DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada Advanced Drone FLIGHT REVIEW

Yes and it is not an easy test to pass so I hear any how
I think for most people who just buy a drone at Best Buy and expect to write it the next day need to know it's not easy. But if you were someone who was flying before all the regs and had to fill out SFOCs and all that jazz before, then it's not that bad..the flying part is the least of your worries as most of us know how to fly a drone. This is more about making sure the person that did the advanced online test is verified as the person with the knowledge in my opinion.

I just have my small basic I started with a small holystone to learn to fly with and than I bought a phantom 3 4k and that's when they made it law to be certified and have our drone registered in Canada.

I just have my small basic I started with a small holystone to learn to fly with and than I bought a phantom 3 4k and that's when they made it law to be certified and have our drone registered in Canada.
Yeah. Depending where you live it could be totally worth doing the advanced one. I'm totally shocked once passing it the freedom you get...and by that I mean areas to use the sky that are pretty high traffic that I wouldn't even want to be in... some required me to call into the tower before and after the flight...communicating with some of the air traffic guys in some big international towers has been eye opening....they just assume your another plane in the sky :)

Sounds interesting' I live in the country so I don't have to worry too much about airports we do have a public park but that's about 5 km from me. And a heliport in Amherst ns and that is about 30 km from me' so I have pretty much got uncontrolled air space here for sure.

I am a Flight Reviewer and have done a number of flight reviews. Transport Canada does not provide a standard form or format for the flight review at this time. Attached is a form that I have used. I send this to the person who will be reviewed in advance so they know what documents they will have to have with them and some idea of what questions they will be asked.

I would not do a flight review without a flight to ensure that the person is competent in the operation of the RPAS.

If the person passes the flight review I take their TC account number and pilot certificate number (PC #) and enter those in the flight review section of my TC account. There are a number of tasks that I have to check off that the candidate successfully completed and then I have to indicate that the candidate passed the overall flight review. The person then gets an email from TC advising that they can print their advanced pilot certificate.

Some were confused after they passed the Advanced Exam when they could only see or print the basic certificate. Once your flight review is logged you can access the advanced license. "Appendix A - Guide to the Flight Review" - RPAS on the TC site has pretty much all of the information on a flight review.

I have a question about a pending Flight Review I'm about to do with a Mavic 2 Pro. Your input would be greatly appreciated: I understand that there is a "Manual" operation required, and this would be achieved by putting the RPAS into ATTI or Attitude mode. However, there is also a CAR rule that says the aircraft may not be modified in any way that would alter the design approved by Transport Canada for safety. This appears to be a classic Catch-22. If I do the mod that allows ATTI mode on a Mavic, I alter the aircraft in a way that takes it off the Approved list! Help!!

I have a question about a pending Flight Review I'm about to do with a Mavic 2 Pro. Your input would be greatly appreciated: I understand that there is a "Manual" operation required, and this would be achieved by putting the RPAS into ATTI or Attitude mode. However, there is also a CAR rule that says the aircraft may not be modified in any way that would alter the design approved by Transport Canada for safety. This appears to be a classic Catch-22. If I do the mod that allows ATTI mode on a Mavic, I alter the aircraft in a way that takes it off the Approved list! Help!!

I have done a number of flight reviews and putting the RPAS into ATTI mode is not a requirement to successfully complete a flight review. My interpretation is that by manual operation, they mean that the pilot is flying the RPAS, and controlling its speed, descent, and heading and not using a pre-programmed flight that would allow the RPAS to fly hands off.

As part of the flight review I have the candidate fly in a circle around an object. Many of the DJI RPAS will allow you to select a mode where the RPAS would automatically circle an item and this would not be "manual operation"in my opinion.

As long as at the end of the flight review the reviewer is satisfied that you have the knowledge required, and are a competent pilot, there should not be an issue in passing the review. The reviewer just logs onto the Transport Canada site with your and their pilot information and they certify that you successfully passed the flight review. They do not have to go into any details related to the mode of flight or anything along those lines.

I have done a number of flight reviews and putting the RPAS into ATTI mode is not a requirement to successfully complete a flight review. My interpretation is that by manual operation, they mean that the pilot is flying the RPAS, and controlling its speed, descent, and heading and not using a pre-programmed flight that would allow the RPAS to fly hands off.

As part of the flight review I have the candidate fly in a circle around an object. Many of the DJI RPAS will allow you to select a mode where the RPAS would automatically circle an item and this would not be "manual operation"in my opinion.

As long as at the end of the flight review the reviewer is satisfied that you have the knowledge required, and are a competent pilot, there should not be an issue in passing the review. The reviewer just logs onto the Transport Canada site with your and their pilot information and they certify that you successfully passed the flight review. They do not have to go into any details related to the mode of flight or anything along those lines.
I’ve been seeking an answer to this question for a couple of weeks. (I should have considered this forum a whole lot earlier) I’m really appreciative of your thoughtful answer. Makes a world of sense. Thanks!

Costal Drone has a nice prep course and for 250 they include the cost of the flight exam....i liked it allot...my flight examiner was amazing and knew his stuff, i did it in Brampton.
also for only 50 extra costal drone has a good course to prep you on making you SOP's and checklists...well worth it!
the advanced exam from TC was so hard!

Finished my flight review today and passed. We did it in phases because of Covid so last week we reviewed documents and he grilled me on a lot of the regulations. It was more technical in nature than I expected but I knew exactly where I was weak. Today we did the in-person part and as I expected, he went over those same areas on site again. Thankfully I was ready for that. I have no idea if my experience was more rigorous than normal but my best advice is anyone doing the flight review better be prepared. I'd say I prepared as much or more for the flight review than the advanced exam and I have a feeling I barely passed.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
calezu