DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I set ALTITUDE above mean sea level instead of HEIGHT above ground level.

Maybe stand closer to the water then?

1) Height often refers to Height above Ground level for VFR (Visual Flight Rules) Pilots - Airports normally give a read out of the Barometer (also known as the QNH) of the Airport closest on takeoff - to standardise levels when approaching

2) Altitude Normally refers to a Flight Level for Instrument pilots on a Flight Plan - and based on a (QNE) barometric pressure that is standardised for all pilots using that Flight Level - The Standard for Flight Plans is to base yr Flight Level on 1013.25 hPa / 29.92" Hg. (which you adjust manually in the cockpit on yr Altimeter if in a small plane)

3) Okay that having said (and out of the way) - The altitude that, say, DJI Go4 reports - is based on the Takeoff point (Home Point)

I live in Johannesburg which is 6000ft above msl (Mean sea level)
So No Matter whether I fly on a Beach in CapeTown or in JHB - the DJI go4 App reports about 2m after takeoff.

4) Based on 3 above, I also fly for a Mountain that is about 100 ft above average ground - so My takeoff starting at say 2m high on the mountain.... will report NEGATIVE as I reach the Bottom of the mountain - … so - 80ft till hitting the ground or landing down there at -100feet (note minus)

So to skim the sea - it would be good to visually Record the Height of the Beach as you Watch from your High point - or alternatively in Goggles - or on the APP Video View.... NOTE the Negative altitude - and fly above that - … remembering that Water essentially should all be at the same height -

Its important to note - that as you trip out to say 1km to sea - the swells can get pretty large up to a few meters - so safe flying above that is recommended.

But for Beach Proximity flying, Depending on the Waves rolling in - … about 8-10 ft above the water - …. is pretty safe for me....

Hope this Helps

If You'd like to see a video - of small wave skipping … Just ask -

Last edited:
Thank you. As a BA pilot, I often visited JNB. so am familiar with QFE, QNH etc.

Basically all the drone will ever read is height above take-off point.

You have some spectacular scenery in Africa so I guess you get some great footage. One day i’d love to return and visit JNB, Durban and then down the Garden Route via Hermanus to video the whales close to the shore Then on to Cape Town

Do you have any photos or videos that you can share with us please?

Thanks for your post.

Thank you. As a BA pilot, I often visited JNB. so am familiar with QFE, QNH etc.

Basically all the drone will ever read is height above take-off point.

You have some spectacular scenery in Africa so I guess you get some great footage. One day i’d love to return and visit JNB, Durban and then down the Garden Route via Hermanus to video the whales close to the shore Then on to Cape Town

Do you have any photos or videos that you can share with us please?

Thanks for your post.

Sure … here is an awesome one from Cape town...
Th ewind was howling - but the drone Just killed it - … with a bit more tilt

heres a cool one over JHB city skyline

Reactions: RickAung
Sure … here is an awesome one from Cape town...
Th ewind was howling - but the drone Just killed it - … with a bit more tilt

heres a cool one over JHB city skyline
Some great footage particularly CPT near the sea with the waves breaking over the rocks. Were you using the Mavic zoom? I watched them on my big 66 inch screen TV and the quality was excellent What video setting did you use please? Thanks for sharing.

When you get down to CPT again it may be worth filming Boulder Bay where the penguins are and the Botanic Gardens. I loved your footage of Table Top Mountain with its tablecloth on

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ifish4bass