DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Card reader ?

KingRat

Reactions
This is ging to sound stupid, but how do you get the pictures off the card please? I have it in a holder and then in card reader plugged into the computer. When I do this with my D4s, the pictures automatically download into the 'Nikon Transfer' folder. This is the only digital camera system I have known, until now. The D2X, then D3 and now D4s... but they all used the same transfer and editing program.

When I plug the drone card in, nothing happens. What program do I need to transfer the DJI RAW images and then what do I need to process the please? I got my first pictures tonight, but I have no idea how to deal with them now. The videos I have watched, upwards of 200 hours at a guess, none of them tell you this bit. Or if they do, I haven't found those videos yet.

Many thanks.

Are you trying to transfer them to a computer running windows? If so on my laptop it just opens the card as if it were any other card. I see the, for me, normal DCIM folder and in that the 100Media folder in which the photos and videos are stored. From memory that's the same folder path as the ones I see with my Canon or Olympus cameras

My computer doesn't do anything. The blue light from the card reader is lit though. I was expecting some kind of prompt, but there is nothing.

DO you have a card slot on your computer or perhaps in your printer and can your reader currently read any other card?
My laptop has a card slot that accepts SD cards and normally I put the mSD card from the drone into an mSD to SD adapter and put the adapter in the SD slot. Sometimes I put the mSD card straight into a USB mSD card reader but there's no difference in the end result

Windows, and most other desktop operating systems, allow you to control which application runs by default when an event happens, in this case the insertion of a card in the reader slot. The Nikon Transfer install automatically sets that default for you (Gee, thanks Nikon!). It's an amateurish design IMHO. So you have to turn it off manually.

In other words, in this case it's not appropriate to assume that Nikon Transfer should always handle that particular event so you should just turn off the default setting that triggers Nikon Transfer at card insertion time. Then you can just use File Manager to copy the files to your hard drive, or select any other app on your system to open the files.

I mean, I love Nikon hardware and its onboard software; the stuff they put out for desktop applications not so much.

Last edited:
Ahh got you, I think.
I seem to remember Canon software trying the same thing

Reactions: rehkram
Or you could google 'nikon transfer turning it off' and get a few hits, around 4 million... :)

I'm guessing that the OP when installing elected to have Nikon Transfer start automatically on system boot. Not a great idea having it running 24/7, IMO

The link I posted above tells you how to turn that startup option off. You can still open Nikon Transfer manually if you're uploading from your Nikon camera, and shut it down when done. It does not need to be running all the time, if ever, actually!

Last edited:
Are you trying to transfer them to a computer running windows? If so on my laptop it just opens the card as if it were any other card. I see the, for me, normal DCIM folder and in that the 100Media folder in which the photos and videos are stored. From memory that's the same folder path as the ones I see with my Canon or Olympus cameras

When I put the card reader in, which works for my Nikon compact (P7800) it works straight away, but again because it is Nikon it is picked up by Nikon Transfer and does it straightaway. I don't have to go and look for anything, it immediately loads Nikon transfer, the pictures automatically transfer to the computer as small images, then all I do is press the 'Start Transfer' button and they go into a new folder, automatically created and numbered in Nikon Transfer. If I then click on a picture, it fires up NX2 and appears in the editing program, with sliders for light, brightness, contrast, saturation etc... eraser for dust, all the simple clean up things you need. I can then either just click the red cross and it asks to save the changes.... or 'save as' and save the edited picture and leave the original untouched (doubles the amount of space needed mind).

When I put the drone card in, the card reader is lit up, but then the computer is sat there waiting for me to do something. I don't know what to do. Is there a program that will work for the DJI pictures in the same way the Nikon ones are dealt with?

PS - I mention the compact because it is the same card reader. The D4s uses a compact flash and a much bigger card reader, but the same downloading and editing program.

DO you have a card slot on your computer or perhaps in your printer and can your reader currently read any other card?
My laptop has a card slot that accepts SD cards and normally I put the mSD card from the drone into an mSD to SD adapter and put the adapter in the SD slot. Sometimes I put the mSD card straight into a USB mSD card reader but there's no difference in the end result

Yes, the card readr goes into the slot on the side of the computer. It is the same type of plug that is on the end of the wire that goes into the controller set for the drone - in the bottom centre. It works perfectly with the card from the compact, but nothing happens when it has the card from the drone in it, but it is live, because the blue light comes on.

I don't understand that. It sounds a bit complicated for me. I love the way the Nikon just does it for me, it is so easy, and FAST. 500 pictures from the D4s takes less than a couple of mnutes to go onto the computer.

I abandoned MS Windows a long time ago but know you can tell it not to use Nikon Transfer as the default app when an SD card is inserted. I haven't tested this myself but see this: Disabling Automatic Launch of Nikon Transfer 2 (Windows) | ViewNX-i Help | Nikon

I have only ever seen Windows. Up until recently Windows 98 and Windows XP, then just after Christmas I uprgaded them to Windows 7.... I think I was taken for a ride because now I find out it is no good. This, another, new computer is Windows 10, but is working like Windows 7, apparently. I don't know - I am not a computer user really, only for my pictures and email. Otherwise it is an electronic typewriter for writing my features on. That's it. Until I got the drone I hadn't watched you tube, used it to upload so I could send it to places, but I didn't realise what was on there.

Windows, and most other desktop operating systems, allow you to control which application runs by default when an event happens, in this case the insertion of a card in the reader slot. The Nikon Transfer install automatically sets that default for you (Gee, thanks Nikon!). It's an amateurish design IMHO. So you have to turn it off manually.

In other words, in this case it's not appropriate to assume that Nikon Transfer should always handle that particular event so you should just turn off the default setting that triggers Nikon Transfer at card insertion time. Then you can just use File Manager to copy the files to your hard drive, or select any other app on your system to open the files.

I mean, I love Nikon hardware and its onboard software; the stuff they put out for desktop applications not so much.

Actually I love the way it does it so easily when I need to download pictures while the battery is charging. I was dong 3 sometimes 4 features a day a few years ago - I needed easy and fast. That is the only downloading system I have ever knwn.

Or you could google 'nikon transfer turning it off' and get a few hits, around 4 million... :)

I'm guessing that the OP when installing elected to have Nikon Transfer start automatically on system boot. Not a great idea having it running 24/7, IMO

The link I posted above tells you how to turn that startup option off. You can still open Nikon Transfer manually if you're uploading from your Nikon camera, and shut it down when done. It does not need to be running all the time, if ever, actually!

How is it running 24 / 7? When I am not using my computer I turn it off. I haven't looked at the link yet (I didn't realise until now it was one) I am just going down the list of replies, answering each in turn. THANK YOU everyone for your help... off to see what 'that link' says.

Is there a good program that will download and that I can edit these RAW pictures with please?

I abandoned MS Windows a long time ago but know you can tell it not to use Nikon Transfer as the default app when an SD card is inserted. I haven't tested this myself but see this: Disabling Automatic Launch of Nikon Transfer 2 (Windows) | ViewNX-i Help | Nikon

THANK YOU.. that explained a lot. It says I could use Nikon Transfer for 'other devices', wich woud be brilliant if it will work with these pictures. Can NX2 process the DJI pictures does anyone know? Or will it only work with Nikon RAW? I have got to try and get them off the card before I can put one in to try it. I have not done any computer settings before, it has always been set up for me and I just leave it well alone.

I've made something to show you the steps.
Look here:

I am looking at this now... I can see the boxes, but it is too small for me to see any of the writing in them. Where do I find Windows Explorer? Do I have to download it? I know this might sound basic, but I have never used a computer to this level. It halways been set up so it works automatically for me.

I am sorry, I should have said 'thank you' for what you have done and your help. I am in such a whirl with all this information. It is totally different system to what I have been used to I am getting overwhelmed with it all.

What prgram processes the drone RAW pictures please?

If you right click on your desktop.
Go to Personalise.
Themes.
Desktop Icon Settings
Tick this PC
You should now get a permanent This PC icon on your desktop .
If you double left klick on that it will show you your drives including your SD card.
Double left click on your card then copy whatever you want to a new folder on your PC.
This is for Windows 10 but am pretty sure it is basically the same for earlier versions, I cant remember.

A good free RAW editor is Darktable, you can download HERE

Reactions: rehkram
If you right click on your desktop.
Go to Personalise.
Themes.
Desktop Icon Settings
Tick this PC
You should now get a permanent This PC icon on your desktop .
If you double left klick on that it will show you your drives including your SD card.
Double left click on your card then copy whatever you want to a new folder on your PC.
This is for Windows 10 but am pretty sure it is basically the same for earlier versions, I cant remember.

A good free RAW editor is Darktable, you can download HERE

Thank you. That sounds incredibly complicated compared to the Nikon system, where it just does it as soon as the card reader is pushed in!

I have had a look at Darktable - blimey, I didn't even understand the FAQs. There are so many different things to know... I saw Uubuntu, that was one word I can remember from it. I have no idea what all that is about. So I haven't installed it, because I am not sure about it. That doesn't mean I won't, I need to find out more first.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gfusato