DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I do a search and rescue without a Part 107 License?

jaysmithtechtv

Reactions
There are some people near me who have a drone but they need someone to operate it to help them find one of their relatives that has gone missing. Would it be against the rules for me to offer my services? I don't have a Part 107 License or anything but I have been flying drones for 2 years now.

Unfortunately search and rescue is non-recreational, and therefore falls under Part 107, as the FAA has clarified a number of times. That said, as far as I'm aware the FAA has only ever pursued sUAS SAR organizations over the issue, not private individuals helping in one-off situations. So while it's not recreational flight it probably won't attract attention unless the flight caused damage or injury.

In New Mexico we (State Search and Rescue) are only permitted to use Part 107 pilots as part of the search effort, but I know that non-certified pilots do sometimes participate outside the formal SAR command structure. They certainly go out and help people look for lost pets.

Very well said @sar104

Here in North Carolina you can't be a part of a Search & Rescue UAS response unless you have a min of Part 107. An official Incident most likely will adhere to this rule very strictly but an unorganized/unofficial search might be a wholly other situation.

You don’t call it search and rescue. It’s kinda like having a camp fire in the city. Most of the time burning is illigeal. It’s not illigeal if you have a pack of hotdogs nearby and your using it to cook. So my advice is your flying as a recreational hobbyist and leave it at that.

You don’t call it search and rescue. It’s kinda like having a camp fire in the city. Most of the time burning is illigeal. It’s not illigeal if you have a pack of hotdogs nearby and your using it to cook. So my advice is your flying as a recreational hobbyist and leave it at that.
My thoughts exactly, what you see on your camera is your business. If you happen to see something helpful you can offer your information.
Just don't interfere with an otherwise organized search.

Ok, thanks, everyone. There's a guy near me that wants someone to search my area with a drone that he has so from what I'm understanding here, I think it'd be ok. Correct?

Ok, thanks, everyone. There's a guy near me that wants someone to search my area with a drone that he has so from what I'm understanding here, I think it'd be ok. Correct?

From a purely legal standpoint? NEGATIVE! You can't "HOBBY" for someone else. You'll need your Part 107 or you're violating Federal Regulations. It's that plain and simple let alone with random people on the internet tell you.

If you don't believe me (I'm with the FAA in North Carolina) call the FSDO closest to you and post the same question to them:

Reactions: Recoveryone
Not to mention, if there is an active search and rescue, 107 or not, you're not allowed to fly drones in the area without permission from authorities as full sized aircraft may come into the area unannounced and at low altitude.

People in my area are getting arrested flying near operations like that. They’re taking this kind of thing VERY seriously.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada