DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you film straight down?

ok, i can understand that, but why exactly on the shadow? And why not when i turn to the left or right? if is a lens with a problem, i think to have this white point everywhere, in all directions, am i right? I repeat, the sun is behind, so, no reflection in the lens
As already explained it’s a Brocken spectre, you need the sun behind you and a surface to reflect on, I’m getting the same with the sun low on the horizon, lots of nice pictures on google

Attachments

• AC24C2F7-98F6-44BE-BABB-2A1D51ED5CAE.jpeg
    AC24C2F7-98F6-44BE-BABB-2A1D51ED5CAE.jpeg
    162.2 KB · Views: 14
Reactions: WooZie and slup
As already explained it’s a Brocken spectre, you need the sun behind you and a surface to reflect on, I’m getting the same with the sun low on the horizon, lots of nice pictures on google
Fantastic ... never heard of that before, great with new knowledge :D

Reactions: WooZie
Thank you my friend, even there is no mist could be possible that effect?

I've seen this "white spot" where the shadow of the drone is. Very noticable when flying over sand, snow and other partially reflective material. It's similar to a brocken spectre, but instead of water droplets reflecting the sun it is dust/sand/grass etc. Noticed it with several drones, and definitely not a lens defect

Thank you my friend, even there is no mist could be possible that effect?
@WooZie hi my friend i see you are still worrying about stuff ,relax my friend what you see is a ghost image of your drone there is absolutely nothing wrong with your camera as you start off you see the shadow of your drone on the ground then as you start to get higher, the shadow slowly fades into the ghost shadow it is just something that can happen in bright sunshine

Back to the original thread topic, yes, my gimbal jumps back to 70-80deg from looking straight down after braking from full speed or accelerating backwards. It is most pronounced in S mode, where the drone can tilt backwards up to 30deg from horizontal, but the gimbal can only pan down to -110deg, leaving you 10 deg short on gimbal travel to maintain a straight down view. Curiously the gimbal will jump back from straight down when flying in P mode too even though there is theoretically enough spare travel available in the gimbal (drone tilts max 20deg from horizontal). With .300 firmware the gimbal seems to maintain a straight down view in C mode from the little testing I've done so far.

Hi Omm, i am not too worried like the first time :))) but today i saw that white spot, just i asked, i am not a professional photographer, just an amator, there is not a great landscape to film, but it was the first flight with my new little friend :))) and i tested it very hard, if you see the log.....you would tell me i am not normal :)))

Reactions: old man mavic
Back to the original thread topic, yes, my gimbal jumps back to 70-80deg from looking straight down after braking from full speed or accelerating backwards. It is most pronounced in S mode, where the drone can tilt backwards up to 30deg from horizontal, but the gimbal can only pan down to -110deg, leaving you 10 deg short on gimbal travel to maintain a straight down view. Curiously the gimbal will jump back from straight down when flying in P mode too even though there is theoretically enough spare travel available in the gimbal (drone tilts max 20deg from horizontal). With .300 firmware the gimbal seems to maintain a straight down view in C mode from the little testing I've done so far.
i would think that C mode would be better as it slows everything down when you are trying to get smooth video and you can adjust the gimbal speed in the app

Hi Omm, i am not too worried like the first time :))) but today i saw that white spot, just i asked, i am not a professional photographer, just an amator, there is not a great landscape to film, but it was the first flight with my new little friend :))) and i tested it very hard, if you see the log.....you would tell me i am not normal :)))
none of us are normal are we ,thats why we fly drones , well thats what a lot of people think, i am no photographer myself ,and have never professed to be one ,everything i film is for my pleasure, i dont post stuff or do editing,i do post the odd pic on this forum but thats my lot, just try to relax and enjoy your new found hobby it will get easier the more you do it

Reactions: dirkclod and WooZie
For me it seems to happen in all modes and doesn’t matter if movements are severe. I seem to get it to reoccur the fastest in p mode with a very small amount of forward stick. I think it’s a bug on all Mavic Minis...

it is only where the shadow is, practically replace the shadow....could be a reflection of the sun? Like a mirror? On the lens is nothing, the drone is new, was replaced if you remember at that crash one month ago

ha that explains it, it might be a ghost of the old Mavic Mini chasing the new mini ;) Try to clean the lens with lense pen or some alcohol pads.

i think is a optical phenomenon called "Espectro de Broken" in english Brocken spectre. its tipical with mist and the sun behind

You are exactly right, it is Brocken Specter. There is nothing wrong with the bird or camera. The only way to avoid this is to fly at night or don’t film your shadow. Airplanes cast the same thing.

Yes, there’s absolutely nothing you can do about it (other than shoot at a different angle).

Its physics - the same thing happens without a camera and can be seen by your eyeballs if you were looking out a plane window!

Us commercial guys have been aware of the phenomenon for a long time and just avoid using footage where the sun is immediately behind the UAV/camera.

At a push, it CAN be taken out in post but it is a pita to do and involves using Temporal motion/Motion compensation techniques from pre and post frames from the target frame.

It only seems "strange" because humans are not normally far enough away from the ground for the effect to appear. Shadows from sunlight are not diffuse enough at just a few meters and mask it. Climb a mountain, go in an aeroplane or.. hoho.. use the camera on a drone and you have a much higher chance of seeing the Seeliger effect.

What do birds think of it?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
drxenon