DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Canadian Fires- will this affect my August trip?

I thought I read somewhere / sometime ago that you must be a Canadian citizen to fly a drone in Canada for recreation purposes. Is that true or did I dream that?
If you are not a citizen you need a Special Flight Operations Certificate (SFOC) to fly a 250+ g drone (as well as the appropriate sRPAS license) and your drone must be registered.

If your drone is under 250 g you can fly legally, assuming you are obeying Transport Canada regulations.

Reactions: Chrislaf
If you are flying a Mini drone (<250g) that doesn’t have any accessories added, you should be ok as long as you follow the rules and do not fly in National Parks.

Chris

Reactions: Solsearcher
I cannot seem to get a handle on if this is extending to the Calgary and western areas, which would definitely affect my photography.
Calgary reached ACI of 10 a couple of weeks ago. Better now, but it was worse than NYC (which hit the international news).

I was just on the BC coast and there was a day when the skies were hazy from smoke but the rest of the time was clear. (Which wasn't good, actually — really needed rain.)

I've had days in the Rockies in the summer when I had clear skies and others that were smoky, even in a 'normal' year. This far out it's impossible to predict precisely, but all indications point to significantly more fires than usual, and the summer being possibly just as bad as the spring.

“Over the last 20 years, we have never seen such a large area burned so early in the season,” said Yon Boulanger, a researcher for Natural Resources Canada. “This is partially because of climate change. We’re seeing trends toward increasing this burned area throughout Canada.”

And there are indications that this early tinder box-like trend could continue through the summer.

Forecasts for June project the warm and dry conditions that have made the spring so flammable will continue through the month — and through most of the summer — creating a higher-than-normal potential for wildfires through most of the country.

If you are thinking about flying in Canadian National Parks, sadly that's not allowed anymore, see:

Use of drones at Parks Canada places

Quote from Parks Canada:
"Flying a drone without park or site approval may result in law enforcement action and a fine of up to $25000.
Flying for fun
All Parks Canada places are “no drone zones” for recreational use. Please leave your drone at home."

☹️

If you are thinking about flying in Canadian National Parks, sadly that's not allowed anymore, see:

Use of drones at Parks Canada places

Quote from Parks Canada:
"Flying a drone without park or site approval may result in law enforcement action and a fine of up to $25000.
Flying for fun
All Parks Canada places are “no drone zones” for recreational use. Please leave your drone at home."

☹️
Don't take your drones town, Bill. Leave your drones at home.

This was Edmonton a few days ago. The smoke can be there one day and gone the next, it all depends on wind direction. Impossible to predict in advance.

Fire Information for Resource Management System US / Canada If anyone is interested in the fires themselves, and not just the smoke.

My "real" job is IT for Parks Canada, by the way, so I have a little insight into the drone rules for Parks. ;)

20230614_164942.jpg

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: MS Coast and Torque
This was Edmonton a few days ago. The smoke can be there one day and gone the next, it all depends on wind direction. Impossible to predict in advance.

Fire Information for Resource Management System US / Canada If anyone is interested in the fires themselves, and not just the smoke.

My "real" job is IT for Parks Canada, by the way, so I have a little insight into the drone rules for Parks. ;)

View attachment 165425
If you're in the states and it quit causing problems here you don't even hear about it on the news.

I am mildly panicking about my long planned trip to Calgary/Banff/Louise/Icefields Pkwy/Jasper/Yoho/Mt. Robson in first 2 weeks of August. I cannot seem to get a handle on if this is extending to the Calgary and western areas, which would definitely affect my photography. I know we have a lot of Mavic Pilot members in Alberta.

Dale
Did you still go Dale?
BC province is still up in flames!

I am mildly panicking about my long planned trip to Calgary/Banff/Louise/Icefields Pkwy/Jasper/Yoho/Mt. Robson in first 2 weeks of August. I cannot seem to get a handle on if this is extending to the Calgary and western areas, which would definitely affect my photography.
I came across this thread to late to be of any help, but I hope your trip went well, Dale.

I see that @JavaJack has already linked the firesmoke.ca web site - it's very useful but I have to warn everyone that smoke distribution is totally dependent on the wind and that can change very quickly, especially in the mountains of the west. So while it's a great general guide, you can't put too many expectations on its forecast - particularly when you're looking at relatively small areas of interest.

On a large fire, the only thing that eventually puts it out is the winter rains/snow. A year after one of our big fires, there was actually a small flareup - there was some pocket that was still smoldering over the winter and almost a year after the fires started, it flared up with some smoke - it didn't amount to much but it shows how long fires can smolder undetected.
I am mildly panicking about my long planned trip to Calgary/Banff/Louise/Icefields Pkwy/Jasper/Yoho/Mt. Robson in first 2 weeks of August. I cannot seem to get a handle on if this is extending to the Calgary and western areas, which would definitely affect my photography. I know we have a lot of Mavic Pilot members in Alberta.
Showbox jiofi.local.html tplinklogin
Dale

Last edited:
On a large fire, the only thing that eventually puts it out is the winter rains/snow. A year after one of our big fires, there was actually a small flareup - there was some pocket that was still smoldering over the winter and almost a year after the fires started, it flared up with some smoke - it didn't amount to much but it shows how long fires can smolder undetected.
Just returned to Miami yesterday from 3 weeks in Canada- specifically, Canmore/ Banff/Louise area, Jasper, and Mt. Robson. We lucked out having most days sunny and nice but several days of very poor visibility, with blue haze, inability to even see the mountains from our condo, and no details in the mountains. Our last days was a full out rain storm on the Trans Canada Highway from Emerald Lake all the way back to Calgary. I felt sorry for the outgoing hords of tourists who had limited time at each site. I have tons of video and stills from my new Nikon Z8 (amazing camera). No drone footage, of course, due to National Parks being our main visiting sites. Video to come in about 4 weeks of work.

Dale\Sunny Miami

Just returned to Miami yesterday from 3 weeks in Canada- specifically, Canmore/ Banff/Louise area, Jasper, and Mt. Robson. We lucked out having most days sunny and nice but several days of very poor visibility, with blue haze, inability to even see the mountains from our condo, and no details in the mountains. Our last days was a full out rain storm on the Trans Canada Highway from Emerald Lake all the way back to Calgary. I felt sorry for the outgoing hords of tourists who had limited time at each site. I have tons of video and stills from my new Nikon Z8 (amazing camera). No drone footage, of course, due to National Parks being our main visiting sites. Video to come in about 4 weeks of work.

Dale\Sunny Miami
Sorry to hear that you lucked out Dale D, still looking forward to seeing the holiday pics.
Regards

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ryanhafeman