DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian Drone Pilot - Certification Requirements for Recreational Flying in the U.S.

cbest

Reactions
Hello. I have my Basic Pilot Certification for Drone Flying in Canada (Basic Recreational). Similar rules/parameters to the FAA regulations. I'm in the U.S. now and would like to fly my drone at some point. I've navigated through the FAA site with respect to foreign national requirements and I've even done an initial account setup on the FAA site. However, I'm stumped as to next steps as I'm unable to access some options that would theoretically help me (Fly Model Aircraft under Section 336, etc...).

Does anyone have some suggestions? Any Canadian pilots successful in registering with the FAA?

Any help is welcome. Thanks.

when the FAA finally posts their recreational testing online, the entire world will probably get access to the test and everyone in the world can get a valid "u.s. recreational drone license" if they pass.

Reactions: cbest
when the FAA finally posts their recreational testing online, the entire world will probably get access to the test and everyone in the world can get a valid "u.s. recreational drone license" if they pass.
Thanks Ken. Just so I'm clear at this point. Do all U.S. drone pilots have to be certified at this point with at least a "basic" recreational license?

Thanks Ken. Just so I'm clear at this point. Do all U.S. drone pilots have to be certified at this point with at least a "basic" recreational license?

Right now there is NO FAA/US Hobby Certification but it's in the works. The FAA is still creating the test and associated materials so it may be a few more months but that's only a guess.

Right now there is NO FAA/US Hobby Certification but it's in the works. The FAA is still creating the test and associated materials so it may be a few more months but that's only a guess.
Thanks very much. I appreciate your assistance.

FAA promised it by September... we’ll see if they make it. Good thing is it will apparently be an online test.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bbj5143