DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I bring my Drone to Canada? (Mini 2)

MannysVoyage

Reactions
Hi everyone,
I live in Germany and I am planning to visit Canada as Tourist in April this year. I will be visiting Quebec and Ontario. I am interested into taking my Drone with me and fly where it's possible. Am I allowed to fly my DJI Mini 2 there? Do I need to get any permit or some sort of certificate? If yes, will I be able to get it as a non Canadian and a non resident?

I hope you guys could help me and it would be perfect if it is someone with experience in this matter.

Thanks in advance

Hi everyone,
I live in Germany and I am planning to visit Canada as Tourist in April this year. I will be visiting Quebec and Ontario. I am interested into taking my Drone with me and fly where it's possible. Am I allowed to fly my DJI Mini 2 there? Do I need to get any permit or some sort of certificate? If yes, will I be able to get it as a non Canadian and a non resident?

I hope you guys could help me and it would be perfect if it is someone with experience in this matter.

Thanks in advance
If you will be flying a Mavic Mini or other microdrone (under 250g) in Canada, it’s important to note that you do not require an SFOC-RPAS though must still use common sense and not cause a hazard to other airspace users or to people on the ground.

If you will be flying a Mavic Mini or other microdrone (under 250g) in Canada, it’s important to note that you do not require an SFOC-RPAS though must still use common sense and not cause a hazard to other airspace users or to people on the ground.

It means I do not have to take any tests or something like that? I would of course fly far away from people and airports.

If yr drone is under 250 grams there is no need for registration or licenses but u must stay away from airports and abide by nuisance laws Including privacy and safety. Just Google « transport Canada drones under 250grams »

Hi everyone,

Thanks in advance
I believe you still need a basic certificate but you do not need to register the drone. It's a 35 question test and cost $10. You can take it online. Here is the link.

I believe you still need a basic certificate but you do not need to register the drone.
Nope. No registration, no Basic, no Advanced certificate is required for sub-250 gram micro-RPAS.

Don explains it really well using clear language in this video.

He mentions there are restricted areas that do apply equally to ALL drones (including sub-250) like Niagara Falls and the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa. His "Drone Pilot Canada" app is brilliant and highly recommended. Otherwise you can use the "Drone site selection tool" from the National Research Council Canada to show those CYR restricted Class F airspace areas.

Down the left side of the drone site selection tool map, click on the this gameboy symbol to bring up a choice of which weight category your drone is in. Select MICRO (<250G). That changes the colours of the marked regions on the map. Clicking on any identified zone brings up more details.

micro.jpg

Nope. No registration, no Basic, no Advanced certificate is required for sub-250 gram micro-RPAS.

He mentions there are restricted areas that do apply equally to ALL drones (including sub-250) like Niagara Falls and the Parliament Buildings in Ottawa. His "Drone Pilot Canada" app is brilliant and highly recommended. Otherwise you can use the "Drone site selection tool" from the National Research Council Canada to show those CYR restricted Class F airspace areas.

Down the left side of the drone site selection tool map, click on the this gameboy symbol to bring up a choice of which weight category your drone is in. Select MICRO (<250G). That changes the colours of the marked regions on the map. Clicking on any identified zone brings up more details.

View attachment 144871
Thanks a lot for your help!! I found the app NAV Drone (my understanding it’s a canadian app, we use an identical App in Germany..). Is it reliable?

View attachment 144871
Thanks, Zbip57 ! I am headed to Canada in May. I was going to take the test and now I don't have to. I see that the "Don drones on" presentation, which was very good BTW, was made in 2020. I hope the rules haven't changed.

I’ve attached a screen shot from the Transport Canada AIM manual with some information.

And here is a link to more information. Flying your drone safely and legally
Hope this helps and enjoy your time in Canada. Happy flying.

Attachments

• 2FDEFF65-44B9-4E13-A99D-FF19E09D628C.png
    2FDEFF65-44B9-4E13-A99D-FF19E09D628C.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 11
Reactions: SethB

I believe this is the information you require picked from from Drone Laws in Canada [Updated October 12, 2021]

RPAS Safety Assurance​

The RPAS Safety Assurance tells users the safety limits of the drone they are using. Pilots must operate their drone within the limits outlined in the RPAS Safety Assurance that its manufacturer declared to Transport Canada. An RPAS Safety Assurance is needed to conduct advanced operations.

Foreign operators​

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research).

You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

As of 5/26/2020 – Please note, Canada is currently not accepting SFOC applications from visitors to Canada looking to fly recreationally. This change does not affect foreigners requesting an SFOC for commercial purposes. This temporary restriction will be re-evaluated in January 2021.

I believe this is the information you require [...]​

Foreign operators [...]​

If you are a foreign operator [...], you must have [...]

That is only true in that it applies to 250g-25kg "Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft".

All small 250g-25kg "Small RPA" must be registered, but only Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada are permitted to register their aircraft (see CARS 901.04). Foreign operators currently cannot register a 250+ gram drone in Canada. Hence the need for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC), which Transport Canada is no longer processing for recreational tourists.

However, NONE of that applies to a sub-250 gram "micro-RPAS" like the Mini-2.

I believe this is the information you require picked from from Drone Laws in Canada [Updated October 12, 2021] ....​

It's best to go straight to the source, the Canadian Aviation Regulations.

Start with the critical bit that's hidden way up at the top under 101.01 Interpretation. Scroll down alphabetically to find the definition of "small remotely piloted aircraft", which says:
small remotely piloted aircraft means a remotely piloted aircraft that has a maximum take-off weight of at least 250 g (0.55 pounds) but not more than 25 kg (55 pounds); (petit aéronef télépiloté)

Then jump down to 900.01 - Part IX -- Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems. Note, this starts off applicable to ALL remotely piloted aircraft systems. The big one here is 900.06 Reckless or Negligent Operation, which says:
900.06 No person shall operate a remotely piloted aircraft system in such a reckless or negligent manner as to endanger or be likely to endanger aviation safety or the safety of any person.
That Cardinal Rule applies to ALL drones, including sub-250 gram micro-drones!

EVERYTHING else below that point (Registration, Basic Operations, Advanced Operations, Special Flight Operations, etc.), all of that only applies to "Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft" (i.e. 250g-25kg). Over 25kg is definitely SFOC territory.

None of that stuff applies to sub-250g micro-drones, as long as you're not operating in a manner that could be interpreted as reckless or negligent. For example, there is no explicit aviation regulation prohibiting you from flying your Mavic Mini directly across the runways of Ottawa International Airport, except CARS 900.06 as that would certainly be considered reckless and negligent.

Reactions: EyesWideShut
That is only true in that it applies to 250g-25kg "Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft".

All small 250g-25kg "Small RPA" must be registered, but only Canadian citizens or permanent residents of Canada are permitted to register their aircraft (see CARS 901.04). Foreign operators currently cannot register a 250+ gram drone in Canada. Hence the need for a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC), which Transport Canada is no longer processing for recreational tourists.

However, NONE of that applies to a sub-250 gram "micro-RPAS" like the Mini-2.
It's best to go straight to the source, the Canadian Aviation Regulations.

Start with the critical bit that's hidden way up at the top under 101.01 Interpretation. Scroll down alphabetically to find the definition of "small remotely piloted aircraft", which says:

Then jump down to 900.01 - Part IX -- Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems. Note, this starts off applicable to ALL remotely piloted aircraft systems. The big one here is 900.06 Reckless or Negligent Operation, which says:

That Cardinal Rule applies to ALL drones, including sub-250 gram micro-drones!

EVERYTHING else below that point (Registration, Basic Operations, Advanced Operations, Special Flight Operations, etc.), all of that only applies to "Small Remotely Piloted Aircraft" (i.e. 250g-25kg). Over 25kg is definitely SFOC territory.

None of that stuff applies to sub-250g micro-drones, as long as you're not operating in a manner that could be interpreted as reckless or negligent. For example, there is no explicit aviation regulation prohibiting you from flying your Mavic Mini directly across the runways of Ottawa International Airport, except CARS 900.06 as that would certainly be considered reckless and negligent.
You may well be correct but I see nowhere where it indicates this also applies to foreign operators. I agree in this case it is best to go straight to the source and in this regard I would suggest direct contact with Transport Canada requesting the specific area that covers foreigners flying sub-250g drones in Canada.

You may well be correct but I see nowhere where it indicates this also applies to foreign operators.
Look at it the other way around. Where do the RPAS regulations explicitly apply to foreign operators?

901.04 says only Canadian citizens or permanent residents can register a drone. You cannot fly a Small RPAS (250g-25kg) without registration. Ergo, foreigners cannot fly a Small RPAS without special permission via an SFOC. Nowhere does it say they cannot fly a sub-250g micro-drone.

903.1 specifies the types of operations for which an SFOC is required, including:
903.01 No person shall conduct any of the following operations [... detail removed ...] unless the person complies with the provisions of a special flight operations certificate — RPAS issued by the Minister under section 903.03:

• (c) the operation of a system by a foreign operator or pilot who has been authorized to operate remotely piloted aircraft systems by the foreign state;

I removed the "detail" bit only because the SFOC requirement reads more clearly that way. But that detail is critical, because it more fully says,
903.01 No person shall conduct any of the following operations using a remotely piloted aircraft system that includes a remotely piloted aircraft having a maximum take-off weight of 250 g (0.55 pounds) or more unless [...]

That wording does not include sub-250 gram micro-drones. So evidently an SFOC is not required for foreign operators of sub-250g Mavic Minis.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mupps64