DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera won't correctly auto focus when using an ND64PL

Ripper7620

Reactions
I've been having issues with auto focus, and it seems to only happen when I use an ND64PL filter, as with anything lower, and I get terrible over exposure in full sunlight. I've tried completely resetting all camera settings, and can get in focus images with an ND32PL, however, as mentioned, it's over exposed. How can I get an ND64PL to focus correctly, do I need to manually focus? Thank you in advance.
Edit: Only video is affected by using the ND64PL, RAW images turn out in focus.

Last edited:
Focus with AF the move to MF. Stay in MF for rest of video.

The Mavic tends to attempt to refocus when you hover if you are AF. With a ND 64 you don’t have enough flight for the AF to get a good lock.

Max I use is PL/ND 32 and most times 16. I will push up shutter speed a bit even though it might not be the optimum setting for video FPS.

Remember also that the PL is bringing you down a full stop besides the ND. It’s very hard for a AF system to get a good AF lock with a ND 64.

Paul C

Focus with AF the move to MF. Stay in MF for rest of video.

The Mavic tends to attempt to refocus when you hover if you are AF. With a ND 64 you don’t have enough flight for the AF to get a good lock.

Max I use is PL/ND 32 and most times 16. I will push up shutter speed a bit even though it might not be the optimum setting for video FPS.

Remember also that the PL is bringing you down a full stop besides the ND. It’s very hard for a AF system to get a good AF lock with a ND 64.

Paul C

Thank you very much I appreciate it. If I use anything lower than an ND64PL, I have over exposure.

There may not be enough light for auto-focus to work with a ND64 filter; use manual focus. The dynamic range of the Mavic camera is not great so it is easy for whites to be blown out. What happens when you change the EV with the right adjustment wheel?

Reactions: Ripper7620
There may not be enough light for auto-focus to work with a ND64 filter; use manual focus. The dynamic range of the Mavic camera is not great so it is easy for whites to be blown out. What happens when you change the EV with the right adjustment wheel?

True, and also keep an eye on the histogram to help with correct exposure. If you are just looking at the screen and not using the histogram there is a tendency to over expose because people tend to need a bright screen to be able to see it in sunlight so increase exposure.

Reactions: Mossiback
True, and also keep an eye on the histogram to help with correct exposure..
Exactly right, I forgot about the histogram even though I always have it displayed. It is the best tool to judge exposure since what you are seeing can vary widely from one device to the next.

I’ve never been able to get the wheel to move whenever I touch and try to adjust it.

True, and also keep an eye on the histogram to help with correct exposure. If you are just looking at the screen and not using the histogram there is a tendency to over expose because people tend to need a bright screen to be able to see it in sunlight so increase exposure.

Yes, thank you, I always watch the histogram.

I’ve never been able to get the wheel to move whenever I touch and try to adjust it.
There is your problem. The right wheel should easily move in either direction to adjust the EV setting. The left wheel controls the gimbal up/down motion and has a stop in both directions.

There is your problem. The right wheel should easily move in either direction to adjust the EV setting. The left wheel controls the gimbal up/down motion and has a stop in both directions.

Thank you, I think I misunderstood.

Then either your settings are wrong or your camera is knackered. ND filters are only used when you want to keep the frame rate down.

Thank you very much for the reply, I suspect as much.

Part of my problem is attempting to manually focus on a small iPhone screen.

Yes I know, I was referring to the onscreen manual focus wheel.
OK, no problem. So when you adjust the right finger wheel to bring up details in the whites it makes the rest of the picture too dark, it is because of your ND64 filter. A sunny day should only require a ND32 unless there are high reflective surfaces like snow.
I've been having issues with auto focus, and it seems to only happen when I use an ND64PL filter, as with anything lower, and I get terrible over exposure in full sunlight. I've tried completely resetting all camera settings, and can get in focus images with an ND32PL, however, as mentioned, it's over exposed. How can I get an ND64PL to focus correctly, do I need to manually focus? Thank you in advance.
Edit: Only video is affected by using the ND64PL, RAW images turn out in focus.
Upon reviewing your OP, the focus problem is most likely caused by the ND64 filter not allowing enough light through for auto-focus to work. The fix is to use manual focus. To compensate for blown-out whites, use the EV adjustment wheel on the RC with the proper ND filter for the situation. Even then, since the dynamic range of the MPP camera is not great, you might need to shoot in RAW and adjust in post.

OK, no problem. So when you adjust the right finger wheel to bring up details in the whites it makes the rest of the picture too dark, it is because of your ND64 filter. A sunny day should only require a ND32 unless there are high reflective surfaces like snow.

Upon reviewing your OP, the focus problem is most likely caused by the ND64 filter not allowing enough light through for auto-focus to work. The fix is to use manual focus. To compensate for blown-out whites, use the EV adjustment wheel on the RC with the proper ND filter for the situation. Even then, since the dynamic range of the MPP camera is not great, you might need to shoot in RAW and adjust in post.

Thank you very much, I’ll give it a try.
Edit:To clarify, I’m only having issues with video and auto focus with the 64, RAW images are turning out fine.

Last edited:
Then either your settings are wrong or your camera is knackered. ND filters are only used when you want to keep the frame rate down.

I suspect you’re correct and my camera is shot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada