DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't fly farther than .5 miles

There seems to be a lot of smartass comments in here. I teach Physics for a living so that was especially "smartass"
For some reason I don’t believe that. Teachers don’t act this way to students or people in general, and they should be open to teaching people to learn, not telling them to “shut up” or calling people “smartass”.

Bottom line is that I was sharing my personal opinion . You replied by being a smartass.
My reply was being blunt with you, what are you expecting out of it?
If you teach physics then you should know the limitations and why make such a comment about it being a disappointment?
The mini uses enhanced WiFi. Ocusync operates on the exact same frequency as WiFi so it’s no surprise that in range tests they both perform equally on par with another. Without an antenna redesign or changing transmit power above and beyond the FCC limits, you can only do so much with 2.4 and 5.8ghz frequencies.

Reactions: nencmeister
I was expecting to get better distance than my mini. Comments such as yours tend to keep people from asking questions or expressing opinions.
Well, we are on an Internet forum and sometimes things that are said are interpreted differently depending who reads it. I was being sarcastic, and not meaning to piss you off. ?

I'm losing signal after flying 850m. I am a first time flyer, so I'm not sure if there is something wrong or if it's operator error. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Had the same problem but not now. if Anything is obstructing the signal you will not get the distance, I was flying up on a hill thought I would have a great connection!! I was wrong. Housing estates near by, and a phone mast about 1/2 mile away. I found manual settings to be better.
Always keep an eye on how many satellites you have, if it drops below 10 go somewhere els. I always look for no less than 12 satellites when I need more distance otherwise I fly close to home.
I learnt fast from this site and others. GL Pal...

Reactions: itsneedtokno
Had the same problem but not now. if Anything is obstructing the signal you will not get the distance, I was flying up on a hill thought I would have a great connection!! I was wrong. Housing estates near by, and a phone mast about 1/2 mile away. I found manual settings to be better.
Always keep an eye on how many satellites you have, if it drops below 10 go somewhere els. I always look for no less than 12 satellites when I need more distance otherwise I fly close to home.
I learnt fast from this site and others. GL Pal...
The amount of gps sats has nothing to do with your range. GPS sats are used for positioning the drone in space. The RF signal strength between your controller <-> drone is what determines how far your range can be.

Yes RF signal is what gives you your Range. Interference from built up area’s is what decreases the Range and a loss of gps is total loss of sight when flying at ridiculous distance. A combination of all I would say if you want to fly safe.

I'm losing signal after flying 850m. I am a first time flyer, so I'm not sure if there is something wrong or if it's operator error. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Please familiarise yourself with the rules and regulations appropriate to your country. Your post suggests you are not aware of VLOS. I Defy anybody that claims to be able to see their Mavic, even on a clear day without obstructions at 0.5 miles (800m). Be safe.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davidt2