DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

can I block sensors?

G Randy Brown

Reactions
Howdy... I bought an on-camera light for my camcorder and wondering if I can also do light painting with it.
According to Lume Cube they have no intention of making custom lights for the MA2 like they did for the M2P so I want to try a DIY thing.
If I have leg extensions and wanted to velcro the light to the bottom of my MA2 would you laugh at me or do you think it's worth a shot.
I realize the sensors won't work (and I would turn obstacle avoidance off) but these shots would be done in the desert.
Thanks,
Randy

Some things to consider: With the sensors off, you might end up with less accurate RTH, landing, and obstacle avoidance. I’d try and preserve the center of gravity when mounting too. Also, be cautious with flight times, not sure how well the flight time remaining calculation takes into account unexpected loads like that.

I know I shouldn't even consider using RTH but I would be within 100' of the AC.
The weight distribution is certainly something to consider but I will be limited as to where I can place the light... it only weighs 0.40 lb / 180 g so hopefuly not a big issue.
Thanks for your input!

Howdy... I bought an on-camera light for my camcorder and wondering if I can also do light painting with it.
According to Lume Cube they have no intention of making custom lights for the MA2 like they did for the M2P so I want to try a DIY thing.
If I have leg extensions and wanted to velcro the light to the bottom of my MA2 would you laugh at me or do you think it's worth a shot.
I realize the sensors won't work (and I would turn obstacle avoidance off) but these shots would be done in the desert.
Thanks,
Randy
Worth a shot!
Go for it, and post back the video!

Will do, I just wanted to make sure no one would say hell no! ?

Will do, I just wanted to make sure no one would say hell no! ?
Prop guards might add a little insurance till you are confident you can cover sensors.

report back your experience if you go ahead. Definitely handy knowledge for community

Prop guards might add a little insurance till you are confident you can cover sensors.

report back your experience if you go ahead. Definitely handy knowledge for community
I will definitely report back after I try it but it might take a week as I'm in the middle of a editing job at the moment.

Some things to consider: With the sensors off, you might end up with less accurate RTH, landing, and obstacle avoidance. I’d try and preserve the center of gravity when mounting too. Also, be cautious with flight times, not sure how well the flight time remaining calculation takes into account unexpected loads like that.
Why would It affect the accuracy of returning home? Are you saying it would affect the GPS?

Thanks,
Randy
I asked about mounts for the MA2 as well. I have them for my X-Star but I would think that they would just need to adjust the size of the M2 mounts to fit the MA2. Let me know what you come up with.

When I mentioned to Lume Cube I was surprised they won't offer mounts for MA2 (since it's so popular) he said he was too but that there are no plans.
I'll report back when I test it...thanks

Why would It affect the accuracy of returning home? Are you saying it would affect the GPS?
The downward facing camera is used for precision landing - basically matching up a photo of the landing site and takeoff site, so if that's blocked = less accurate. Same thing for the time of flight sensors on the bottom, which give a more accurate height measurement in the last few meters. I wouldn't expect it to significantly affect most of the flight home, but the last few percent will change.

As I mentioned above I would never be more than 100 feet/30m away from the AC.
As long as MA2 doesn't freak out and refuse to land or something I feel comfortable flying totally manually.
I'm a little concerned tho that even with all sensors off I still get beeping when getting close to something...is that normal?
IOW, I think it should go fine as long as MA2 is wearing "blinders" and doesn't try to correct anything.

I finally got a break in my schedule but it's raining outside...so I tested in my house.
I'll know more when I see it in total darkness (I shot it this morning) but overall I'm going to call it a success, I'll just need to remember there are absolutely no safe guards from MA2...ie on the landing you don't want to pull the stick all the way down as usual or it will hit hard.
That said, gently pulling down the stick will provide a soft landing.
I'm pretty stoked bc the light is very controllable in that the brightness are adjustable in increments of 5 up to 100% and the temperature is adjustable between 3200K and 5600 Kelvin.
I realize the way I attached it is laughable but maybe if enuf ppl are interested maybe one of the 3D printers will make something that will pop on and off easily (for now I will keep the front 1" strip of adhesive velcro stuck on my MA2 and wrap the long back piece around with no stick on velcro.)top.jpg
bottom.jpg

Reactions: MavicAir2Marc
I know I shouldn't even consider using RTH but I would be within 100' of the AC.
The weight distribution is certainly something to consider but I will be limited as to where I can place the light... it only weighs 0.40 lb / 180 g so hopefuly not a big issue.
Thanks for your input!
Hold yor drone up with a string wrapped around underneath. That will find your CG. Then, attach your light to the point with the string is.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deluxone