DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I launch my drone from a private residence adjacent to a state park and fly over the state park?

Can I launch my drone from a private residence (my friends place, with permission) adjacent to a state park and fly over the state park? While I maintain a line of sight from the private property.
Yes, you can.
The park has "no flying drone signs".

However, there is some conflicting information, if its only prohibited to take-off and land within the state park.
Typically yes, that is the case. FAA controls the airspace. State and local governments control what happens on the ground.
If allowed, how many feet out would be reasonable for a "line of sight", at say a height of 100 ft.
If you can see it, it is within Line of Sight. The use of strobes can assist in that regard. With my Firehouse ARC-V strobes, I can maintain LOS to about 2 km.

Can I launch my drone from a private residence (my friends place, with permission) adjacent to a state park and fly over the state park? While I maintain a line of sight from the private property.

The park has "no flying drone signs".

However, there is some conflicting information, if its only prohibited to take-off and land within the state park.

If allowed, how many feet out would be reasonable for a "line of sight", at say a height of 100 ft.
The laws are clear, the question is what kind of risk are you willing to take and do they out way what you would gain from the flight. Sometimes being safe means being smart. Your doubts should help you decide. Most car today will go over 100 miles an hour, but are you going to drive that fast.. Just saying, have a great day and fly safe.

I have great trouble finding places to fly, just to practice and learn to use it. In California, the State Parks allow drones in general, but each park can set its own rules. Try to find one that lets you fly a drone. I haven't.
Drone copter 101 would fly out by a desert road it looked like barstol California area if you watch his videos you might figure out where he flew
From.

I have the mini 2 and I put on the orange skin. That orange color provides a great increase in visibility. I have also heard that some people put a reflective foil on the body of the uas and if they lose sight of it, just rotate it and look for the flash from the reflective material. So, how would you rate a strobe for daytime use compared to the orange skin and reflective material? I have not tried using a strobe for daytime flying. I know you must have a strobe visible for 3sm at night, but is it legal to use a strobe to increase daytime visibility?
I have a M2P and an Autel Evo 2 Pro which is orange. I can see my E2P substantially further away than the grey Mavic. Anytime I look at the grey I wonder ‘what were they thinking?’, ditto with the blue Skydio’s. Why these things aren’t screaming hot neon pink is beyond me (yeah I know people would look at them on the shelf and reject it based on color, but once you’ve been flying for a while you embrace the useful over the aesthetic).

Yes, you can.

Typically yes, that is the case. FAA controls the airspace. State and local governments control what happens on the ground.

If you can see it, it is within Line of Sight. The use of strobes can assist in that regard. With my Firehouse ARC-V strobes, I can maintain LOS to about 2 km.

That's not correct. Merely being able to see the aircraft is not all that's required.

§ 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation.

(a) With vision that is unaided by any device other than corrective lenses, the remote pilot in command, the visual observer (if one is used), and the person manipulating the flight control of the small unmanned aircraft system must be able to see the unmanned aircraft throughout the entire flight in order to:

(1) Know the unmanned aircraft's location;

(2) Determine the unmanned aircraft's attitude, altitude, and direction of flight;

(3) Observe the airspace for other air traffic or hazards; and

(4) Determine that the unmanned aircraft does not endanger the life or property of another.

Reactions: BigAl07
If you have totally open terrain, without strobes I'd say, depending on lighting conditions, you'll lose visual contact shortly after 400-600 ft.
I can consistently see my Air 2 at 1,000 feet out in good conditions. Even a little further sometimes. Not just me - also people with me. However, I have to keep my eyes on the drone continuously. If I take my eyes off the drone for a moment, I may not be able to find it again. Anyone else have that experience?

I can consistently see my Air 2 at 1,000 feet out in good conditions. Even a little further sometimes. Not just me - also people with me. However, I have to keep my eyes on the drone continuously. If I take my eyes off the drone for a moment, I may not be able to find it again. Anyone else have that experience?
Yes, using the strobe in the daytime helps a bit though

Where do you find reflective material for a mini 2?
Find a local store that deals with heavy truck and trailer parts. Reflective tape(red and white)typically available in rolls. You would need to cut to fit.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fast54