DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

can i have a 3 blades on each motor good

Instead of 2? Sure you could, they sell them but I'm not sure I believe in the benefits i.e. lower noise, etc.

I'm just worried about more drag and if it'll burn out my motors?
Would they be more quieter?

And what do you want to achieve by that?

3 blades will give more air resistance which will create higher amp draw which in turn consume the battery quicker.

3 blades will generate more thrust which mean a lower needed rpm to create the same amount of lift...

But with experience from FPV quad flying the increased battery draw from a greater air resistance is bigger than the gain you get from a lower rpm. So you probably will have shorter flight times with a 3 blade compared to a 2 blade.

3 blades gives less air slip... but as this is a Mavic 2 photo drone & not a racing quad I don't see much benefits here.

3 blades can give you lower prop sound... or at least a different sound.

3 blades will not change your Mavic 2's max vertical or horizontal speed... this as those are governed by the firmware on a Mavic 2.

So in the end... not much gain, would a 3 blade be better than a 2 blade the Mavic 2 would be delivered with it from DJI.

Last edited:
Thank you very much Slup, great information, and you answered all my questions and then some.

@ slup Aren't 2 bladed props considered to be the most efficient, balanced propeller, with more than two blades being used where more thrust is desired but propeller diameter is limited?

@ slup Aren't 2 bladed props considered to be the most efficient, balanced propeller, with more than two blades being used where more thrust is desired but propeller diameter is limited?
Well... if the frame prevents you from generating the amount of thrust that you need, one way can certainly be to add blades, but it doesn't come without a cost. Another way could be to increase the prop pitch, also that with increased amp draw.

2 blades is well known to be most efficient due to less drag... if you're into long range FPV flying you will sooner or later try out 2 blades in order to squeeze out more flight time.

Actually have a 2 blade setup for my 5" iFlight Nazgul Evoque & when I strap on a bigger & much heavier 4000mAh 6S LiIon pack for a longer (timewise) flight full up with a GoPro 10 (all up weight a tad above 1kg) I gain between 15-20% more flight time compared to a ordinary 3 blade I use for freestyle flying.

Using 3 blades on a photo drone (where flight time is highest prioritized) is at best a fancy bling.

Another aspect I forgot in post #4 is the Mavic 2's PID tune... changing props can upset the way the Mavic flies, on a quad you have access to the PID values & can re-tune when changing a variable like the prop... on a Mavic the tune is locked into the FW so it is what it is.

And what do you want to achieve by that?

3 blades will give more air resistance which will create higher amp draw which in turn consume the battery quicker.

3 blades will generate more thrust which mean a lower needed rpm to create the same amount of lift...

But with experience from FPV quad flying the increased battery draw from a greater air resistance is bigger than the gain you get from a lower rpm. So you probably will have shorter flight times with a 3 blade compared to a 2 blade.

3 blades gives less air slip... but as this is a Mavic 2 photo drone & not a racing quad I don't see much benefits here.

3 blades can give you lower prop sound... or at least a different sound.

3 blades will not change your Mavic 2's max vertical or horizontal speed... this as those are governed by the firmware on a Mavic 2.

So in the end... not much gain, would a 3 blade be better than a 2 blade the Mavic 2 would be delivered with it from

I'm just worried about more drag and if it'll burn out my motors?
Would they be more quieter?
Do you not think DJI has tried and tested this? DJI has a team of engineers second to no other consumer drone manufacturer. Who knows, maybe you could improve their product?

Reactions: Meta4
Thank you very much Slup, great information, and you answered all my questions and then some.
Never used them myself, but a flying partner has. He reckoned that apart from a slightly lower pitched sound, they didn't alter lift or handling any better than the OEM rotors. On the other hand: I have used Master Airscrew ENDURE and STEALTH props exclusively for 3 years and think that they do offer minor, but real benefits.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UR7CR