DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can you output smartphone camera output to fpv goggles

lukas123

Reactions
Hello. I am working on a project where we need to output a high resolution video from the external camera to the FPV or video goggles. We are looking for a goggles that support HDMI in so we can plug a camera using wired connection and get the video. The best goggles I have found are the Fatshark HDO2. Can someone who have Fatshark HDO2 confirm whether they support HDMI input from external camera? Are there any better goggles out there money can buy in terms of video quality (resolution) ?

Keep in mind that the application is not for drone flying! Long range is not needed hence we consider wired option.

We are mainly considering 2 options:

1. Use an external hdmi camera to send video to the goggles. One of the options would be this camera:
I believe this supports hdmi output so should work with goggles that support hdmi IN. Are there any other good cameras with hdmi out?

2. Use a smartphone instead of external camera. Is it possible to connect smartphone to the goggles such as fatshark hdo2 and see the video that a smartphone camera is seeing on a goggles?

You cannot get a high resolution image or video on the phone or tablet. The data from the drone to the controller and on to the device is low resolution. The only full res data is stored on the SD card, and is not available until the SD card itself is used for supplying data.

You cannot get a high resolution image or video on the phone or tablet. The data from the drone to the controller and on to the device is low resolution. The only full res data is stored on the SD card, and is not available until the SD card itself is used for supplying data.
Keep in mind that there are no drones/radios involved in this project. I just want to send video from the camera to my goggles.

I've not used these devices but had a look at the specifications.

1 - In theory it should work since the camera outputs hdmi and the goggles support an hdmi input but hdmi can be a bit fussy so there's no guarantee it would work, there is a warning in the manual that if the hdmi doesn't work to change cable or source.

2 - There are adapters available for Apple and Android devices that allow them to output HDMI so in theory they could work but again no gurantee

The original white DJI Goggles or the black RE version have HDMI inputs and a way better display than common FPV goggles.
Looking at the specs the resolution is a lot better with the DJI Goggles and when the screen is right in front of your face that makes a big difference and also will likely be a lot easier to get feedback on how well phones can output HDMI to the goggles.

I just had a look at those DJI goggles and that looks like one of the options. The only issue I see with them is that they are very big and bulky compared to fatsharks for example.

Also, what about the DJI FPV goggles. Do they also support HDMI input?

Unfortunately, the DJI goggles wont work in my application because they are way too big and bulky. Maybe if I remove all the unnecessary electronics (since I do not need wireless and other things, just hdmi input) . Also, I do not understand why they have this big plastic circle which goes arround the head? Does it hold some electronics or just for ergonomics?

Last edited:
Also, I do not understand why they have this big plastic circle which goes arround the head? Does it hold some electronics or just for ergonomics?
Well it's for holding the goggles, and it also houses the battery and a pair of antennas.

There isn't anything you can remove to make the main part smaller.

Last edited:
I can get away without battery, for my application, I could get away with the goggles being powered from the mains constantly. And obviously I dont need any antennas since I do not use wireless

Also, I have one more question. For example this camera module :

If I use USB -> HDMI adapter, will I be able to get this camera module to work with goggles that support HDMI input?
No, USB and HDMI are completely different standards and USB to HDMI adapters will only work on PCs, phones etc. which support that type of driver or some specific devices which can support such an adapter. A very basic camera like you've linked to won't have support for HDMI so you'd need a PC or similar to capture the video signal over USB then output it over HDMI to get HDMI output from a camera like that.

I don't believe the DJI Goggles support wireless.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS