DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can Overheating Be An Issue?

Rockisy

Reactions
I’m just curious if overheating can become an issue when flying, especially with multiple batteries. I only have one battery, and when I land it, the drone is extremely hot. It seems like if you had 2 or 3 batteries and flew back to back, it would get too hot. Is this a thing? Thanks

You can buy a temperature gun and measure the temps yourself. Go to Walmart or other place that sells them. You should measure the most important part of the drone, the heatsink at the bottom. Look for the hottest spot, and that is your max temperature that you should go by. The internal cooling fan kicks on when the core board temp get to be 110° - 116°, and it will keep the drone cool enough to avoid overheating. If you are flying when the temperature outside is over 100°, keep your temp gun close, and measure before and after the flights. Heat sink temperature should never get above 125° or you risk frying your FC ESC board.

Define "extremely hot". You can check your battery temperature from DJI Go 4 app or flight logs. If you've got an AirData acc, you can upload there and see how fast the temperature is rising.
15°C - 25°C above ambient temperature is the normal for me, even with 3 batteries. It gets hotter if you're flying in sports mode the whole time.

You can buy a temperature gun and measure the temps yourself. Go to Walmart or other place that sells them. You should measure the most important part of the drone, the heatsink at the bottom. Look for the hottest spot, and that is your max temperature that you should go by. The internal cooling fan kicks on when the core board temp get to be 110° - 116°, and it will keep the drone cool enough to avoid overheating. If you are flying when the temperature outside is over 100°, keep your temp gun close, and measure before and after the flights. Heat sink temperature should never get above 125° or you risk frying your FC ESC board.

Ok thanks. I don’t know the exact temp but it seems over 125...

Reactions: Former Member
A few weeks ago I was flying in 95-degree heat. After flying for a while in sport mode I started getting a warning that the battery was overheating, so that can be an issue.

Did your battery puff (swell)?
No, amazingly.

The Mavic was 6,000 feet away when I started getting the warnings. I brought it down lower and took it out of sport mode and brought it back as quickly as I could in normal mode.

I've been keeping a close eye on that battery and have flown with it three or four times since then and it seems to be fine. (Also confirmed by AirData UAV.)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada