DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I fly near a VOR station?

Reactions
I'm learning to read sectional charts and noticed there's a VOR station a few miles from my home. Doesn't look like it's in restricted airspace, and Google Earth shows it as a fenced-in area in the middle of a farmer's field. Can I fly over and around it for a closer look, or would the FAA assume I'm a terrorist since it's critical infrastructure?

Just curious what it looks like close up.

Use B4UFLY to check area. Some VORs are co-located with airports. You will need authorization for all of those above Class E1 airspace. If not co-located, I do not see an issue at below 400AGL Do carry your registration card and remote pilot license (if you have one) just in case someone asks you for those.

Use B4UFLY to check area. Some VORs are co-located with airports. You will need authorization for all of those above Class E1 airspace. If not co-located, I do not see an issue at below 400AGL Do carry your registration card and remote pilot license (if you have one) just in case someone asks you for those.
Well, I assume the sectional chart would tell me if it was near an airport or otherwise restricted airspace, and it is neither. I just wanted to know if anyone had any thoughts on how the FAA would feel about someone flying a drone near their equipment. I would stay well above it and probably not directly overhead, but I don't want them thinking I have bad intentions and calling in the fighter jets to intercept or anything (!). Good idea on having my registration card with me just in case.

Anyone know if these things even have on-site monitoring personnel, or are they pretty much just an autonomous transmitter that only requires an occasional visit for maintenance or repairs? If the latter, then it's likely nobody would even know I was there.

I use this website before accepting any jobs.

As stated, if none of the apps like KittyHawk or even the sectional maps don't have it surrounded as an NFZ - then fly it, but I'd stay a safe distance anyway - outside of fenced zone - as if it drops inside - then how do you retrieve it. Doubtful these places are manned. Way one to find out - drive over and give it a look see.

The sectional chart is the best guide. But remember aircraft will fly over the VOR frequently, maybe some fancy ultra lights have VOR receivers could make low passes, so I’d be cautious. I’m not in the US but I would contact the Air Navigation Service provider and ask, it’s easy and they’d appreciate yr safety mentality.

I know of no reason you can't fly by a VOR site. VOR sites are unmanned. In my experience they have relatively small areas inside the fence. Mostly to keep cattle/etc. away. I suppose to keep vandals out also, but I've seen some remote sites unfenced.

There is a site about 6 miles from me. I have never seen aircraft making low passes over it. It is on top of a butte. There is really no reason for an aircraft to make a low pass over one.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54