DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Can't take off from here!? (see pic)

ianmeg

Reactions
I was trying to fly my drone last week (DJI Mini 2) but the on-screen message on my DJI app informed me that I couldn't take-off due to the close proximity to a local airport.

However, as you can see from my image (I was operating from the blue dot near the middle of the picture) my take-off location was well outside the red circle which I believe is the FRZ.

Does anyone know how far outside an FRZ you need to be before a DJI Mini 2 will actually take off? I presumed that as long as you were outside of the red area it would be ok and would work fine. Thanks

Screenshot_20220317-200147(1).jpg

I thought the whole of the N.Down coast was darn near a no fly zone. Coupled with G. Best you have N'ards airfield 'behind' you?
This will be interesting.
Could it be anything to do with Stormont or the Ulster Hospital?

Last edited:
Reactions: ianmeg
The only thing that physically can prevent your DJI craft to fly is the DJI Fly Safe material uploaded onto your Mini 2.

You can look at the map & the restricted zones in your Fly app or directly on the web.
Here on the web --> Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

This is how it looks where you're trying to fly ... seems like you're inside that blue authorization zone (red cross)

1647550595333.png
1647550609407.png

The image you have posted is disingenuous.
If you zoom out, the whole of the area in your image is within the Belfast City CTR and a High Risk Area.
1647618092038.png
1647618208722.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you zoom out, the whole of the area in your image is within the Belfast City CTR and a High Risk Area...
All that is correct ... but it will not put up any messages in the DJI app & prevent take-offs if it's not included in the DJI Fly Safe material stored in the drone ... and the zone you point out isn't included.

But below is ... & that is what gives the take-off restriction.

1647619348202.png

I fly near a major airport in the Washington DC area and when I get within 1/2 mile of the FRZ. I get the same warning. I am able to launch but can only fly away from the FRZ even though I am not in it.

I thought the whole of the N.Down coast was darn near a no fly zone. Coupled with G. Best you have N'ards airfield 'behind' you?
This will be interesting.
Could it be anything to do with Stormont or the Ulster Hospital?
Thanks for the reply. I've flown in Dundonald before which is even closer to the Ards air field and it worked fine.

If you zoom out, the whole of the area in your image is within the Belfast City CTR and a High Risk Area.
View attachment 145453
View attachment 145454
Thanks for the reply. I get what you're saying about being inside the larger red rectangle that is in your image but this area is not completely relevant. I am able to fly in Bangor, Dundonald and Newtownbreda - all of which are in the larger red area.

I'd love to do an orbit around Scrabo but alas that's probably a complete no no.

The only thing that physically can prevent your DJI craft to fly is the DJI Fly Safe material uploaded onto your Mini 2.

You can look at the map & the restricted zones in your Fly app or directly on the web.
Here on the web --> Geo Zone Map - Fly Safe - DJI

This is how it looks where you're trying to fly ... seems like you're inside that blue authorization zone (red cross)

View attachment 145401
View attachment 145402

Thank you very much for your reply. Your image is very helpful as I can now see that the DJI app tells me that I'm inside the Authorisation Zone (large blue circle).

Instead of looking at the DJI app during my planning phase, I instead used my Drone Assist app which showed that I was well outside the FRZ. I hadn't counted on the official DJI app having its own in-built maps and zoned areas.

It appears that the maps/zones on the two apps don't marry up, so while Drone Assist says I'm outside the FRZ the DJI app says I can't fly. It's a shame that DJI are using their own maps as they don't seem to tally up with the actual FRZ of the George Best City Airport.

Here is what both apps show, first the DJI app and then the Drone Assist app (the yellow 'X' was my proposed take-off point).

Looks like I need to travel south a short distance and then it would be ok to take-off. If I'd used my Parrot drone it would've worked ok as it doesn't seem to have any geo-fencing/GPS issues at all.

Attachments

• DJI App.jpg
    DJI App.jpg
    535.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Drone assist app.jpg
    Drone assist app.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I'd love to do an orbit around Scrabo but alas that's probably a complete no no.

I've heard anecdotally that lots of people use their drones in and around Scrabo Tower despite being close to the airfield. I also heard a story from a pilot who has seen drones flying over Londonderry Park on his approach to the runway. Very dangerous! That park couldn't really be any closer to the airfield. It seems that nobody cares about the rules!

If you did want to film Scrabo legitimately I guess you could ask permission from the airfield first. Maybe tell them that you propose flying at a set date and time when you know the airfield will be closed. Getting in to the summer I'm sure you could be up there at 5am and have no run-ins with nearby aircraft.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tflys78