DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

2 Pro Canadian Rocky Mountains!

Were you using an ND filter? Beautiful country!
I'm pretty new so I do not know what a ND filter is, however when I bought the Mavic pro 2 there was a filter pack that came with it. For this picture there was no filters attached to the camera. I well need to learn more about the filters before I out any on.
An tha k you very much I appreciate it!

I'm pretty new so I do not know what a ND filter is, however when I bought the Mavic pro 2 there was a filter pack that came with it. For this picture there was no filters attached to the camera. I well need to learn more about the filters before I out any on.
An tha k you very much I appreciate it!
ND stands for "Neutral Density". These filters cut down the amount of light that reaches the sensor. You want that on a bright sunny day because it helps you control the look of the shot. Sometimes, at least here in Texas, it can be so bright on a sunny day that even if you stop down the iris to f22, the whites and lights are blown out. An ND filter will eliminate that. The higher the number on the filter, the more it decreases the light. Typically you see ND's in 4, 8, 16, maybe 32 for drones. You will see even higher numbers but those are for creating a special look. For example, you photograph a waterfall with an ND 64, use a slow shutter speed, maybe a low iris setting and the water looks blurry while everything around it is in sharp focus. This is tough to do with a drone because the camera, in that case, needs to be very still. You can get even less numbers on ND, like .05 or 512! You can also get a Variable ND filter which is one filter where you dial in the strength you want. Those are very popular with drones because you don't have to change the ND, just land and dial is more light reduction. Get good ones from Tiffin, PolarPro, Freewell or PGYTECH. Our colleagues on this forum will have ideas based on what they use.

ND stands for "Neutral Density". These filters cut down the amount of light that reaches the sensor. You want that on a bright sunny day because it helps you control the look of the shot. Sometimes, at least here in Texas, it can be so bright on a sunny day that even if you stop down the iris to f22, the whites and lights are blown out. An ND filter will eliminate that. The higher the number on the filter, the more it decreases the light. Typically you see ND's in 4, 8, 16, maybe 32 for drones. You will see even higher numbers but those are for creating a special look. For example, you photograph a waterfall with an ND 64, use a slow shutter speed, maybe a low iris setting and the water looks blurry while everything around it is in sharp focus. This is tough to do with a drone because the camera, in that case, needs to be very still. You can get even less numbers on ND, like .05 or 512! You can also get a Variable ND filter which is one filter where you dial in the strength you want. Those are very popular with drones because you don't have to change the ND, just land and dial is more light reduction. Get good ones from Tiffin, PolarPro, Freewell or PGYTECH. Our colleagues on this forum will have ideas based on what they use.
Hey Thank know so much for that info super appreciate it. There is so much to learn about filters and the camera and this gives me a great start!

that was good I,ve been new to drones for some seven years and needed to hear that too Thanks and those are some great shots

Reactions: Mavicrpo8808
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Poppy52