DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada flying permit (tourists)

Reactions
Hello

I'll be traveling to Canada in a few weeks. About 2 weeks ago I submitted my application to fly in Canada as a tourist, this form is in there website. I submitted via email, still no one has responded to me. I know as a Canadian the new law requires that you take an exam and pay the a registration fee, this option is not available for non Canadians. I know the law is new, but if anyone has any experience with this let me know because I would love to bring my Mavic

Hello

I'll be traveling to Canada in a few weeks. About 2 weeks ago I submitted my application to fly in Canada as a tourist, this form is in there website. I submitted via email, still no one has responded to me. I know as a Canadian the new law requires that you take an exam and pay the a registration fee, this option is not available for non Canadians. I know the law is new, but if anyone has any experience with this let me know because I would love to bring my Mavic
You might want to change your title to something like Tourist permit in Canada or something. It sounds like you are asking about flying in the US.

Just a heads up

Reactions: KhrizJustTravels
I might be traveling to Canada later this year. Please update us if you are successful in getting the SFOC permit.

Hi. Flying in Canada as a tourist, you would be needing to fly outside the rules that Canadians have to adhere to and that requires permission, specifically, an SFOC (special flight operating certificate) In it's application, you must show that you have the same level of knowledge in your own country that would be required if you were a Canadian flying here...and this is a link to transport Canada's knowledge requirements. Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Also, here is a link to the page outlining the process...at the bottom of which is the following:

Foreign operators

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research). You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

The link is Get permission to fly your drone outside the rules - Transport Canada

Hope this helps.

Hi. Flying in Canada as a tourist, you would be needing to fly outside the rules that Canadians have to adhere to and that requires permission, specifically, an SFOC (special flight operating certificate) In it's application, you must show that you have the same level of knowledge in your own country that would be required if you were a Canadian flying here...and this is a link to transport Canada's knowledge requirements. Knowledge Requirements for Pilots of Remotely Piloted Aircraft Systems 250 g up to and including 25 kg, Operating within Visual Line-of-Sight (VLOS) (TP 15263) - Transport Canada

Also, here is a link to the page outlining the process...at the bottom of which is the following:

Foreign operators

If you are a foreign operator (that is, you are not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or a corporation incorporated by or under federal or provincial and you want to fly in Canadian airspace), you must have an approved SFOC to fly a drone for any purpose (recreational, work or research). You must already be allowed to use the drone for the same purpose in your home country. Include your country’s approval or authorization with your application for the SFOC.

The link is Get permission to fly your drone outside the rules - Transport Canada

Hope this helps.

Thank you, I did apply for this authorization and provided my USA registration information all via email. This was about 3 weeks and I haven't heard anything yet. Hopefully I hear something soon. I'll keep everyone posted!

Transport Canada just announced they have "temporarily" suspended issuing SFOC's to foreigners for recreational flying in Canada until Jan 2021 at which time they will review the policy.

So, unless you have a Mavic Mini, don't bother to bring your drone to Canada for any rec flying.

Transport Canada just announced they have "temporarily" suspended issuing SFOC's to foreigners for recreational flying in Canada until Jan 2021 at which time they will review the policy.

So, unless you have a Mavic Mini, don't bother to bring your drone to Canada for any rec flying.
I tell you...it's that darned Corona Virus...

Reactions: ThorDar

What a load of bureaucratic tosh! I have relatives in Canada but won't be booking any visits to Canada any time soon if that's their ultra restrictive attitude to tourists flying drones, even when covid-19 is over. Sounds like they're as paranoid to new technology as Cuba. BTW I informed the operatives manning the Cuban dive stand at the UK Dive Show last October that their government's paranoid attitude banning tourists flying drones there was also misguided since American spy satellites can read car number plates from orbit, providing far more information than any tourist's drone! Needless to say no more dive visits to Cuba either unless they repeal their restrictions also.

What a load of bureaucratic tosh! I have relatives in Canada but won't be booking any visits to Canada any time soon if that's their ultra restrictive attitude to tourists flying drones, even when covid-19 is over. Sounds like they're as paranoid to new technology as Cuba. BTW I informed the operatives manning the Cuban dive stand at the UK Dive Show last October that their government's paranoid attitude banning tourists flying drones there was also misguided since American spy satellites can read car number plates from orbit, providing far more information than any tourist's drone! Needless to say no more dive visits to Cuba either unless they repeal their restrictions also.
Perhaps our government looked at the discrepancies between different countries laws and our own and decided to take a proactive rather than a reactive course of action.Will be interesting to see.

We will miss you

Last edited:
Thumbswayup Thanks for your offer to help keep Canada's airspace free of irresponsible operators!

Reactions: Thanev and cmurr
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada