DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can’t see iPhone screen

Wings22

Reactions
I don’t know why I haven’t seen anyone else with this problem. Even with a sunshade,I have a lot of trouble seeing the screen on my iPhone X. Screen brightness is at maximum with auto brightness turned off. I find that the screen dims down even further during flight, perhaps because phone is heating up (no phone case). Phone has been checked out and has no problems. I am a newbie flyer and have only flown my new MA2 a few times and need some ideas.

Hi Wings.
You're not alone. I have the same problem with my Samsung note9. As soon as the sun comes out I'm hunching over like Quasimodo trying to get some shade.

I've tried a couple of things.
1) I got an adapter to use my iPad instead of my iPhone, the bigger screen really helps.
2) I've had some success taking off, flying and landing (especially the taking off and landing part) with my back to the sun.
But yes, I agree it's a problem.

The Iphone dims because of heat in an attempt to safe battery life is what I have read. I first thought there must be a setting that would overcome that but there isn't. All you can do is head for shade and even then it's very dim. I know a lot of people say they fly from inside their car. I've never noticed how long it takes to recover normal brightness after dis-connection the drone and entering a cooler environment.

The Iphone dims because of heat in an attempt to safe battery life is what I have read. I first thought there must be a setting that would overcome that but there isn't. All you can do is head for shade and even then it's very dim. I know a lot of people say they fly from inside their car. I've never noticed how long it takes to recover normal brightness after dis-connection the drone and entering a cooler environment.
Can't get that 'fly from in the car " thing. I tried many times from the tailgate of my SUV but always got closed down by 'magnetic" interference.

Can't get that 'fly from in the car " thing. I tried many times from the tailgate of my SUV but always got closed down by 'magnetic" interference
know what you mean as far as launching. I've just never tried flying from the car. With my luck the drone police would swoop down on me :confused:

Thanks for your comments. I’m afraid I’m going to have to give up my hopes of drone photography as there is no fun in flying virtually blind. Tried inside the car but no help. Phone brightness seems to recover fast if brought indoors. I’ve ordered a second sunshade which I will try installing upside down to give me 360 degree light protection. What I can’t understand is how the YouTube drone channels providers seem to have no problem at all seeing their screens.

In some conditions you might need something like my "Vindibox". It fits over the screen shade and allows my eyes to adjust so I can see the screen. They make screen commands and settings a little more challenging because you have to come at it at a peculiar angle. Built with a cardboard soda container (box), black gaffers tape, velcro and some old reading glasses for occasional magnification). Not the most elegant accessories, but for pennies it comes in handy. Similar devices are available commercially.

vindibox.jpg

Reactions: bmadccp
Also make sure your iPhone X in settings display and brightness is set to never sleep.

Screen brightness is at max and auto dimming is off. If I was wearing sunglasses all this time and didn’t consider that, my forehead would be red from slapping it! Lol.

I don’t know why I haven’t seen anyone else with this problem. Even with a sunshade,I have a lot of trouble seeing the screen on my iPhone X. Screen brightness is at maximum with auto brightness turned off. I find that the screen dims down even further during flight, perhaps because phone is heating up (no phone case). Phone has been checked out and has no problems. I am a newbie flyer and have only flown my new MA2 a few times and need some ideas.
I use a Samsung Galaxy S10 (bought before I owned a drone), bought the phone BECAUSE it was smaller. I've hated this phone from the jump, especially now. I've tried a few things with varying measures of success.

#1 - I disabled the auto detect brightness feature - I manually crank the brightness all the way before flying.
#2 - I installed "no screen off" app. It keeps the screen from timing out and going black after not touching it for a period. Very simple and free app. Helpful but has nothing to do with brightness.
#3 - I actually salvaged my old Galaxy S7 and even though it's has no sim card, I can still use it as a screen when I fly, it's slightly bigger - helps a bit. *have the same apps/settings on both. I just keep the old S7 in the drone case.

I ordered a screen shade - haven't recieved it yet, and I have read mixed reviews. Seems like the best thing we can do is go bigger on screens (I've even considered trying to score a used (but compatible) iPad mini. And I do a lot of my flying from areas that are as shaded as possible. use a cap or visor, stand in shade if possible (or in the car).

Still - it's maddening, I've had some rather close calls because I couldn't see the screen well enough (within inches of hitting a power line I hadn't noticed until watching the video). I've got to get this figured out. Wish I could afford goggles.

Still - it's maddening, I've had some rather close calls because I couldn't see the screen well enough (within inches of hitting a power line I hadn't noticed until watching the video). I've got to get this figured out. Wish I could afford goggles.
You are right about googles being the best fix. With my mini, I use 3rd party apps (Maven, Litchi) that support VR (Virtual Reality) on your phone. They split the display into two on your phone then I just put my phone into some cheap goggles.

The app costs vary, maybe $20 to $30 and the goggle phone holder about $20 to $40 also. You may need to purchase a longer cable or extension to go from the Controller up to the phone.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato