DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canada - Mini 2 Flipping Between Micro and Small RPAS Rules?

rbn

Reactions
I just got a Mini 2 (my first venture into this hobby) and am waiting for the weather to line up so I can get it up in the air. While not necessary given its weight, I got my basic licence anyway as I wanted to familiarize myself with the rules so I figured there was no harm in taking the test after reading through all of that material. My question relates to registering the drone itself - just want to make sure it’s possible to flip back and forth between the micro and small RPAS rules depending on takeoff weight and that it’s not locked into the latter once it’s registered with Transport Canada? If so, how do you handle keeping logs - do you just leave the micro flights out or log everything? Right now I don’t have anything that could put it over the threshold so there’s no hurry, but if there’s no downside to registering it other than the $5 I’m inclined to just do it to get all the paperwork done while everything is still fresh in my mind.

I don’t see anything in the rules prohibiting that, but they’re written assuming the two classes are discrete entities so wanted to see if anyone else had more clarity on the subject.

There is no knowledge requirement for registering a drone. So don't worry about it all being fresh in your mind for that purpose.

The mini is actually about a gram lighter than the mini (248 vs 249).

If your takeoff weight (mass, really) is under 250g, you are subject to 900.06 and registration status would be irrelevant.

If your takeoff weight is 250g or greater, you are subject to all of Part IX.

So, here's where it might get sticky... The 248g is without a memory card. Add that and you might be at 249. Add a sticker with registration info and you might hit 250g and will always (legally-speaking) have to fly under all of the Part IX rules. Obviously, flying with the prop guards will put you over the limit, too.

The minis are not certified for flying near people or within controlled airspace, so you would never be (legally) able to fly it within 30 metres of people or 5.8km of class C airspace, even with an Advanced certificate.

My advice - take it or not - enjoy the mini2 as a sub-250. Everything you learn about actually flying with the Mini 2 will apply when you get something that needs to be registered.

Last edited:
Mini lighter than itself? [emoji3]

Many have reported MM2 weighed 238g.
I'm pretty sure the specd weights include the SD card. The MM1 weighs in at about 249g and if that didn't include the card, then it would be over the weight it was designed and marketed to fly for legal purposes.

There is no knowledge requirement for registering a drone. So don't worry about it all being fresh in your mind for that purpose.

The mini is actually about a gram lighter than the mini (248 vs 249).

If your takeoff weight (mass, really) is under 250g, you are subject to 900.06 and registration status would be irrelevant.

If your takeoff weight is 250g or greater, you are subject to all of Part IX.

Had forgotten that I’d posted this. I ended up contacting Transport Canada about some other questions and asked about this while I was at it. Their inspector actually said the opposite:

When your Micro-drone is register, it fall under Part IX and stay under Part IX until de-register...At a certain point, you have to decide in which category you want to operate.

My interpretation was similar to yours from reading the rules, but they’re the ones who enforce it so I’m going to be careful in registering it as without safety assurance it pretty severely ties one’s hands. If I need more, it likely makes more sense to get a bigger aircraft and add accessories there. It’d be really easy to get into trouble thinking you’re operating under micro rules when you’re actually under small rules.

So, here's where it might get sticky... The 248g is without a memory card. Add that and you might be at 249. Add a sticker with registration info and you might hit 259g and will always (legally-speaking) have to fly under all of the Part IX rules. Obviously, flying with the prop guards will put you over the limit, too.

The minis are not certified for flying near people or within controlled airspace, so you would never be (legally) able to fly it within 30 metres of people or 5.8km of class C airspace, even with an Advanced certificate.

My advice - take it or not - enjoy the mini2 as a sub-250. Everything you learn about actually flying with the Mini 2 will apply when you get something that needs to be registered.

I just weighed mine and it’s only 239.4g with the battery and microsd card (sandisk extreme), so not sure if there’s some production variance there?

Either way, I’ve been enjoying her in stock form and have been really lucky with the weather so far. Have managed to log a little over 20 hours so far and am amazed at what this little guy can do - definitely planning on getting something larger in the future, but glad that I started with this.

Reactions: MavicPeter
Mini lighter than itself? [emoji3]

Many have reported MM2 weighed 238g.
I'm pretty sure the specd weights include the SD card. The MM1 weighs in at about 249g and if that didn't include the card, then it would be over the weight it was designed and marketed to fly for legal purposes.
The mini, with card weighs under 250g... just... If you even rest a second card on it, it hits 250g.

Had forgotten that I’d posted this. I ended up contacting Transport Canada about some other questions and asked about this while I was at it. Their inspector actually said the opposite:

My interpretation was similar to yours from reading the rules, but they’re the ones who enforce it so I’m going to be careful in registering it as without safety assurance it pretty severely ties one’s hands. If I need more, it likely makes more sense to get a bigger aircraft and add accessories there. It’d be really easy to get into trouble thinking you’re operating under micro rules when you’re actually under small rules.

I just weighed mine and it’s only 239.4g with the battery and microsd card (sandisk extreme), so not sure if there’s some production variance there?

Either way, I’ve been enjoying her in stock form and have been really lucky with the weather so far. Have managed to log a little over 20 hours so far and am amazed at what this little guy can do - definitely planning on getting something larger in the future, but glad that I started with this.
I didn't realize the mini 2 was that much lighter!

Is still say don't register it. Doing so will add unnecessary restrictions.

The mini, with card weighs under 250g... just... If you even rest a second card on it, it hits 250g.
Agreed, but it weights were stated without SD, where adding AD would put it at or overweight. As I stated, that's not the case.

Reactions: kevbac
The CARs Part IX is quite specific in its reference to weight, if 250g to 25g Basic or Advanced operations applies.
Unfortunately, TC people don't always get it right even when advising on the CARs. Drone Safety Week was a prime example. Welcome

Reactions: MrHawkeye
From the DJI website on the Mini2:

1. The standard weight of the aircraft (including battery, propellers, and a microSD card) is 242 grams. Actual poduct weight may vary. Registration is not required in some countries and regions. Check local rules and regulations before use. These specifications have been determined through tests conducted with the latest firmware. Firmware updates can enhance performance, so updating to the latest firmware is highly recommended.

From the DJI website on the Mini2:

1. The standard weight of the aircraft (including battery, propellers, and a microSD card) is 242 grams. Actual poduct weight may vary. Registration is not required in some countries and regions. Check local rules and regulations before use. These specifications have been determined through tests conducted with the latest firmware. Firmware updates can enhance performance, so updating to the latest firmware is highly recommended.
Very cool that they reduced the mass while adding functionality. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SkyTechDji