DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can i update the a/c and r/c WITHOUT updating DJI Go4?

Mavic2steve

Reactions
Just as the title states, is it possible? The reason I'm asking is because I'm using a Samsung sm-t580 (android 8.1.0) and im worried about the app possibly crashing mid flight.

Last edited:
Yes you an but can’t say about your device. Now I keep up to date
on both and think it’s wise if your going to up date 1 you need to up to Up date both as there might be something that will only work if firmware and software match if that makes any sense.

Reactions: Juggler
Got it thank you! If I update the app and run into issues can I revert back to my current version 4.3.24?

Got it thank you! If I update the app and run into issues can I revert back to my current version 4.3.24?
Have never tried to revert back but seen others do it. Sorry but I can’t advise you on that. Seems I just saw in a thread in here with a YT on how to do it.

Reactions: old man mavic
when it comes to the app update, it can mean that your device does not have a fast enough CPU to run it successfully, if you look what the requirements are before you do the update it will tell you the system requirements and if your device is not suitable it should tell you and fail to update as for firmware it does sometimes require the latest app update to be running before it will work

I'm also worried that I will be locked out of some of the areas I fly in once I update the app. Not sure if that part can be undone when reverting back to the version I'm using.

I believe the "Geo-locking" is in the AC firmware, not the Go4 app.
Yes. you can update your AC and such, and you don't have to update the Go4 app if you don't want to.
Just be aware that it seems that they kind of limit the amount you can "roll back to", so think carefully before you do the "updating"....
Hey, here is a place you can grab almost any/all the earlier versions of the Go4 app.
They got more resource hungry as the "versions" progressed....Pick your flavor...

It is my thinking that the firmware version and Go app version
go together. Like if your 1 firmware back you should be 1 software
version back if that makes sense. Why I have always stayed updated.
Course I have no issues with geo locks.

I would really like to have the ability to fly 6 miles out but in reality I've never flown further than 2 miles LOL! Plus I don't want more flight restrictions and/or deal with app crashes when my bird is flying well. Thank you guys for helping me make a decision!

Don’t quite think it would make it 6 And back without a battery mod,
might be wrong but guess I’ve been lucky as I have never since the Go
app came out have had it to crash. Cables go bad yes but other than
that nope. Why I can’t be as lucky picking power ball #’s I don’t know.?

I'm too chickens*** to attempt 5 miles let alone going further, unless I win the lotto ;). My problem is that although my tablet does the job with a 10" screen it is not a supported device by dji and go4 uses a lot of resources. I had the app crash once mid flight, restarted the tablet, restored connection, then landed safely. My only workaround to the app crashing is to remove ALL unnecessary apps/videos/pics etc before going out to fly. Unfortunately I was a cheapskate at the time and bought the model with less memory....lesson learned.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dirkclod
FWIW If you're going to take this "hobby" seriously, you need a dedicated monitor device (only necessary drone flying apps installed), which has the technology to run DJI Go flawlessly. For several years, I used the NIVIDA K1 Shield - until it couldn't keep up w/DJI GO. (I'll never understand why NVIDIA did not continue to support and update this winning device :(). Known, tested and recommended devices are shown here: Best Tablets and Phones for DJI GO & DJI Fly (Updated Daily) | Phantom Help Personally, after my Shield failed, I reviewed the specs of many devices, and took a chance on the Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, which runs all my drone apps flawlessly. IMHO, modifying or reverting to previous DJI GO apps is self defeating. Important other apps, e.g., Litchi, write their code to comply w/the latest DJI GO release, and their functionality depends on that. I've always updated, per instruction, and have never had a issue.

Hear what your saying and I take this hobby very serious but you
don’t have to have a dedicated device just one that’s has enough power to handle what ever. I use mine to work the forums here, fly with it as well as other things. Is easier on my finances to just have
1 device. Now I’m talking pads not phones. I can’t fly with one.
old eyes need big screen.?

I originally bought this tablet to use with another drone (walkera scout x4). That money pit was retired once the Mavic 2 was released and the tablet continued to work well with my m2z, up until the last update (when I experienced my first disconnect). Since then I’ve cleaned out all unnecessary files/videos/pics before take off and it has run perfectly since. But yes I totally agree with you I need to pony up and get something that will last the lifetime of my m2z. In particular I would love to be able to use my fat shark hdo’s with the next setup....do you have any suggestions on which device (outside of a smart controller) to go with? Large, bright screen, with plenty of memory, and the ability to use fatshark hdo’s (micro hdmi).....not too much to ask for right?! I’m all ears...

• Haha
Afraid not, I use a 10.2 128gb 7th Generation iPad and can run about
as much on it as my iMac. They are kinda tied together anyway .
Im on the run so much though I have to look in here wherever I am all through the day so it works great.
Not a clue what to say about the FPV stuff though.
But speaking of that my next purchase is going to be the DJI
FPV kit and give that a go. Am in our DRP forum and watching them
is making just taking pictures kinda bla.

when it comes to the app update, it can mean that your device does not have a fast enough CPU to run it successfully, if you look what the requirements are before you do the update it will tell you the system requirements and if your device is not suitable it should tell you and fail to update as for firmware it does sometimes require the latest app update to be running before it will work

Does DJI update the app (DJI GO4) through the firmware or through app store automatically....or at least mine is set to auto update. I could not find an update choice in the app.

WDK

Does DJI update the app (DJI GO4) through the firmware or through app store automatically....or at least mine is set to auto update. I could not find an update choice in the app.

WDK
if there is an update to the app then it will be rolled out in different parts of the world at different times,with ios then you should get a update message once it is available, i have my ipad to inform me there's an update,which i can then have a look at before deciding if i want to install it, i think this is a safer way to do it ,and this includes ios updates that way you have control over whats going on

if there is an update to the app then it will be rolled out in different parts of the world at different times,with ios then you should get a update message once it is available, i have my ipad to inform me there's an update,which i can then have a look at before deciding if i want to install it, i think this is a safer way to do it ,and this includes ios updates that way you have control over whats going on

Ok thanks.....your right in that perhaps I should not have my IOS update automatically but I have found with Apple, your either moving forward or getting left behind. If they can’t fix a problem in the update they caused then I have to delete it and reinstall it from a back up....I have never had to do that......now with windows past thats is another story.

Last edited:
Look in about in your Go app And you can tell if it’s up to date.
66E9CFE2-36F3-4505-89DF-FD46EDA6DCC5.jpeg

don’t have to have a dedicated device just one that’s has enough power to handle what ever. I use mine to work the forums here, fly with it as well as other things. Is easier on my finances to just have
DirkClod - I was responding to the thread initiator, Mavic2Steve. I'm pretty sure you have what works for you. I also need the Pad for these "ol eyes" ;-)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
djiNonMini