DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can I take a boxed drone on plane

dronecrasher

Reactions
I bought a mavic air 2s for a relative spontaneously and I will depart tomorrow for Dubai and wanted to Know if I can take the sealed drone on the plane or do I need to take things out?

Thank you

When going through TSA security, there is always a chance they'll see something on the X-ray machine that looks a bit unusual, and they may want to open things up to take a look. I don't think it's very likely, but it's always possible. That's true whether it goes through carry-on or checked luggage, but in my experience, they tend to look more carefully at carry on baggage.

The lithium batteries of a drone should go in carry on, not in checked luggage. The rest of the drone can go in either.

Also, when you arrive at your destination, I believe you'll have to go through customs inspection. I have never travelled to Dubai, so I have no info on how intense their customs inspection might be, or whether a drone would cause any concern. In most countries, customs inspection is concerned with finding contraband or finding items where a duty or tax may be owed.

Reactions: Ron Caballero CAP
I bought a mavic air 2s for a relative spontaneously and I will depart tomorrow for Dubai and wanted to Know if I can take the sealed drone on the plane or do I need to take things out?

Thank you
It isn't so much can you take a drone on a plane, its what happens when you get to the other side and customs, if you don't have the necessary paperwork they will confiscate it. so check with the UAE embassy first

The only problem that I can see is that it might not fit in the overhead. The Airline could insist in checking it.

Call or check with the Airlines

You should be able to take it onboard, heck you can buy some at departure duty free in most big airports.

You might have issues entering Dubai with it though, you can buy one in Dubai all you want but bringing one through customs can be a pain. I'm sure it's changed since but last I checked you needed a bunch of advance paperwork.

I don't know if TSA is going to want to open the box or not. But the batteries inside the box MUST go inside the cabin. I would have to think that once past TSA you're good until you get to Dubai customs.

Just this past week I took my M2P on vacation to NY then returned from Burlington VT with my drone and accessories in my backpack. I do have a KTN and always get pre-check status so I breeze through security. Never as single question about my drone. Sometimes the crew might want to have you "green tag" your package at the gate, but you need to let them know there are lithium batteries in that sealed box.

As noted elsewhere, the batteries would be the primary safety concern as a cargo plane caught fire several years ago and crashed; the fire was traced back to some batteries. Since you will also be on the plane with the batteries, on a long haul flight and nowhere else to run, I would check very carefuly with the airline, just for your own safety. Batteries can combust. They might have a special cargo cabinet that they use for combustible items like batteries, aerosols, fuels etc. And contact the embassy in writing to get a written (email) reply from a named person, to check on compliance documentation before arriving at the destination - or in transit, too, if you plan to carry items in the cabin. Transit stops also do scans and they might confiscate them. ????

I took my mavic Air on a domestic trip in my hand luggage last month. No problem at all. One battery installed and two in separate plastic bags also in hand luggage.

Charge your battery about half its capacity and transport it in a LiPo safe bag in carry-on luggage (Google "LiPo fire" for the 'why').
Know the regulations in the country your travelling to. For instance it's illegal to even possess a drone in Marocco and I guess Dubai has regulations (Google gave me Aviation safety - The Official Portal of the UAE Government)
For the rest, the advice would be to find stuff out before you need it, buy a drone well in advance to using it, get to know its handling, use youtube for Do's and Don't's just to get the best footage possible in the locations you actuallly wanna fly.

Think of the excite you would generate flying it in the cabin DURING your flight. JUST KIDDING!

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skyscansurveys