DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Car Campers: Do you take your drone car camping? Is condensation a problem? Heat?

dronerat

Reactions
I’m thinking of taking my drone car camping. I’d leave the drone (Air 2S and extra batteries/controller) in the car overnight. My worry is that when I wake up there might be condensation. For those of you who have car camped, is this ever a problem? Do you have any issues leaving your drone in the car?

Not likely. There is more of a condensation problem when you take the drone from a well-air-conditioned vehicle out on a very hot/humid day.

Reactions: SethB and MS Coast
I fly all the time in bakersfield and I leave my batterys in my little shed Never a problem just don't do it in the daytime lol

If you're really worried about it you can get some Wisedry at Amazon. Large packets of silica Gel Desiccant that can be rejuvinated. I've even used them to pull moisture out of lenses. Get some large ziplock bags and put the packets in with the drone and batteries. No more worries.

I took my DSLR gear car camping multiple times, leaving it locked in the trunk. No problems with condensation.

Depending on where/when you're camping, you might be concerned about temperatures.

Is the interior of your car typically wet in the morning? Are items that you store in the car wet in the morning? Has your car radio been damaged by condensation?

If you're sleeping inside the car and your respiration is causing enough condensation to damage electronic gear such as a drone, you definitely need to ventilate the car better.

Not likely. There is more of a condensation problem when you take the drone from a well-air-conditioned vehicle out on a very hot/humid day.
This is how condensation occurs. Cold gear meets air of higher humidity at a higher temperature.

I suggest watching to see if the problem actually shows up before making a solution that may not be needed at all!

11 days camping in a very small van and no issues when I had my drone with me.
Did have silica gel packs around it in its case, but that's no change for me as always had loads of those gel packs with it.

Reactions: wsteele
Heat would definitely be a concern. Depending on how hot it gets where you are car camping, those batteries do not like getting hot. Also, if you’re using the DJI RC, being left in a hot car will affect its performance. Mine was in a hot car for just a couple hours and when I grabbed it to fly, the controller lagged a lot.

Reactions: michaeldallen1
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
henryairsoft1