DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Capture photos while shooting video?

Skinny719

Reactions
Hi All. I'm eagerly awaiting my first camera drone (Air 2S). I haven't been able to find this on other posts or the countless youtube video reviews I've watched.

Can you capture full-res/full-sensor RAW/DNG photos while shooting 4K video on this drone?

Not full res, but you could extract stills with ffmpeg and up res them in photoshop.

Good point, you can pull the 4K frames from the time line . we do that a lot for Lightning pictures.
Just about any Editing software will have that feature.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2/S in the Rain and Land on the Water.

Reactions: NDWildBill
If I want to shoot both video and stills, I will often land the drone and remove my ND filter prior to shooting the stills. I do this for paid work, but for just playing around I'll switch the mode to stills and click away, accepting the lower shutter speed.

My Evo 2 can take pics while the video is on. Also, unlike my DJIs I can zoom in , in both picture mode and video mode. Not sure why DJI doesn't have a zoom in Picture mode, only vid mode.

My Evo 2 can take pics while the video is on. Also, unlike my DJIs I can zoom in , in both picture mode and video mode. Not sure why DJI doesn't have a zoom in Picture mode, only vid mode.
It's unlikely to take full resolution photos while the video is on.
It's just going to be recording a frame from the video.

There aren't many cameras that can independently shoot stills while recording video.

It's unlikely to take full resolution photos while the video is on.
It's just going to be recording a frame from the video.

There aren't many cameras that can independently shoot stills while recording video.
Does picture mode take photos with more data as compared to a video frame? I looked at the pics that I took while the video is on. While the video is running the 6k camera takes a 20megapixel still image, the 8k camera takes a 48 megapixel still image. So, does the difference have to do with how much image data and detail is taken when in picture mode?

Last edited:
Reactions: PeterPatrick
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Whitehammer661