DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cannot turn off mavic 2 whilst its moving!!!

dougle00

Reactions
Hi guys,

I'm trying to land on a boat but it's impossible when the boats bobbing up and down. Nothing will turn off the drone, not emergency stop and not even pressing the battery physically when you grab the drone!

Try it, grab your drone, and wave your arm up and down as you try to turn off the drone, it's impossible.

Anyone got a workround?

Thanks

I am very confused... how did you grab the drone exactly?

If you do a hand landing correctly (hold the down stick whilst the drone is hovering above your other outstretched hand), the motors automatically stop, and then of course you can power off your drone.

If you try to pluck your drone out of the sky incorrectly, you can do serious damage to your drone and yourself.

Also confused.
Using emergency stop or pressing the battery shouldn't make any difference just because you are on a boat.

We "kill the motors" from a hand catch by quickly flippin the aircraft upside down.

• Open hand under aircraft
  • Descend into hand
  • Grasp aircraft in the very center of the body
  • Quickly flip aircraft upside down and motors suddenly STOP
We are flying Mavic Pro Platinum and Mavic 2 Pro aircraft and both work perfectly like this.

By " emergency stop" I assume you mean the CSC position. The response to the CSC position has two options, the default one, "breakdown ", does not leave its action at you discretion. You need to select the other option, " always" if you want to be able to stop the motors at solely your discretion.

Reactions: THE CYBORG
Reactions: Thomas B
Mavic 2 not shutting down Thanks for the replies all. Please see the video I made to explain the problem. Please have a look and let me know your thoughts: https://youtu.be/oTkp-MlPL0k

When you're holding Down Pitch/Power the aircraft is descending until it no longer senses any "movement" which indicates it has most likely touched down on terra firma. As long as the aircraft senses movement (moving it around by hand or on a tossing/pitching vessel) it has no way to know it's safe to power down.

FLIP IT OVER!!

This is the Mavic Air but your M2P should behave the same way:

Before posting #5 I tried it, doing precisely what you did and including roll and pitch as well, BUT with the CSC response option set to "always". It is necessary to hold the CSC position for 1 to 2 seconds to get the motors to stop. Such a short delay is, IMO, too short a delay to leave the "always" setting active so be careful if you change it to subsequently change it back to "breakdown". Which reminds me I need to switch it back to breakdown.

If you think about your demonstration, the drone senses the movement, it DOES NOT KNOW it is in your hand but does, I suspect, think that it is still airborne i.e.in flight. Would you want an airborne drone to stop its motors after 1 or 2 seconds of just throttle full closed? No!
Occasionally I use this 'thinking' to get my MM to hover off my hand as a launch, i.e. start the motors with the CSC, let them idle and then move my hand. I have also done it with and M2P but, as the M2P can give a bigger 'bite' than the MM, not often.

My longest, throttle continuously full closed descent has been from 870+ft with a Mavic Mini ( the height was due to an RTH height setting accident) it took a llllloooooonnnnnngggggg time to get it down.
If you watch you drone closely during a full speed vertical descent you are likely, mode depending, to see it wobble as it descends into turbulence from its own prop wash, your demonstration duplicates that to some extent.
The following videos may be of use to you.

You may find these two videos useful

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: dougle00
I use my M2 off a boat all the time and not come across this problem.

My recovery method is drone to hover and i reach up and grab underneath using fingers and thumb. My arm can then dampen movement and down/left always works to shut off.

The "landing on your hand" idea sounds horrific on a moving boat...

I looked at the video and it shows the AC was not in an emergency state. For all the AC knows, it's being bounced around by wind that it can handle.

If the CSC is set to emergency which is default, your demonstration is not an emergency so CSC stop is inhibited.

If you have CSC set to always, you didn't apply CSC long enough.
The stick commands for CSC can be used in legitimate flight, though really weird so the 2 second delay is in case you inadvertently transition through CSC for a legitimate acrobatic move.
With my P3, it seemed more than 2 to 3 seconds was needed. Seemed like 5.

I never use CSC to stop even after landing. With a P3, that could cause the AC to tip over. I do use it to start to idle though.

I think the delay on the Phantom IS more sensible, the 1 to 2 second delay of the Mavics? is, IMO, too short.
BUT I seem to remember DJI being condemned for it being so 'easily' triggered with the Phantoms, maybe this was their response and 'we' have only ourselves to blame.

"

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time.​

"

Thanks for all the helpful replies. I tried everything you all mentioned but it still wont shut down. Even the battery wont turn off including flipping.

The only thing I have left is the csc mentioons, does anyone know where the csc settings are on the app, I cant find a guide and the video above mentions safety settings advanced, but I'm not sure what he means.

In the 3 dot menus (top LHS of the screen) touch the quadcopter symbol and then go to the advanced options and the response-option itself is in there, but bear in mind the VERY SHORT delay that it uses. I would not recommend flying with "always" as your normal option.
In your case I would switch to it as you approach the boat, then switch back to the default "breakdown" for the next flight.... until you come to land again etc.etc.
People may say that that is daft but I once caught my self messing with the P3 and realised I had had the sticks in the CSC postion for a couple of seconds, fortunately the delay for the P3 is around 5 seconds but it shook me.
With the MM in "emergency only" mode (which equals the M2P/Z's breakdown) the CSC results in quite a nice helix especially in its slower flight modes. I am not going to try it with the M2P

Last edited by a moderator:
Shouldnt need a CSC to stop the motors. Holding down for 3 seconds should be enough (its what i do).
Easily doable with 1 hand.

I think he is experiencing problems due to movement of the boat causing his hand to move enough to fool the drone into thinking it is still airborne.

Reactions: dougle00
Thanks for all the helpful replies. I tried everything you all mentioned but it still wont shut down. Even the battery wont turn off including flipping.

The only thing I have left is the csc mentioons, does anyone know where the csc settings are on the app, I cant find a guide and the video above mentions safety settings advanced, but I'm not sure what he means.
Flipping onto its back doesn’t disarm the motors? It won’t turn the aircraft off, but the motors should stop.

I think he is experiencing problems due to movement of the boat causing his hand to move enough to fool the drone into thinking it is still airborne.

Maybe but ive never seen it before and thats how 90% of my flights are.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ParKOR