DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camera Zoom Question (Mavic 2 Enterprise)

VonZipper65

Reactions
I recently began working for a company using a M2E for inspection work inside 40-foot tall storage tanks. We are taking video and still photographs of the tank interiors. We illuminate the inside of the tank with light stands as well as using the onboard M2E spotlight. We are able to use the 2x optical and 6X digital zoom with good effect. However, we are only able to use the 2x optical zoom when taking still photos: The digital zoom doesn't seem to be available for still photos. Am I missing some setting or is that how the camera zoom is designed to work for still photos? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

I recently began working for a company using a M2E for inspection work inside 40-foot tall storage tanks. We are taking video and still photographs of the tank interiors. We illuminate the inside of the tank with light stands as well as using the onboard M2E spotlight. We are able to use the 2x optical and 6X digital zoom with good effect. However, we are only able to use the 2x optical zoom when taking still photos: The digital zoom doesn't seem to be available for still photos. Am I missing some setting or is that how the camera zoom is designed to work for still photos? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The digital zoom of a still photo is just a crop of the original image. Just crop your 2x optical zoom still photo as tightly as you please for an identical result. Alternatively, extract a still frame from your 6x digital video. Same result, just slightly lower image quality than a still photo.

Reactions: Johnmcl7
Okay, Thanks GadgetGuy. I will give that a try. Just thought it might me a setting or something I missed. I know with my Parrot Anafi I can use the digital zoom on stills as long as I'm in the right photo format. Thought there might be something similar on the M2E. It's new to me so I wasn't sure. I couldn't find a decent description in the user manual so I thought I'd check with the experts here! Thanks for the quick reply. I'll see what kind of result I can get extracting a frame from the video. Thanks again!

Happy to help. If you shoot in 4K at 2x optical, your extracted still frame will be of higher quality than shooting in 1080p at 6x dynamic zoom and extracting a still frame, but can still be cropped to a 6x image of the same resolution, as the 1080p higher zoom is from a crop of the 4K video, done in camera on the fly. Play around between them, and a 2x still photo. The actual still photo will still be of better quality at 12MP, even when cropped, but the extracted frames from a 6x video may be good enough for documentary purposes, and you have 30 per second to choose from!

Reactions: Johnmcl7
I was wondering this too. My photos are required to have a time/date stamp. If I crop pics, I lose the timestamped info.
Is there a way to take a picture zoomed in? This seems very silly. Why have a camera with zoom as a feature but you can capture a zoomed in image?

Well...I didnt spend seven thousand dollars on a drone to do a bunch of post processing. :( It was supposed to save time. Now i gotta do a bunch of work after my work? This is sad.

I was wondering this too. My photos are required to have a time/date stamp. If I crop pics, I lose the timestamped info.
Is there a way to take a picture zoomed in? This seems very silly. Why have a camera with zoom as a feature but you can capture a zoomed in image?
If you don't need anything other than what you see on your screen, just take a screenshot on your iPad! Done!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rlafica