DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Cape Canaveral, Drones and Cruise Ships

• Thread starter Deleted member 93449
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 93449

I'm in Florida for a few months and staying in Cocoa Beach only a few miles fro Cape Canaveral. There was suppose to be a rocket launch at 6:10 pm so my wife and I drove the ten minutes to an observation area near the launch facility. While waiting I checked Airmap to see if the area was a no fly zone anticipating that the powers that be would not appreciate a drone flying in the vicinity of a $50 million rocket launch. My instinct proved to be correct.

Also while waiting a massive cruise ship set sail taking vacationers south, probably to enjoy some warm weather in the Caribbean. This happened about 15 minutes before launch time. The countdown for launch continued but at T minus 30 seconds the countdown was halted. The announcement came that a cruise ship was not clear of the space surrounding the launch area required for the launch to occur.

This launch had been delayed two or three days due to weather. I'm flabbergasted that no one considered the coordination of a rocket launch and the departure of a cruise ship in planning the timing of this launch. I don't know what it cost to fuel, unload and then refuel this rocket with a million pounds of rocket fuel but I imagine it's tens of thousands of dollars. The folks working on this launch are some of the brightest minds on the planet but I guess even they can have a duh moment.

Reactions: jayarr
I live not too far from there and it seems that rocket launches (and their occasional delays and rescheduling) are so frequent these days that the TFRs around the Cape are darned near permanent.

I looked at filming the lock into Port Canaveral and learned the port has a process you can use to obtain permission to fly there. I haven't tried it yet. Anyone used this? Occasionally, I have friends leaving and arriving on cruise ships there. It would be neat to get their pic on the ship from a drone.

Just an fyi that the launch went off today although just as I got to the observation area I saw another cruise ship leaving. I'm thinking, oh no, not again. But the launch went off on time and was amazing to watch. The second stage separated carrying the payload south while the first stage continued upward and then returned to the launch area followed by two sonic booms. We've come a long way from the early Mercury program. There's another Starlink launch tomorrow. Exciting for me but no big deal for the locals.

Reactions: Wade L.
Just an fyi that the launch went off today although just as I got to the observation area I saw another cruise ship leaving. I'm thinking, oh no, not again. But the launch went off on time and was amazing to watch. The second stage separated carrying the payload south while the first stage continued upward and then returned to the launch area followed by two sonic booms. We've come a long way from the early Mercury program. There's another Starlink launch tomorrow. Exciting for me but no big deal for the locals.
If you’re into that sort of thing, the Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex is definitely worth a visit. But leave your drone at home. 😂

I looked at filming the lock into Port Canaveral and learned the port has a process you can use to obtain permission to fly there. I haven't tried it yet. Anyone used this? Occasionally, I have friends leaving and arriving on cruise ships there. It would be neat to get their pic on the ship from a drone.
Check out Can you help me force Port Canaveral Florida to allow drones as they currently violate Florida laws and you will discover that the Port cannot require you to register BUT the Port will get you trespassed because they don't think they have to follow the law.

I live not too far from there and it seems that rocket launches (and their occasional delays and rescheduling) are so frequent these days that the TFRs around the Cape are darned near permanent.
Interestingly the TFR does not cover the Port as per my reading of the FAA chart. However, there is a class D airspace that chops through the Port bu,t there are times that the airport is closed and the airspace reverts to class G. Please verify using the FAA chart supplement.

Having said all of this the Port has a rule against flying drones which is in conflict with Florida Statute 330.41. See Can you help me force Port Canaveral Florida to allow drones as they currently violate Florida laws

Since I don't want to get trespassed or arrested I am not flying my drone in the Port. Imagine getting trespassed for what appears to be a legal activity. Please do not take my advice on any legal matters as this does not constitute legal advice.

I'm in Florida for a few months and staying in Cocoa Beach only a few miles fro Cape Canaveral. There was suppose to be a rocket launch at 6:10 pm so my wife and I drove the ten minutes to an observation area near the launch facility. While waiting I checked Airmap to see if the area was a no fly zone anticipating that the powers that be would not appreciate a drone flying in the vicinity of a $50 million rocket launch. My instinct proved to be correct.

Also while waiting a massive cruise ship set sail taking vacationers south, probably to enjoy some warm weather in the Caribbean. This happened about 15 minutes before launch time. The countdown for launch continued but at T minus 30 seconds the countdown was halted. The announcement came that a cruise ship was not clear of the space surrounding the launch area required for the launch to occur.

This launch had been delayed two or three days due to weather. I'm flabbergasted that no one considered the coordination of a rocket launch and the departure of a cruise ship in planning the timing of this launch. I don't know what it cost to fuel, unload and then refuel this rocket with a million pounds of rocket fuel but I imagine it's tens of thousands of dollars. The folks working on this launch are some of the brightest minds on the planet but I guess even they can have a duh moment.

It was not the cruise ship we both saw leaving at launch time but a ship down range.

There is a huge area of restricted airspace around cape Kennedy, can you get B4UFLY app?

I have specific experience flying here as I live in Orlando. You can fly in cocoa beach no worries. You just cannot fly near the port. You have to stay south.

As far as flying at port canaveral, even though it will not show a restriction and the drone will take off, you will be tracked down and told to land the drone and not fly. They know exactly where you are flying from. The officer that came to me said they have the software to force the drone to land, however they prefer not to do it this way and I stead ask the pilot to land it. Which is exactly what they did. They asked to see my drivers license and I complied no problem. Officer looked at it and said to please not fly and was very congenial. Whether legal or not I understand now why they don’t want people flying there and around the cruise ships.

If you want to film the cruise ships coming out of port, just go further south and fly from the beach. And be smart, keep your distance from the ships and other boats. Attached is shot from when I got in trouble.🤦🏻‍♂️ And the one photo actually shows the port police pulling up behind me.

Attachments

• B198DDFE-6785-4B26-AF61-33D6F648F612.jpeg
    B198DDFE-6785-4B26-AF61-33D6F648F612.jpeg
    8.8 MB · Views: 6
  • 9EA7CC85-9B9F-41D5-8CCA-A05EADAD1389.jpeg
    9EA7CC85-9B9F-41D5-8CCA-A05EADAD1389.jpeg
    9.4 MB · Views: 6
Reactions: mike foy
You can apply with the port for permission to fly a drone from their property. That huge no fly area around launches is a regular occurance for us locals. I imagine you can get exceptions but I'm sure you would have to apply well in advance and have a good reason you could not wait until after the launch.

• Wow
Reactions: Hobiemark

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wlochaty