DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Camping

Jmoore82

Reactions
I’m looking to purchase a Mavic seeing how the air is the newest thing from dji I thought why not go with the air right? My only worry is will it work in the wood I like to go camping and sometimes there’s no service will this affect the Mavic Air or will it still work fine ?

You don't need to worry about "service" if you are referring to cellular service.

What you DO need to be cognizant of is the potential for the both the GPS and radio signals to get blocked if you truly are operating in the "woods".

PRACTICE flying before you head into the woods. Understand how the device works and how it communicates to the controller. Understand how things like Return to Home (RTH) and the Vision Positioning System (VPS) and the Obstacle Avoidance works BEFORE you go into the woods.

So me having no way to give WiFi in the middle of no where no service this will still work? If so I’m buying tonight

So me having no way to give WiFi in the middle of no where no service this will still work? If so I’m buying tonight
Yes, it will work. "Wifi" and the Air simply means that the controller sends it's own generated wifi signal to the Air. No data service, cell service, Internet connect is needed to fly. People go out in the middle of nowhere all of the time and fly. If you plan on camping really close to the north or south pole you might have issues but other then that, no.

Reactions: Jmoore82
The only reason you would need cellular service is to cache the map for that specific area. I use a phone that does not have cell service, but if I want maps, I tether via Bluetooth to my cellphone to cache the map.

The controller and the drone set up their own wifi connection. You don't need any external wifi or cell signal to fly. You will need access to the internet when you first set up the Mavic Air and when you do firmware upgrades, but you can do them at home and then go fly somewhere without that access.

The controller and the drone set up their own wifi connection. You don't need any external wifi or cell signal to fly. You will need access to the internet when you first set up the Mavic Air and when you do firmware upgrades, but you can do them at home and then go fly somewhere without that access.

The Go app should allow the states maps to be downloaded via wifi or cell and stored on the device for use whenever. So you just, at some time, need to be connected to the Internet and download the maps for use anywhere, even without a connection.

next question is this a good drone to take over seas say 3rd world countries like st Thomas ? I’m going on carnival cruise in April and would love to bring this with me

next question is this a good drone to take over seas say 3rd world countries like st Thomas ? I’m going on carnival cruise in April and would love to bring this with me

No different then taking any other drone. The Air (and Pro) are very portable. As I understand it, some cruise lines don't allow drones to be carried onto their ships, period. Might be a situation of don't tell, won't know. Up to you.

So Mavic Pro will be better for over seas cause WiFi basically invest in the pro instead of the air?

The Go app should allow the states maps to be downloaded via wifi or cell and stored on the device for use whenever. So you just, at some time, need to be connected to the Internet and download the maps for use anywhere, even without a connection.

This is just an Android feature isn’t it? I’ve never seen this option on iOS.

So Mavic Pro will be better for over seas cause WiFi basically invest in the pro instead of the air?

This sentence makes no sense. Mavic Air is more portable than Pro. So if you travel, hike, bike, sky, whatever activity that doesnt allow to take a lot of stuff with you, Air is better. Unless you get overseas by swimming. None of the Mavics are waterproof.

When we say Air is WIFI is because that is how the remote controller communicates with the drone. Mavic Pro uses another technology. Do some research if you need details; choosing one over another for this reason depends on other factors, and "travelling overseas" is barely one of them.

You need to plan ahead and have Comcast schedule an install at any locations you plan to camp at...don't worry about the extra cable. Just leave it for the next guy.

I just got back last week from a Carnival cruise and brought my Mavic Pro with no problems. They are fine to bring in your luggage, you just cant bring them out on the ship of course. Of course you will have to observe whatever rules they have in another country.

What you DO need to be cognizant of is the potential for the both the GPS and radio signals to get blocked if you truly are operating in the "woods".

+1. I'm an avid hiker and backpacker and though I rarely lose a phone GPS signal entirely out in the woods, it drops out pretty often. My handheld Garmin 60CSx, on the other hand, never loses a signal no matter where I am. I don't know exactly where the quality of the Air's GPS lies in relation to either of the 2 devices, but I'm betting it's a lot closer to the very mediocre GPS in my phone rather than the one in my dedicated handheld.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MemphisDrone