DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly Mini 2 SE inside my apartment ?

DaGa

Reactions
Hi guys, yesterday I buy my first DJI drone - Mini 2 SE. I was able to make one first flight yesterday and I loved that drone .

But unfortunately, today the weather turned bad - it rained all day and let it stay like that all week. For this reason, I want to ask - is it a problem to enjoy the drone inside the apartment? Yes, it won't be fully fun inside the apartment, but it's still something. Just to getting used to its management.

P.P. I have some experience flying drones, but they were cheap models

Yes you can....... BUT the room needs to be WELL LIT and have a clear and distinct 'floor' pattern.
Without GPS, as is likely to be the situation indoors, then the drone relies on the downward looking VPS sensor to hold position, those sensor need good light and good targets to work.

I have flown both the Mavic Mini and the Mini 2 indoors A LOT.
DO NOT fly it near walls or the ceiling, there seems to be a tendency for them to suck into a nearby wall and they certainly will suck up to the ceiling.

I hand launch and try to remember to hold them with the front towards me, so that the VPS sensors (at the back) can "see". If launching from a table top try to have something white under the drone, things get a bit more complicated with the launch if the 'table top is dark'.
NO loose paper or plastic bags in the room.
Hand launching I often get a slight horizontal drift on launch, maybe 3ft or so, so make sure you have the space.

If the room is too dark then there is a better than fair chance the drone will switch to ATTI and you will crash it, unless you are familiar with flying in ATTI mode.

DO NOT try to do aerobatics or fancy and daring flying indoors. Use small and gentle stick movement in P mode.
I find P mode better than C mode, I can fly them indoors in sports mode but you nned to be VERY CAREFUL with the sticks.
Big stick movements cause fast responses from the drone and may result in you panicing and forming a postitve feed back loop with the drone.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldGuy
You may fly inside. It's up to you whether or not you have proficiency to do so; the "can" is up to you.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Hi guys, yesterday I buy my first DJI drone - Mini 2 SE. I was able to make one first flight yesterday and I loved that drone .

But unfortunately, today the weather turned bad - it rained all day and let it stay like that all week. For this reason, I want to ask - is it a problem to enjoy the drone inside the apartment? Yes, it won't be fully fun inside the apartment, but it's still something. Just to getting used to its management.

P.P. I have some experience flying drones, but they were cheap models

The information provided by Yorkshire_Pud is good.

I would add prop guards to the mini to help prevent damage to the aircraft, structure, or bodily harm when flying in a confined space.

Cheap insurance. 🙂

Great advise has been shared. Just be careful.

It’s got “CRASH” written all over it. Apart from that it wouldn’t be a whole lot of fun anyway. Just don’t try a Quickshot Asteroid to 120 meters. Better still put it away until the sun shines ☀️

Better to spend those rainy days reading and re-reading the manual. Inside flying can be done, but it is a tense activity - see the very accurate warnings above. And if you manage to run into something or someone or crash it, you have the distinct possibility of not being able to fly outside when the weather clears because you have damaged your drone.

It’s got “CRASH” written all over it.
Only if one is ham fisted with the joy sticks or ignores the warnings given in this thread.
My "a lot" is probably around 1,000 flights, including Mavic 2 pro & zoom flights and possibly Phantom 3 flights.
Yes I have crashed a few time but only when not following the suggestions in post #2.

With regards to no fun, that may or may not be true and varies with the individual........BUT it is good training in delicate usage of the joy sticks.

With regards to the quick shot to 120m. Although I assume that was a joke, with no GPS I doubt it is possible for several reasons, those that spring to mind are
1) the drone is likely limited to a height of 5m
2) Quick Shot Asteroid probably relies on GPS.

Reactions: mobilehomer
I also don't have a lot of areas to fly close by, so.... I occasionally practice indoors.
As mentioned, room well lit, fly slow and deliberate - RTH off -Obstacle avoidance off if its tight quarters - prop guards are VERY helpful. If drone runs into wall without prop guards it bounces off and goes crazy into another wall, not pretty. It only takes one little mistake to crash. Guess how I know that :rolleyes: And remember , if you fly over anything, it will climb 3 ft above it

recently I bought a very inexpensive drone to practice with indoors.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato