Welcome Mavic Pilot!
Jump in and join our free DJI Mavic community today!

Can we carry a drone in the cabin luggage?

HawkDriver

Reaction score
Loc
Huntsville, AL
A bit of planning.
You can start up with each battery and set for 1 day discharge for example a day or two before leaving town . . . of course this only takes level down to ~ half, but I’ve never been asked what the levels are in mine (4) when travelling.

Another way, many people drain batteries is to have made a little battery draining tool like a light, numerous posts on the forum about that.
If you have the Fly More Kit, it (may) have come with the little clip-on accessory that turns it into a USB powerbank. You could use it to juice up your phone or other items.

Reactions: MAvic_South_Oz

AMann

Reaction score
Loc
Southern CA
True story a few years ago: My brother-in-law is a professional videographer and was wearing a home built NiCad battery belt pack that he was caring on the plane. Well it started shorting out on him right before he got to the gate, and there he was panicking while trying to pull off a sputtering, smoking belt he was wearing! Even for all the acid smelling smoke and panic, he said nobody said a thing to him the entire time. He pulled off the good batteries and threw away the rest of the belt and calmly walked onto the plane.

It was really not safe of him to not put fuses on it, he would’ve been shot had something like that happened today.

Last edited:

Meta4

Reaction score
Question: How do you personally drain your batteries other than simply flying the drone?
It's completely unnecessary to discharge your batteries before flying.
Here's a little background to this common forum myth.
It seems to come from some poor documentation by DJI.

According to their Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines ...
Travel Notice
1. Before carrying the batteries on an airline flight, they must first be discharged to a battery level lower than 30%

Extensive searching doesn't show any airline in the world asking for this.
The only place I find any mention of it is in the IATA's guidance document for shipping lithium batteries as air cargo:
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is the international body that supports aviation with global standards for airline safety, security, efficiency and sustainability.

All airline lithium battery policies are based on the IATA standards.
And the IATA's guidelines for Passengers Traveling With Lithium Batteries:
.... makes absolutely no mention of discharging batteries before traveling by plane.

The fact is that no airline recommends discharging before flight.
Neither do the FAA, CAA, or other air safety authorities.
It's only in forums like this that the myth gets spread.

If it was a thing, you would see the safety scanners at the airport checking every laptop, mobile phone, camera, iPad etc to make sure their lithium batteries were discharged (and you don't)
But you do see planes with power outlets to keep your devices charged on long flights!!

ps .. no airline suggests Lipo bags either and no airport security checkin people are looking for battery charge levels or Lipo bags either.
It's all a forum myth.

Last edited:

srwyss

Reaction score
Earlier this year I approached Qantas Dangerous Goods and received this reply

"No dangerous goods approval is required for the battery as it is no more than 100wh.
When the battery is contained in the drone it is permitted in checked or carry-on baggage provided the drone is turned off.
All spare batteries must go in carry-on baggage only.
You are welcome to use this email as verification the items are permitted to travel."

I asked about a Mavic Pro and 2 spare batteries

Cheers
Steve

Mavic Maveric

Reaction score
It's completely unnecessary to discharge your batteries before flying.
Here's a little background to this common forum myth.
It seems to come from some poor documentation by DJI.

According to their Intelligent Flight Battery Safety Guidelines ...
Travel Notice
1. Before carrying the batteries on an airline flight, they must first be discharged to a battery level lower than 30%

Extensive searching doesn't show any airline in the world asking for this.
The only place I find any mention of it is in the IATA's guidance document for shipping lithium batteries as air cargo:
The International Air Transport Association (IATA) is the international body that supports aviation with global standards for airline safety, security, efficiency and sustainability.

All airline lithium battery policies are based on the IATA standards.
And the IATA's guidelines for Passengers Traveling With Lithium Batteries:
.... makes absolutely no mention of discharging batteries before traveling by plane.

The fact is that no airline recommends discharging before flight.
Neither do the FAA, CAA, or other air safety authorities.
It's only in forums like this that the myth gets spread.

If it was a thing, you would see the safety scanners at the airport checking every laptop, mobile phone, camera, iPad etc to make sure their lithium batteries were discharged (and you don't)
But you do see planes with power outlets to keep your devices charged on long flights!!

ps .. no airline suggests Lipo bags either and no airport security checkin people are looking for battery charge levels or Lipo bags either.
It's all a forum myth.
Excellent. Thanks for this well thought out and researched information. I will keep this for future use!

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kolander