DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you have too many drones?

GeeBee

Reactions
As usual, I have gone overboard with my hobby. I now have a P3P, a Mavic Pro, and a Spark. Now this (my better half tells me) is ridiculous. I have to agree, it is a bit obsessive. So, which two to keep? I am thinking maybe the Spark for general mucking around, then one of the others. But which one? I like the portability of the Mavic, but I also like the stability of the P3P. Pose value gives the P3P a slight edge - they are an attention grabbing machine. I can’t tell the difference in photo and video quality with the stuff I take. I’ll also post this on the Phantompilots site. It will be interesting to compare results.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Reactions: charliesRig
I’d dump the MP and the Spark and take your wife out to a nice dinner. It seems the P3P does all you need and you like it’s stability. But if you do that you would not be able to say you have three UAVs. You can only fly one at a time. :rolleyes:

As usual, I have gone overboard with my hobby. I now have a P3P, a Mavic Pro, and a Spark. Now this (my better half tells me) is ridiculous. I have to agree, it is a bit obsessive. So, which two to keep? I am thinking maybe the Spark for general mucking around, then one of the others. But which one? I like the portability of the Mavic, but I also like the stability of the P3P. Pose value gives the P3P a slight edge - they are an attention grabbing machine. I can’t tell the difference in photo and video quality with the stuff I take. I’ll also post this on the Phantompilots site. It will be interesting to compare results.

You definitely have to get a Tello too...
for bad weather/indoors

Interesting conundrum...

I currently own just one drone, the MP2. And I've tried my best to rationalize the need for another. I've thought about buying a used Mavic Air because I want to learn how to do some "fly throughs" and thought a smaller drone would be better. But then I ask myself, "Do I want to spend $600+ on a drone for the single, specific purpose of flying in tight areas?" Then, with thumb and forefinger on chin, I ponder if I should get a cheap used Spark. But that's only 1080p and a two-axis gimbal, so I worry about video quality.

After my few brain cells process this, I come to the conclusion the MP2 would suffice just fine when flying in close quarters. But THEN I worry that by flying in close quarters the risk of crashing and damage increase substantially. Whereas a crashed cheap Spark or even semi- cheap Mavic Air would not be as big a financial loss.

So then the circular head game starts all over again.

Reactions: NAVMAV
I'm really starting to like the smaller capable drones better. Got rid of my big Inspires and Phantoms. Even the Mavic 2 is starting to seem a bit large to me now :) But it is one of the best if not the best drone out there. I'm really liking the Spark and Mavic Air too. I think that type of small size with all the bells and whistles of Mav 2 and I2's would be it!

Keep the Mavic Pro and Spark. The Phantom 3 is old equipment and accessories will be hard to find at some point. Also not as portable as the others.

Reactions: charliesRig
As many as you can afford is the right ammount of Drones to Have

This is a great thread.!
GeeBee
before I tell you how many Drones I have you'll have to Define "Drones"

You call this Collection of drones as "Hobbie"...Is It.?.....or Passion.?
There is no life without passion.!
Enbrace your Passion The good and the bad
BTW My number is 4
......cR

Reactions: old man mavic
So, it isn’t only me, eh? I shall ponder further and not make any rash decisions that I may regret later. But a small indoor job looks interesting..........

I started with a Mavic Pro, then got into the little racing drones for indoor combat for fun. Now that is a kick in the butt. Then I bought a Tello and it's OK I guess but not one of my better purchases IMO. Wasn't long before I got a larger FPV racing drone. Being I had to buy a transmitter for the racers, I ended up in the fixed wing crowd and have several planes. The MP is used more for photography than just flying.

I’m not sure the answer to this myself. I have my original Q5004K+, Phantom 3pro, Phantom 4Pro, Inspire 1 V2, Spark, Mavic Pro, and my newest addition, Mavic 2 Pro.
Having all these drones isn’t the problem, it’s maintaining all the batteries for them for me.
I’m probably going to give the Phantom 3 to friend low on funds, sell the Spark and maybe the Mp1.
I started a thread wondering what other MP2 owners did with their old Mavics. Seems like most kept theirs.
So to answer the question, in my opinion, whatever you can afford to keep without sacrificing your priorities with family life.
Everyone will have their own priorities and in different order

I'm not one for selling every unused item of stuff around the house like some eBayers
"Assorted washers, unsed, some rust. 10 cents each".
But I have the most Drones I can afford, and that's one M1P, so I don't like to hear about them
gathering dust.
A MV2 would be nice, but for reasons I wont go into, M1P is still the King.

Cant comment on racing drones.
Is it wrong that a mushroom sticking out the side of the goggles puts me
off striaght away?

it does not matter how many you have as long as you enjoy them, i started off with cheap drones and worked my way up to the PH3S and then the MPP, i still have all my drones in my man cave, and i use the older ones to help others get into the hobby, and if they are really interested then i would offer to sell them the drone for pennies for what i paid ,some of my batteries are over 2 years old and still function as required ,we are all different and have a different approach to the hobby, just go fly and enjoy

There is a long winded joke with the punchline "If it flys, floats or fornicates it is cheaper renting by the hour" So get rid of the lot and rent.... (that includes the current female partner :) )

Seriously as you have purchased the 3 different drones I would tell the other half you won't buy any more but it is silly to sell them as you will not get back the money youy paid out. Also it will make you less happy (she knows you are appalling to live with when you are in a mood) . So don't buy any more, keep the ones you have (drones and wife) and take her out to a nice dinner. It works for me.......

Until the next "must have" drone (or wife) turns up....

Keep all three...different purposes.
I know a guy who has 15 drones...now that is excessive.

No such thing as too much of something you enjoy but there is the fact we can only fly one at a time.

I've got Mavic 2, Mavic Pro, Spark, Phantom 3, Airdog, GS350 and two more.
Going to sell all but the Mavic 2 and Spark - anyone need a drone?

Sell the lot while they are worth something, and buy Mavic 2.
That’s exactly what I did. Like MichiganMavic said the battery maintenance is the biggest pain. I have a bunch of different airplanes that fly vastly different from each other and require different batteries.

I don’t want to add yet even more batteries to several different drones that have the same flight characteristics.

I now have the MP2 for pics/video and a sport quad for just pure flying fun.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjauuu