DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly from Newport NJ over the Hudson towards NYC?

Sharvul

Reactions
Hi
I am visiting in NJ and thinking of flying from the pier of the hyatt Hotel across the Hudson to take some shots of Manhattan skyline. Is that allowed?

NYC is a NFZ and there is a lot of air traffic along the river. I would not advise doing this.

Not a chance in the world I would try it, the amount of uncontrolled airspace over the Hudson is the size of a postage stamp, the amount of air traffic in that corridor trying to avoid ATC by flying VFR in ( what I think is) Class G is mind boggling.

General Aviation, sight seeing helicopters, commercial helicopter taxi service, to say nothing of Newark and Teterboro being right in back of your take off point

Did you look at the NYC Sectional?

Last edited:
Not a chance in the world I would try it, the amount of uncontrolled airspace over the Hudson is the size of a postage stamp, the amount of air traffic in that corridor trying to avoid ATC by flying VFR in ( what I think is) Class G is mind boggling.

General Aviation, sight seeing helicopters, commercial helicopter taxi service, to say nothing of Newark and Teterboro being right in back of your take off point

Did you look at the NYC Sectional?
What is the NYC sectional and how do I check it?

Casey Neistat on YouTube posted all kinds of drone videos of Manhattan and surrounding areas --- how does he get away with it ??

Casey Neistat on YouTube posted all kinds of drone videos of Manhattan and surrounding areas --- how does he get away with it ??

He actually got in a fair amount of trouble with the FAA for those videos. Supposedly he agreed to never fly around NYC after the FAA threatened him.

I’ve done it, only at low altitude. When choppers come by I always brought the drone much lower and closer to myself. Never really let it go out of VLOS.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Deltabird