DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can someone please explain Remote ID Rules to me

What id like to know is how Remote ID is to be transmitted. That is after all a generic term that's already included in the Mavics.

WiFi was mentioned, but WiFi how?
Not to mention the channels are already crowded, particularly the 2.4Ghz band, that each of us need to use up another channel?

I did read at least the proposed internet connection requirement was dropped.
Far as I know the technical specs were not mentioned. This is why the manufacturer's were given time so they can produce and adopt an industry standard for the the purpose. It may be possible to use some existing technology to accomplish this, or not.

If it turns out a particular drone can't be upgraded through a firmware update, you have a few options:
  • Buy an RID module and fit it.
  • Ground your drone and buy a new one
  • Fly illegally

Let me be a little more specific:
Would this be a firmware update on our existing drones if we are still flying them and have not upgraded to a factory installed remote ID, or would it be added as a physical transponder or something? This is like forcing a car driver to install a speedometer that transmits to the police, or other incriminating evidence.

Dale
Miami
Think of it more as a transponder, something all commercial aircraft must have and many private aircraft use. Not exactly sure about whether or not private aircraft are mandated to have one, but then, they aren't remotely operated either.

grounded?
Hi, It is my belief that if you attach an aftermarket Remote ID module* to each of your older drones you can be compliant.
*none available at this moment, but we have some time for them to appear.
(I'm not a lawyer)

Far as I know the technical specs were not mentioned. This is why the manufacturer's were given time so they can produce and adopt an industry standard for the the purpose. It may be possible to use some existing technology to accomplish this, or not.

If it turns out a particular drone can't be upgraded through a firmware update, you have a few options:
  • Buy an RID module and fit it.
  • Ground your drone and buy a new one
  • Fly illegally
18 months isn't much time for mfrs to agree on a standard, then start producing it. It could get into a beta vs vhs fight.

Reactions: Barbara
My ma2has remote I'd rite now its an option weather you want to turn it on or not I chose not.

Best review of the new RID and other new regulations. Be warned...90 mins and very very very indepth.

Live Q&A tomorrow at 11:30am EST

18 months isn't much time for mfrs to agree on a standard, then start producing it. It could get into a beta vs vhs fight.
Agreed, but I imagine there has been some work going on behind the scenes already. It's not like this was a surprise to the manufacturer's.

We do have about 30 months, as end users, to figure it out, await aftermarket solutions, an comply

I think the RID features of both M2P and MA2 indicate these aircraft are ready to comply. Here's pictures of both, on DJI Go4 and DJI Fly. There are switches on and off, and there are fill-in spaces for user ID and for flight info. It's not clear how these will or may be used. So far that is.
While those settings could get used for DJI's RID implementation, they actually intended for DJI's AeroScope. The intent was to allow pilots to identify themselves. This was announced back in December of 2017.
DJI Introduces Voluntary Flight Identification Options For Drone Pilots said:
Recent updates to the DJI GO 4 app and DJI drone firmware, made available first for the DJI Mavic Pro last week, will allow pilots to choose whether or not to broadcast additional information about their flight operations, if they believe it will be helpful to ease any concerns about their flights. Professional pilots and pilots who fly near sensitive locations may choose to do this routinely.

Once updated, the DJI GO 4 app will display a “remote identification” menu in the main controller settings. This menu gives pilots the option to broadcast their “UUID,” a unique user identification code tied to each pilot’s DJI GO account, and “Identification & Flight Information,” if a pilot chooses to enter information into them. The default setting for both options is to not broadcast them, and these settings can be changed at any time.

I believe that the Mini 2 has RID in the go fly app. Is it fully compatible? Who knows?
As Anotherlab said, right now that pertains to DJI's proprietary Aeroscope.
But likely it could be adapted to FAA RID technical specs by firmware, whenever the technical specs are agreed upon and ratified by FAA.

I suspect RID rules may change a bit, much like the rules to comply with the 2018 FAA Recertification Act had changed over the months.

As Anotherlab said, right now that pertains to DJI's proprietary Aeroscope.
But likely it could be adapted to FAA RID technical specs by firmware, whenever the technical specs are agreed upon and ratified by FAA.

I suspect RID rules may change a bit, much like the rules to comply with the 2018 FAA Recertification Act had changed over the months.
I don't think you will see much for Remote ID settings in the DJI apps. If you are flying a US drone in FAA-controlled airspace when it goes into effect, it's enabled. There won't be able anything to switch on or off to configure. This could change between now and it takes effect, but it's not an app setting, it's the firmware on the drone itself.

Reactions: Barbara
I think the RID features of both M2P and MA2 indicate these aircraft are ready to comply. Here's pictures of both, on DJI Go4 and DJI Fly. There are switches on and off, and there are fill-in spaces for user ID and for flight info. It's not clear how these will or may be used. So far that is.
I am not a must have the latest firmware person but recently noticed a supposedly switch 'on or off able' ID section in the app of one of my drones, European Spec of course, I suspect most likely the MM but I suppose it could have been the M2P. When I tired to switch it off I couldn't. Is it thought likely it is the ID thing of this thread? I'm about to go to bed now, 5:30 am just haven't been sleepy and will check later today to see if I can find it again

I am not a must have the latest firmware person but recently noticed a supposedly switch 'on or off able' ID section in the app of one of my drones, European Spec of course, I suspect most likely the MM but I suppose it could have been the M2P. When I tired to switch it off I couldn't. Is it thought likely it is the ID thing of this thread? I'm about to go to bed now, 5:30 am just haven't been sleepy and will check later today to see if I can find it again
That's to identify yourself for Aeroscope. No connection to the FAA RID requirement.

So...Whats the word on retro fitting a MP with this RID transmitter ruling? Also, found a Swiss company that will sell you one now for 1950$. Hello, my MP was $750.... What were they thinking? Seems like the senario of the ATF when they flip flopped for iver 2 years on the pistol brace question and they asked for suggestions from the public. Then 40,000 + responded from real people with issues about banning it and the ATF dropped the thoughtless reg. Maybe a group could do the same about this RID issue.

So...Whats the word on retro fitting a MP with this RID transmitter ruling? Also, found a Swiss company that will sell you one now for 1950$. Hello, my MP was $750.... What were they thinking? Seems like the senario of the ATF when they flip flopped for iver 2 years on the pistol brace question and they asked for suggestions from the public. Then 40,000 + responded from real people with issues about banning it and the ATF dropped the thoughtless reg. Maybe a group could do the same about this RID issue.
The FAA has done a cost analysis and the range for a broadcast module is $20-$50. The exact specifications aren't even out yet so this Swiss company is looking for panic buyers (suckers) and there are no certified modules as of yet. The RID ruling does not go into effect until 9/16/23 so you still have a couple of years before you even have to worry about it.

Reactions: andrew reeves
FAA is not associated, at all, with the ATF. Two completely ball games in different leagues. The transponders will be available (hopefully) at the appropriate time prior to implementation. Absolutely no one expects the cost of the transponder to be on par with what is installed in manned aircraft. The best we can do, at present, is merely await competition to produce a miniature package at a lower cost than competitors to enhance a market challenge between vendors.

Reactions: Thomas B
The FAA has done a cost analysis and the range for a broadcast module is $20-$50. The exact specifications aren't even out yet so this Swiss company is looking for panic buyers (suckers) and there are no certified modules as of yet. The RID ruling does not go into effect until 9/16/23 so you still have a couple of years before you even have to worry about it.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143