DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can the air tilt the horizon line of the camera? Also question about Air vs. Pro (1)

Clare_G101

Reactions
I'm not sure how to correctly word it, but like, on my mavic pro, I can tilt the horizon line of the camera, can I do that with the air?

I was thinking of switch from the pro to the air for the portability, and possibly selling my mavic pro. I've had the pro for 2 years, and although it is more compact than the phantoms, I like how small the air is. Would you say it's a downgrade? Or are they about the same on image quality?

if you mean rotating camera by 90 degrees for portrait shooting, then no.

Mavic Air is pretty much on par with Pro1 when it comes to image quality and better on video recording (bigger variety of framerates/resolutions and up to 100 Mbps bitrate compared to 60Mbps on Mavic Pro). Air has the same camera sensor like Mavic 2 Zoom (doesn't mean that it performs exactly the same..M2Z has different lens). This is what I made yesterday from my Air footage (awful youtube compression included).

No portrait mode indeed but on the other hand the Air does not have the dreaded MP horizon tilt when yawing and turning.

No portrait mode indeed but on the other hand the Air does not have the dreaded MP horizon tilt when yawing and turning.
Okay thanks! Yea, sometimes it would get annoying and then I wouldn't know when it's straight again, haha.
So for clarification, what does 3 axis mean when talking about rotating camera?

Okay thanks! Yea, sometimes it would get annoying and then I wouldn't know when it's straight again, haha.
So for clarification, what does 3 axis mean when talking about rotating camera?
3 axis is up/down, left/right or yaw and roll.

This doesn't tell us anything.

How are you doing it? If people know that then they'll be able to tell you if the same method exists on the air...
did you see the photo? I added it later.
I can't remember exactly, I haven't flown in a while (I didn't really use it as it was annoying, but it would happen by accident). I believe it was on one of the (left or right) dials. Like one would tilt the camera up and down, and one would tilt the horizon, even if the drone was parallel to the ground

Yes the photo shows a tilted horizon, we know that.

The camera tilt can still be compenseated in the menu. FPV mode can also be used for horizon tilt. Same as the MP. The "shortcut" on the remote may not be there anymore though.

Reactions: Clare_G101
Yes the photo shows a tilted horizon, we know that.

The camera tilt can still be compenseated in the menu. FPV mode can also be used for horizon tilt. Same as the MP. The "shortcut" on the remote may not be there anymore though.

Okay, thank you!

Lemme try and find a photo

Do u mean to ‘adjust’ to balance the horizon ?

If yes, answer is yes you can.
You can do it in the menu while flying,
Or u can do it in post.

There is also a option to calibrate ur gimbal back to ‘balance’ horizon.

It sounds like you're referring to the resetting of the gimbal when it's no longer horizontal ? Again that doesn't happen on the Air in my experience, unlike on the MP where it happens temporarily (or longer if the gimbal has issues) each time you yaw or turn. There is a setting to straighten the horizon if need be but it's not going to be necessary normally, same as on the Spark.

It sounds like you're referring to the resetting of the gimbal when it's no longer horizontal ? Again that doesn't happen on the Air in my experience, unlike on the MP where it happens temporarily (or longer if the gimbal has issues) each time you yaw or turn. There is a setting to straighten the horizon if need be but it's not going to be necessary normally, same as on the Spark.
Thanks! Also, is there a way to adjust speed of yaw, pitch, and roll like on the MP?

Yes there's a wheel to control the camera. There's no ISO wheel unfortunately though on the AIR's RC.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851