DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't fly farther than .5 miles

Might also want to try turning off WiFi and Bluetooth on your phone. Don’t put in airplane mode as you would loose cell signal as well and not have access to maps.
If it’s an iPhone, then this does not truly turn off WiFi. You HAVE to put it in airplane mode.

I'm losing signal after flying 850m. I am a first time flyer, so I'm not sure if there is something wrong or if it's operator error. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
I sympathise as I've had the same problem with a Mavic Mini. But VHF signals don't go round corners; it's as simple as that; and they don't go through things very well either :) Yesterday, I tried out a pair of signal directors which are put behind the aerials and good line-of-site (one end of a large farm to the other :) and I got to 9000ft distance at about 140ft and stopped there. I still had picture but the controls were getting a bit ropey. That's illegal because there was no chance of being able to see the Mini at that distance and it's no excuse that the farmer is a friend :).

Interesting comment about putting the iPhone into Airplane mode. I have the Mavic Air 1, usually I can get a kilometer range, if I try. The phone has wifi etc on, so I will try that setting..:))

I've noticed signal drops pretty quickly with any obstructions. On my back porch, I have brick columns holding the roof up. If one of those is between me and the drone, the signal indicator turns orange. I also have a long tree line behind my house and it doesn't take many trees for the signal to drop if the drone is below the tree line.

Incase I missedyour first post, welcome to the forum from the beautiful woods of Maine!

Wow, 400ft? I've gone to 195ft, but that's as high as i have gone. I'm trying that tonight!
well that's pretty much why then... if you want the drone to go farther in distance you have to slightly raise the drones height while going out... This is needed in an urban environment or with tree interference / buildings etc.....now if you are in the wide-open sure you can keep it at 70 ft and go full out....

Reactions: Motorcycle Rider
Tree and building hurt a lot , i repeat a lot, in urban area you need a very open space , if possible the highest for less interference and direct los

Update: Flew up to 450ft a couple of nights ago, and was able to almost get to a mile away. Wasn't too much better but I think that does let me know I'm just in a low area with lots of trees that may block signal, rather than something wrong with the drone.

Check out drone rules for Commercial drone Rules (Part 107}
Section 107.31 Visual line of sight aircraft operation 2020.
The FFA recognizes that one of the issues small UAS is that a person on the ground cannot see and avoid other aircraft in the same manner as a pilot who is inside a manned aircraft. Please don't kill the messenger, but I encourage safe flying, and that the aircraft does not endanger the life or property of others. Check out VLOS info for flying a UAS, on the internet. I bought both of my MP's because of long distance flights, but want to observe the regulations and protect property and life of others. These rules also apply to recreational flying, Please Fly safe.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
Update: Flew up to 450ft a couple of nights ago, and was able to almost get to a mile away. Wasn't too much better but I think that does let me know I'm just in a low area with lots of trees that may block signal, rather than something wrong with the drone.
Have you registered with the FAA?

Not that this will effect your range, just wondering.

I'm losing signal after flying 850m. I am a first time flyer, so I'm not sure if there is something wrong or if it's operator error. Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
Give your expensive drone a big hug and a kiss goodbye if you're considering flying beyond 500m as besides breaking the law (500m is generally considered to be the maximum for VLOS), you risk losing the little fella! ??

Give your expensive drone a big hug and a kiss goodbye if you're considering flying beyond 500m as besides breaking the law (500m is generally considered to be the maximum for VLOS), you risk losing the little fella! ??

Genuinely curious as who will enforce this? And secondly who can make a good argument in front of the judge for justifying civil forfeiture? I'm sure a lawyer will have a good time with this

EDIT: I can just imagine the feds hiding behind trees in the middle of Arkansas ?

• Haha
Reactions: gb160 and Starz
well that's pretty much why then... if you want the drone to go farther in distance you have to slightly raise the drones height while going out... This is needed in an urban environment or with tree interference / buildings etc.....now if you are in the wide-open sure you can keep it at 70 ft and go full out....
I had mini up to 1500 ft n chickened out but air 2 worse than mini distance wise ffs mine comes on Monday 2300m at 90ft for mini distance wise

I had mini up to 1500 ft n chickened out but air 2 worse than mini distance wise ffs mine comes on Monday 2300m at 90ft for mini distance wise

Air 2 definitely not worse than mini, in any aspect. My air 2 flies higher, faster, farther than my mini in the same exact conditions, not even close. Not saying the Mini is not a beast, I absolutely love it and still fly it, but especially in congested areas, the occusync is just on another level. However a mini with some mods :) that's my next project. I don't want to give out numbers and get in to hot water with some sensitive members, but in the middle of the woods, very far away from civilization I took my MA2 higher than that, maxed it out as an experiment.

Air 2 definitely not worse than mini, in any aspect. My air 2 flies higher, faster, farther than my mini in the same exact conditions, not even close. Not saying the Mini is not a beast, I absolutely love it and still fly it, but especially in congested areas, the occusync is just on another level. However a mini with some mods :) that's my next project. I don't want to give out numbers and get in to hot water with some sensitive members, but in the middle of the woods, very far away from civilization I took my MA2 higher than that, maxed it out as an experiment.
Thank god thought I'd just wasted my money good to hear what kinda distance u had?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1