimbal would reset.

Has anyone experience an un-commanded camera reset since the firmware fix?

Hey @alexcannas are you inclined to change your position on this yet?

Seemingly the .1000 firmware update has fixed the gimbal reset issue.
I see no reason to doubt DJI when they say the frimware update, "Fixes an occasional issue where the camera would restart automatically when recording". Since updating I have flown numerous flights and nothing untoward had happened at the 4GB trigger, which was invariably when my camera/gimbal would reset.

Has anyone experience an un-commanded camera reset since the firmware fix?

Hi Logger, unfortunately, someone from Singapore (or rather, someone posted in one of the DJI Mavic (& Spark) Singapore facebook group; experienced this after the .1000 firmware upgrade. & yup, I saw that chap's video, it's that "typical" gimbal-suddenly-gone-crazy-in-slow-mo footage. Trust me, I wish it wasn't so.

Last edited:
Well that is disappointing. Looks like he was using active track when it triggered (if that's the one you mean) which is atypical. I guess we will soon know if it is still a widespread issue.

Sadly, I experienced my first today as well... :( ...and I was on .1000. Strangely enough, although it wasn't in active track when it happened, I had been playing with it extensively for the first time during today's flights. I wonder if it's related....memory leaks or other code bugs not cleaning up properly after exiting active track. Same thing as others though - gimbal does some random movements and recording stops. Oh - and it was very windy. The MP was getting buffeted all over the place and keeping it stable was tough.

I just tried a recording on the ground and let it go for 20 min with no issues. I'm using a Sandisk Extreme 64G, U3 V30, and I always reformat in the bird. I did NOT recal my gimbal after the firmware update, although I did recal the IMUs. Compasses were fine.

LP

Last edited:
Sadly, I experienced my first today as well... :( ...and I was on .1000. Strangely enough, although it wasn't in active track when it happened, I had been playing with it extensively for the first time during today's flights. I wonder if it's related....memory leaks or other code bugs not cleaning up properly after exiting active track. Same thing as others though - gimbal does some random movements and recording stops. Oh - and it was very windy. The MP was getting buffeted all over the place and keeping it stable was tough.

I just tried a recording on the ground and let it go for 20 min with no issues. I'm using a Sandisk Extreme 64G, U3 V30, and I always reformat in the bird. I did NOT recal my gimbal after the firmware update, although I did recal the IMUs. Compasses were fine.

LP
Its a hardware issue i guess the ribbon cable of the gimbal. :(

Sadly, I experienced my first today as well......

How many minutes into the video recording was it, when it occurred? Just want to see if your was a file switch issue at the 4gb limit. I like your idea of it being a memory related issue.

I don't believe that yet. I know Alex is 100% convinced, but I'm not there. I still think it could very well be a firmware issue - especially given that it seems to usually be paired with recording stops. Assuming the gimbal controller and video cables are separate like has been said here, then I see no reason why a failing controller cable would kill the recording. In addition, I did a test tonight where I just sat it on the floor and it stopped recording on it's own - with no gimbal freakout. I also did a test where I moved the MP around at severe angles, and when I pointed it up higher than the gimbal could compensate for, the gimbal vibrated against the body and didn't return to level when I brought the MP back to level. I had to use the gimbal control to return it to level, and it continued working normally from there. This just feels like a controller code issue.

FWIW, my recording stop this evening had nothing to do with the 4G limit. It happened at 29:24, well into the third 4G block. The one this afternoon appeared closer, at 9:16...

LP

Reactions: Logger
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NotSure