DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

CANADA: first responder flights in controlled airspace

Reactions
Can anyone steer me in the right direction: I have an advanced operations certificate in Canada and routinely get clearance to fly in controlled airspace. This process is approved in anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of days.

Am looking into collaborating with first responders - Does anyone know what is the process for working with emergency responders in controlled airspace? Since nearly every little town in Canada has an airport, practically all have controlled airspace. I have a drone equipped with ADS-B (Airsense)... Is a NavCanada clearance required in all instances? Or will a standing SFOC be needed?

Hi FP. Check this link and go to the RPAS section.
You should find any information you need in this document.

You can also go to the Transport Canada website and check there for information.
As a private pilot, I can tell you that most small airports in Canada do not have controlled airspace, just a control zone around the airport. Two very different beasts. Information on this can also be found on the TC website.
Happy Easter & fun flying
Denis

Reactions: CarlsbadAL
Thanks @CarlsbadAL... Yes you are indeed correct... The area around the airports in most of these smaller town/cities are Class D/E control zones. However, NavCanada still requires we get clearance to fly them (advanced operations with a >250g drone). My question is if there is any way around this process - in the case of working with emergency responders. For example> if one was to apply for several SFOC's so as to qualify for standing SFOC... would this negate the need to apply for clearance from NavCanada in one of these control zones?

Sorry if the question is stupid. Feel free to treat me like a dummy.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adsjr