DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Mavic take a bird's eye view pano in portrait mode?

floyd

Reactions
I'm a newbie, who isn't familiar with all the proper drone/Mavic terminology. So please be kind when reading what will likely be a confusing post.

Anyways, I've seen and fully understand how to use the Mavic to take a series of portrait landscape photos, then stitching them together via Lightroom, Photoshop, etc. But I'm wondering if the Mavic can be configured to take a series of bird's eye view photos and stitch those togther? With the landscape view, I would guess the operator simply pivots the Mavic along the horizon (or a horizon line) to take a series of portrait landscape images. But could the operator manuever the Mavic in such a way that it could take a series of bird's eye view photos that could be stitched together? Since the camera doesn't rotate left to right, could the Mavic be made to roll?

I hope that makes some sense!

Thanks for any input...

I am assuming he means at altitude with the camera pointed straight down.

Hopefully he confirms this.

Perhaps use the pano sphere mode? It takes the photos automatically and stitches them for you. (Although I've yet to get it right without getting overexposed photos)

I think he means stitching them together to make a panorama photo, maybe 180 or more degrees.

Yeah, bird's eye view would be the drone at height looking straight down. When stitching together landscape portrait photos, the camera is pointing forward, toward the horizon. I want to stitch together portrait photos taken looking straight down.

I dunno what is meant by birds eye view. But if you are referring to putting the camera in portrait mode and moving over via yaw alone and then stitching those images together in PS using photomerge panorama... Yes and its actually pretty easy
26172482_10208071101095940_9152322124196586842_o.jpg

Bird's eye view relates to looking straight down. The POV of the photo above is straight out, toward the horizon. I want straight down, right below the drone.

Bird's eye view relates to looking straight down. The POV of the photo above is straight out, toward the horizon. I want straight down, right below the drone.
Yes it will work the same way, as long as you have enough overlap in the images for it align the images.

Yes it will work the same way, as long as you have enough overlap in the images for it align the images.
Cool...
But how do I maneuver the drone to photograph the series of images. When facing the horizon you simply pivot the drone slightly right and/or left. But when in portrait mode the camera would have to "roll" right and left, right?

Roll? So I guess what you want is the bottom half of a photo spere?
Yes, you can do that, manually by taking all the pictures, starting looking horizontally, then rotate the bird and take pictures. After a full circle, lower the camera and repeat. Then point the cam straight down and take 1-3 pictures. In photoshop, or ICE stitch it all together...

You can use DJI Groundstation Pro to automatically take pictures straight down while flying a preprogrammed grid. There are a number of tools to stitch them together. There's a free Microsoft tool (don't know the name, google it), PS can do it too, or upload them to the Maps Made Easy cloud.

You can use DJI Groundstation Pro to automatically take pictures straight down while flying a preprogrammed grid. There are a number of tools to stitch them together. There's a free Microsoft tool (don't know the name, google it), PS can do it too, or upload them to the Maps Made Easy cloud.
Ahh... this makes sense! Thanks!

Is DJI Groundstation Pro compatible with the Mavic? If so, has anyone used it and how is it?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
azod.nem