DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can mavic flights be tracked by a third party?

That sounds like a job I wish I was qualified for :)

I guess I'm missing something here. The client gave you the UAV with stipulations, use it on their projects only.

You love the job.
The money is good.
The work is frequent so it generates consistent revenue.
You get to play with a UAV to generate revenue.

Sounds like a great gig. why wouldn't you simply comply with the terms and not worry about the fact that they say they can track it. Why shoot the golden goose?

Reactions: FLDave
I guess I'm missing something here. The client gave you the UAV with stipulations, use it on their projects only.

You love the job.
The money is good.
The work is frequent so it generates consistent revenue.
You get to play with a UAV to generate revenue.

Sounds like a great gig. why wouldn't you simply comply with the terms and not worry about the fact that they say they can track it. Why shoot the golden goose?
The OPs already stated he has no intention of using the M3 outside those client terms.
He was just posting regarding the slightly bizarre clients comment regarding being able to tell if he did use it for other gigs, track its use.

Reactions: March411
Well then I guess we are on the same page Oz. As to the tracking it's all speculation. The could have opened the shell and placed a GPS tracker in it when they set it up, we use them on all of our trucks, logs all the movements to a a central database.

My point was it shouldn't matter, great gig!

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz
Well then I guess we are on the same page Oz. As to the tracking it's all speculation. The could have opened the shell and placed a GPS tracker in it when they set it up, we use them on all of our trucks, logs all the movements to a a central database.

My point was it shouldn't matter, great gig!
True, I was wondering if gps trackers are made that small (commercially viable) to be able to be crammed inside an M3 shell somewhere.

Reactions: March411
They are pretty small, about the size of a quarter and the board is about twice as thick. There are smaller one's that use wireless that have gotten more popular since 5G rolled out that are real small. The challnge is the signal still drops in remote locations.

They are pretty small, about the size of a quarter and the board is about twice as thick. There are smaller one's that use wireless that have gotten more popular since 5G rolled out that are real small. The challnge is the signal still drops in remote locations.
Ah, AirTag type devices or such, dependent on a mobile (cell) connection ?
Yes, those are about and a possibility that small to fit inside.
Maybe they’d be fine gr this as much of ur planet is covered now, at least where people generally venture.
I was probably thinking more if true independent gps type tracking systems.

Presumably if the device came unpacked, it may have come preconfigured with DJI account to sync to cloud in such case yes they can use that to monitor it's usage. Any attempt to tamper with it they'll just assume personal use..

They seem paranoid, but perhaps understandable for the investment.
You must be taking assignments remotely, travelling to do the jobs, back to your base, otherwise it'd make more sense to have the drone available with one of their company employees on site.

The pre assembly is interesting . . . is there room for some sort of modern GPS tracker to be installed inside the shell ??
I wouldn't think so, not sure commercial viability in that small a size, or how hard it is to pre wire it to power from the drone system/ battery.

I Googled > internal drone tracking gps < but a quick glance through page one nothing of worth came up.
There are trackers that are fairly small. I'd believe them.

So weird situation but I got sent a M3 by one of my clients to use exclusively for their jobs. I don't plan on using it for anything else, but they said if I use it for any other of my clients "they will know" and "have ways of tracking it". And per our contract, they can charge a fee if I do. Just thought it was a weird statement, how could they possibly know my usage, if I'm registering it to my own DJI account? Even if they request DJI flight logs, a user could just delete the specific flights, right? Lol. I'm thinking it was kinda just an empty threat. Again, not planning on using it for anything else, I have my own drone for that but I am genuinely curious.
The only way I can see they could know, is if the quad is registered with their account, or they have access to your account.
If so, then it would be simple to see the flight history.
Otherwise, it’s just a bluff…

So weird situation but I got sent a M3 by one of my clients to use exclusively for their jobs. I don't plan on using it for anything else, but they said if I use it for any other of my clients "they will know" and "have ways of tracking it". And per our contract, they can charge a fee if I do. Just thought it was a weird statement, how could they possibly know my usage, if I'm registering it to my own DJI account? Even if they request DJI flight logs, a user could just delete the specific flights, right? Lol. I'm thinking it was kinda just an empty threat. Again, not planning on using it for anything else, I have my own drone for that but I am genuinely curious.
If they own the Mavic 3 then that means they have it registered with DJI. As a consultant in a different industry, I am often given new laptops to work it. When I pick up the laptop, it's all set up and ready to go meaning the laptop has been registered with the manufacturer and all the software registered in the company's account as well.

i have a few gps trackers here. Just pulled one apart and removed all the electronics from the casing.
Could easily fit this inside a bird, especially if i jack off the existing GPS antenna that is already fitted to the drone. Can also power direct from bird and with a micro sim card could easily have this thing phone home.
However, I would doubt they have done this to 2000 birds.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
InspectorTom